1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. subashchandrapoudel

subashchandrapoudel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linux is a lot lot lot more better than windows.
    Specially for a tech and science geek like me.

I use windows only to run windows programs like visual studio and autocad which are not well supported by Wine in my ubuntu.

subashchandrapoudel, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  2. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Tried MonoDevelop or BricsCAD?

Alastair Gilfillan, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    No self-respecting *nix developer would. Mono has no place on *nix and .NET crap makes no sense on *nix. It's Microsoft's attempt to infect the *nix community and, after all these years, their attempt has failed because *nix developers are far smarter than that.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  4. GalacticHost

GalacticHost Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd use linux over windows any-day to be quite honest.

GalacticHost, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  5. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    First, almost all the pc games are made for windows so If u like games then linux is no option
    Second, most of the great softwares like photoshop etc are not available for linux
    Third, hmmmm

Well i cant think of more points in favour of windows:D I have both windows and linux installed on my pc. Thats the best way to go. Although 80% of the time i use windows..

karan.digital, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Get a XBox if you only need a computer to play your games, kid.
    Photoshop is the best you can do? We can run Photoshop on *nix through Wine but most of the great Linux software is not available on Windows.

7. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP comes inbuilt into most Linux distros and it can perform most of the functions that Photoshop can. Having said that I also use Windows a lot more than Linux as I agree with your point that Windows has more software compatibility (and IMO smoothness too) compared to Linux for PC use.

waziuz, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It absolutely does not! In fact, Windows can barely run *nix software. So that makes it a lousy operating system. It's hardly compatible with anything!

9. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    The general view seems to be that Linux is shit because people can't play games nor has Adobe released Creative Suite for Linux. Quite the varied use of OSs you people have! :p

I agree and wouldn't use it myself but C# is a deal-breaker for a friend of mine so he either has to pay for the privilege of slumming it in Windows with Visual Studio or alternatively use MonoDevelop with Linux. C# being a university requirement for him.

Alastair Gilfillan, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  10. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    Ohhh so you think i am a kid because i play games. I dont think a kid can play most of the games i play. According to a report 217 Million People Play Online Games. So you say that i buy an xbox or ps3 just to play games when i can play a lot of great games in windows... Thats stupid. And there is a reason why windows is the most popular OS. Although its not the most stable.

I dual boot windows and linux and i use windows for the 80% of time. N someone said that in future almost everyone will be using non windows os. Well wait for windows 8 and you will see for yourself.. Check out http://digital-worldz.blogspot.com/2011/07/windows-8-features.html for windows 8 features. I love both windows and linux but i am not a fanboy of any of them who supports 1 os eyes closed without knowing any facts:D

karan.digital, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a university requirement because the uni was given free software and hardware from Microsoft in their bribe attempt to convert more users to becoming Windows users. Unfortunately for him, the mobile world and, perhaps, the desktop world is making a turn towards *nix which will leave him in the dark and out of a job.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  12. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
  14. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool video. But one thing surprises me. The video is 6 yrs old. I cant think why it isnt that popular still:/

15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    How would you know? Do you run *nix?

16. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    Yep. They didn't get the market share for having top-quality products but the bribes and developer and vendor lock-ins. He and I both know he's unfortunately going down the wrong path. :eek:

What the shit is that haha. "Windows" (I can't see them) Phone is rubbish, now it's wide-screen rubbish.No excuses for not knowing the time (22:48) or the current season (autumn) with that OS. :p

It's too free. There must be a catch or restrictive licence as nothing in life is free!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  17. Guisbar

Guisbar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you plan to do. Windows is good for most everyone, even tech-minded people. Linux allows you to tweak a few more things that Windows might rope off. Windows costs money, but Linux is free. But some people are willing to pay for Windows, mainly because it comes with the purchase of a computer in most countries.

Linux has become somewhat of a de facto when it comes to choosing an OS for a server. But it all depends on what you want to do.

Guisbar, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Pfft. A few? *nix is highly configurable and much easier to do so. Windows is much more rigid.

19. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    People don't choose Windows. They accept Windows or they choose MacOS or Linux. It isn't a choice when the computer they buy comes with it pre-installed with no options for other OSs. I suppose it's a similar scenario for MacOS but those people have converted from Windows by choice.

20. headstar

headstar Member

Best Answers:
    Flavors Really gives a superior effect to Linux.

headstar, Jul 5, 2011 IP