1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. wolvereen123

wolvereen123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey this is all of u guys
    window for dumbs and linx for those who have capability to face challenges .

wolvereen123, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  2. TheMissingLink007

TheMissingLink007 Peon

Best Answers:
    they are both good but i like windows the best all except for windows vista it sucked i'm excited for the windows 8 to come out.

TheMissingLink007, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  3. rashidbm

rashidbm Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, in my opinion both Windows and Linux are two great OS.

rashidbm, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  4. AdsMakeSense

AdsMakeSense Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Linux when coding or web browsing...
    You'll never have to spend a penny on software when you use Linux.

However if you game a lot, Windows would be better.
    As VirtualBox has it's graphical limits.

AdsMakeSense, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  5. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't go that far haha. Windows is for people not willing to break the mould and try something unfamiliar even if it's an improvement for them.
    They're both good? I'd say they're the two best OS families though I prefer the free, efficient one that I can trust with my information. I disagree about Vista. Apart from poor driver support it was a good improvement to XP as 7 is to Vista. Lack-of-Windows 8 looks to be a joke though. When did Microsoft that 90% of the world no longer needs to be productive (by default!) and have a bloody slideshow/phone interface on a desktop? I think it's going to further put Microsoft on the consumer-exclusive path rather than the business path that made them what they...were a decade or half ago.

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Lemming.
    Absolutely false!
    You mean Windows software doesn't run on Linux? That's why I don't use Windows. Not all Linux software runs on Windows. So that means Windows sucks.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  7. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    What a brilliant argument there: Something's better because more people use it...

Alastair Gilfillan, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  8. mim24

mim24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    fifth: windows is easy, linux is not

mim24, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    True. Linux is for professionals. Windows is for amateurs. But Linux distributions are now much easier for amateurs than in the past.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  10. Buwa

Buwa Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows RoX!

Buwa, Jun 27, 2011 IP
  11. itrc

itrc Peon

Best Answers:
    but its not user friendly as windows is ? any how comparatively Linux is good for advance users

itrc, Jun 28, 2011 IP
  12. leonidasblaze

leonidasblaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Ubuntu is certainly very popular these days. I am running Mandriva, but I thought I could install Ubuntu next to it. Linux Magazine had a Ubuntu DVD closed last month, but I came to the news agency in the bye-payment. Usually, there are still a few copies of Linux Magazine in the stand 2 or 3 weeks after they arrive, but the release of Ubuntu was less than a week and I lost my copy.

leonidasblaze, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  13. a_smith

a_smith Peon

Best Answers:
    i love them both and hate them both in the same time

a_smith, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  14. g36

g36 Peon

Best Answers:
    I never liked Linux. I used Windows since I was in elementary, when the computer was pentium 1. I feel unfamiliar using Linux.

g36, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  15. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both Windows and Linux have their own advantages and disadvantages. Personally speaking I prefer Windows on a home computer and Linux on a server though I have also used both of them in both scenarios. Linux has its benefit on personal computers as it supports almost all popular browsers except IE and there is no threat from virus too. But as a webmaster there is too much non compatibility of many small software, programs etc. which often creates some problems. And to be fair enough I dont find any version of Linux including Ubuntu as smooth as Windows. So, Windows wins at personal computer level for sure and Linux wins in server level as it is far more secure than Windows for servers. Moreover it is unfair to compare a free OS like Linux to paid OSes like Windows or Macintosh.

waziuz, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  16. copxxx

copxxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At first glance, the Windows Operating System may seem better than the Ubuntu Linux operating system. An in-depth look at both of these operating systems can reveal something quite different. Differences in the graphical user interface, the standard applications included with both operating systems, cost, hardware and software support, and system requirements greatly affect how these two operating systems appeal to different individuals.

The graphical user interface (GUI) is certainly one of the most sought-after features of any operating system. A typical Ubuntu setup can have one of the three major Linux GUIs, including XFCE, KDE, and the most popular, Gnome. The fact that you have a choice is a huge plus when considering Linux as an operating system, but I will focus mainly on Ubuntu Linux systems with Gnome. Windows does not have other well-developed graphical interfaces, so you are stuck with only one style of desktop interface. Gnome also requires less memory than the Windows GUI. Gnome is a very clean interface that is much better organized than Windows. On Windows, the taskbar holds the Start menu, active applications, quicklaunch, the system tray, and the system time all in one space. On Ubuntu Linux systems with Gnome, the bottom taskbar has only applications, a small recycle bin icon and “desktop” icon, and the application switcher. The clock, system tray, start menu (which is the Applications menu in Linux), and quicklaunch icons are on a second bar located across the top of the screen. Linux systems with Gnome are far less cluttered than Windows systems, resulting in it being more visually appealing and easier to use.

Ubuntu contains many of the same standard applications that Windows comes with, plus more. Both Windows and Ubuntu contain a basic text editor, calculator, art program, music player, and a few basic games. In addition to these programs, nearly every Linux distribution comes with a fully-featured office suite called OpenOffice, which is free. OpenOffice allows you to do everything that Microsoft Office allows. A default Windows installation comes only with Wordpad, a basic text editor that allows for little formatting and does not have a spell-check feature. Ubuntu also comes with an advanced graphics editor called GIMP which is similar to Photoshop, an Internet Chat program that is compatible with all major Instant Messenger protocols, and a fully-featured email client similar to Microsoft Outlook. The majority of programs made to work with Linux are open-source (made by volunteer programmers) and are completely free. Ubuntu has many more preloaded programs than Windows.

The cost of any distribution of Linux versus the cost of Windows is what causes many people to switch to Linux. Ubuntu Linux is completely free, as is nearly every single Linux distribution. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium costs about $199. Buying a new computer with Linux instead of Windows automatically takes off over a hundred dollars from the price tag. Linux is much more affordable than Windows.
    Hardware support for all Linux distributions can be lacking. Though hardware support is increasing greatly for Linux, the plug-and-play abilities of Windows far exceed those of Linux. Driver availability for Windows is still much greater than that of Linux; however, hardware vendors are realizing the potential of Linux as a home and business operating system and are making devices compatible with both systems. Anyone considering changing to any Linux distribution from Windows should check to make sure that their individual drivers are compatible with the Linux operating system. Though Linux is gaining in driver support, it may be a long time before the driver support of Linux is equivalent to the support the Windows operating system receives.

Software support is another disadvantage of Linux. Though efforts of making Windows applications work natively on Linux are making great progress, many applications developed specifically for Windows may not work on Linux. The answer to this problem has been to find alternative software made specifically for a Linux system that performs the same function; of course, sometimes a person may be required to submit a file or complete a project with a very specific program for his or her work. Software support is one of the major disadvantages of Linux.

The system requirements of the Windows operating system have required many people who feel they must upgrade to the “latest and greatest” to buy a new computer for each new version of Windows. Individual component upgrades and new computers both cost a lot of money. To use the basic features of Windows, you need at least a 1GHz (gigahertz) processor, a minimum of 1GB (gigabytes) of RAM (memory), at least 16GB of free hard disk space, and a graphics card device compatible with DirectX 9 or higher. If anyone read this far, you should really let me know and I might publish more often. These are the minimum requirements to run Windows. Ubuntu Linux, on the other hand, has minimum requirements of 512MB of RAM, 5GB of Disk Space, and a graphics card with the capability of displaying 1024×768 (which is a standard feature of any graphics card made in the last ten years). Ubuntu uses fewer system resources to operate than Windows.

Both Windows and Ubuntu have their own advantages and disadvantages. Both support various kinds of software; however, some people may want to stay with Windows due to lack of support for specific programs on Linux. The graphical user interface of Ubuntu is clean and uncluttered, but the Windows operating system may be more familiar to users. Some devices may be incompatible with Ubuntu, whereas Windows is more widely supported by many device manufacturers. Ubuntu costs much less than Windows. The required resources to run Ubuntu on a particular computer are much less than what Windows requires. Ubuntu is definitely a more affordable option for many.

copxxx, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  17. dann12

dann12 Member

Best Answers:
    Linux isn't standardized but Windows is !

dann12, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, bright guy. Name that standard Windows follows. (That's the last we'll hear from him.)

drhowarddrfine, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And many Linux programs do not work on Windows. This is a disadvantage of running Windows and a problem.
    To the contrary, if you have a problem with Windows software, the best you can do is file a report online or visit one of their forums. With *nix, you can talk directly to the developer and his team. Software support on *nix is FAR better than Windows.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  20. Girish singh

Girish singh Peon

Best Answers:
    According to security purpose Linux is best. but window is more user friendly .

Girish singh, Jun 30, 2011 IP