1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used and enjoy using Linux and UNIX based OS's daily. If Linux had the gaming support that Windows did (from the game devs and Nvidia/ATI) then I would drop Windows entirely.

KolorKode, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Get a XBox if all you need a computer for is games.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  3. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ha!
    cheers drhowarddrfine I needed a laugh today.

KolorKode, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  4. Mithuasha

Mithuasha Banned

Best Answers:
    This is good distinction between Windows and Linux...
    but i want to add one thing that windows always require an antivirus to protect itself but linux never recommend any antivirus.

Mithuasha, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  5. Chankey Pathak

Chankey Pathak Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a RHCE and believe me "Linux rocks" \m/

Chankey Pathak, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  6. Eddy19

Eddy19 Peon

Best Answers:
    Window is best because its more user friendly, no doubt linux has got more security than the windows.

Eddy19, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  7. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just because Linux doesn't have as many viruses don't assume that's in not just as susceptible. It's just a numbers game for the malware writers.

KolorKode, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Another clueless poster who thinks he knows how computers work. This statement is blatantly false and is used by most Windows users who also don't know anything about how computers really work.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  9. Achiever

Achiever Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    windows is better than Linux because in the Windows there is a ability to support any software and which are easily available. so i think that Windows is better than Linux. thanks!

Achiever, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  10. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    We don't assume; we know it's common knowledge that it isn't as susceptible. :)
    Bad news: Linux supports much more Windows software than Windows does Linux software! :eek:

Alastair Gilfillan, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  11. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Clueless? Oh son I am disappoint.
    So I guess ELF is not just another file format like PE and that RST, Alaeda, Nuxbee, Rike (etc etc etc) are all just figments of my imagination and not threats that have been seen in the while.
    Don't prepend Dr to your name and think you're the shit son, I've worked in the anti malware field and I can guarantee you the threats are real and out there, albeit on a smaller scan than they are for Windows.

KolorKode, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You should be disappointed. You are clueless.
    You think that just because *nix uses file formats that that makes *nix just as susceptible as Windows? Clueless.
    You also think that because banks are popular that they're just as easy to break into as a safe at someone's home? You are clueless just like most Windows users are.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  13. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh here we go, the guy who shouts the loudest knows the most right?
    I use Linux and FreeBSD daily if you bothered to read the thread you'd have seen that. The fact I use Windows too makes me clueless?
    Linux programs are no different than Windows programs. Yes, they have a different file format (http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/white-papers/wp-linux-viruses-elf-file-format.pdf), but in regards to form and function they are the same. They have a header, a data/resource section,a code section and an entry point. Any program that is capable of being written to is capable of being infected. Benny from 29A even wrote a (proof of concept) cross platform file infect many years ago capable of infecting PE and ELF files. If you're going to stand here and bury your head in the sand over that fact that's fine by me, I have a multitude of examples to back up my argument ... you have your own misguided delusions.

KolorKode, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  14. Wad!e

Wad!e Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's difficult. but if you have been using Windows for years,then it will be a totally new world for you..

Wad!e, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  15. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It just happens that ubuntu is more user friendly then the latest windows systems

Genesis1, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously not.
    From the rest of the post I would call you a liar but that might get me in trouble.
    And therein lies your amateur conclusion. Just because any program can be infected does NOT mean any operating system can be infected by that program. In fact, there has been NO successful virus or trojan in the *nix world in something over 10 years and, even then, the last one lasted only a couple of days and was squashed. But you wouldn't know that because you think there is no difference among OSes and they can be infected the same way. You apparently think anyone can become infected on *nix just by downloading an infected email like you can on Windows.

If *nix is as easily infected, and the rest of the world outside the desktop runs on *nix, why do you never hear of it happening? (Because it's NOT TRUE, that's why!)

Now I could get all technical on your @ss but I'm sure it would be waaaayyyy over your head.

17. KolorKode

KolorKode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You don't even have to do that. Remember the two biggest exploit vectors for Windows this year have not been in the OS themselves, but in 3rd party applications such as Java and Adobe PDF reader and Adobe Flash. Guess what ... the same vulnerability affected the Linux versions too. Linux is just as susceptible to malware as Windows is. There are 2 points I would like to add though. Firstly I would say that the average Linux user is more IT/Security concious (although with "desktop distros" this is changing) and thus stays on top of software patching more rigorously . Secondly ... the money is just not there to made from Linux malware. Malware writer go where the money lies.

KolorKode, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, you claim that a Java and PDF exploit on Windows can somehow affect Linux. Since ALL executables must be give explicit permission by the user or root to execute and write to files beforehand on *nix, how in the world do these programs manage to do that on their own? And even if a stupid user did go through the trouble of giving it permissions, they can't bring the whole OS down cause they aren't root. And if they're running as root, they're just as dumb as a Windows user and shouldn't be using *nix in the first place.

19. gbatemper

gbatemper Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows is better, generally. But they are both used in many different things.

gbatemper, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  20. supernal

supernal Member

Best Answers:
    Windows is more user friendly but Linux is a far more powerful OS.

supernal, Jul 3, 2011 IP