1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows Vista: worth upgrading ?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Black_Hand, Jul 25, 2006.

Windows Vista Bets 2 (the version for general public) was released by Microsoft in mid July. The whole DVD ISO is available on their website for free download.

I am sure many of you download it or probably got a copy from yours friends. Even i did, but according to the Windows Advisor - My PC is not 100% ready for Vista. But mostly because of software issues.

Anyway the question is ...after reading so much about vista....what do u think? Would you be interested to upgrade to vista from your current OS? Say in 1-2 years time?

I find the visuals very appealing, but other than that i still feel that vista is going to be a Fat ....resource hungry OS.

I remember reading an article somewhere with the title "Vista eats Laptop battery for Lunch". heh!

So what do you guys say?

Black_Hand, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  2. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont upgrade :) its beta ... do a diff new install on diff drive so that you can get rid of it if you dont like it :) btw i like it ;) just waiting for its final ver.
    you can download here too download windows vista here

asterix, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  3. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    Well actually I am talking about upgrading to Vista in 1-2 years time. Provided you use your current PC...do you think ur going to upgrade to Vista from your current OS?

Vista is definitely resource hungry...........So what EXTRA benefit can it give us for which we have to compromise our static resources (hard disk space, memory and so on)?

It is just an operating system...which is by definition a mother program to RUN/Manage and facilitate my other programs...but the concept has changed..... Now we need High end PCs/hardware just to run the OS!

4. Scheme

Scheme Guest

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I don't think its worth it at this time. Fact is it's still beta.

But as for when it comes out in stores, I will wait a year or so before I purchase it. The price will be high and by that time hardly any updates and patches will be fixed. So if I wait a year it gives me a chance to finally upgrade to 64 bit and get the funds all accounted for.

Scheme, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  5. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess Vista is another ME which people don't like it.

PinoyIto, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  6. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think so penoy .... black hand it all depends on what you do on pc .. like designing or programming or just bliinig etc.. .. but for most of the average users winxp would be good enough for another couple of years cuz they would hardly be using new features provided in vista , the only thing they could be using is the security .Visual appearance of vista can be achieved in windows xp too by using programs like windowsblinds etc.... so dont go for it just cuz it looks good :) and yess you need a lil highend pc ( 1ghz < - 1gb ram - graphix card )

asterix, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    It isn't really a matter of if but more like when. Fairly soon after Vista gets released M$ will begin withdrawing support for the older OS's.

You have to take a look at where the internet is going - tv, multimedia apps, increased interactivity for your basic user - and the race is on to shepherd the masses to your content and your ads. Think Warner Bros, MySpace, Sky TV and Google combined into a single entity and you get an idea of the direction internet delivery packages are headed in around 10 years. The ultimate 'walled garden'.

Computers will need to be able to handle the demands made of them and the best way to do that is by forcing hardware upgrades on the end user.

mcfox, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  8. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    True, I still feel that xp is good enough. Moreover I don't have such high end pc! Infact i still depend alot on my notebook!

9. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    well can they just withdraw support like that?

And what about the notebooks? Do you think Notebooks will be sold with vista preinstalled? I don't need that will be very good idea! Because Vista is very resource hungry.

I agree with you....the way things are moving....we will need sumthing that can actually cope wid it!

10. Daniel Malone

Daniel Malone Peon

Best Answers:
    I know someone who has Windows Vista on his laptop and who has been using Vista as his primary operating system for a few weeks.

It's still in beta though.

Daniel Malone, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  11. DanKuthy

DanKuthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally, I'm excited for the integration of RSS into Vista

DanKuthy, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  12. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    There are tons of good reasons to upgrade to Vista, and security is at the top of that list. I'm loving the beta (only a few minor problems with it) and will definitely be getting the real version when it comes out.

dazzlindonna, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  13. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh good 2 knw tht ur already using the beta! so hows it? All ur softwares working well?? What is your comp spec?

Black_Hand, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  14. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't they withdraw support for Windows 98 recently?

MattUK, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Yes they did.

I don't believe that Windows XP will be maintained for the length of time Windows 98 was, the simple reason being that it is only possible to update and get security patches for Windows XP if you have SP1 installed. Too bad if you you need to reinstall your HD from scratch and have one of the earlier copies, pre-SP1. :rolleyes:

mcfox, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  16. tizzle

tizzle Guest

Best Answers:
    How big a file is it?

tizzle, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  17. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    you mean vista? i think about 4.3 gb

Black_Hand, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  18. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    i've been using vista build 5456 as my primary os on my laptop and desktop for a couple weeks now. So far I love it. It has some small bugs here and there, but the new interface is nice, the security features are good, and it runs all of my software without issues. (i'm a web developer so I pound on these machines all day)

1EightT, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  19. abuzant

abuzant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am actualy downloading it now after i watched some TV presentations a couple of days ago.. afraid to install to be honest but will still try :D

abuzant, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  20. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As alraedy said, I would wait.

Lpspider, Jul 26, 2006 IP