1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows or Unix Hosting Plan?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Ozzie, Aug 24, 2006.

I use Windows XP on my computer. Does that mean I need to use a Windows hosting plan? Is Windows or Unix easier for a beginner to use? Can anyone describe the pros and cons for each? :confused: I sure would appreciate the help.

Ozzie, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  2. free

free Banned

Best Answers:
    well, if you plan on using open source programs such as php and mysql, go with linux hosting (not unix). if you plan on going with microsoft technologies such as ASP, go with Windows. my recommendation is if you're new to web design, programming, etc. go linux hosting.

this is just my opinion btw

free, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  3. JC007

JC007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, I would prefer using Unix. Also you can first try use cygwin and the xampp.

JC007, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  4. whitebark

whitebark Peon

Best Answers:
    They both have their advantages, but it seems to me anyways that linux/unix have more advantages, and can do it easier.

Yes you can use a Unix hosting plan even if your computer is now Windows. Just be sure to read any instructions for anything you upload and you'll be fine.

whitebark, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  5. seoocean

seoocean Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    New to hosting -- Take Linux .. take my word for it !!

seoocean, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  6. abcdefGARY

abcdefGARY Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was a newbie at this as well. I first chose Windows because I didn't know what PHP was and was really new to the whole website thing... until I learned a few tricks from this forum and now I use Unix and run PHP sites.

PHP is way easier to understand in my opinion, so therefore hosting on a Unix plan gets my vote.

abcdefGARY, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  7. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No. The operating system you run on your pc has nothing to do with the operating system that the server runs.

Many windows hosting plans support PHP just fine.

eXe, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  8. GLD

GLD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can't use mod_rewrite with Windows hosting plans, and whilst there are alternatives, that would be another reason to avoid using Windows hosting plans.

GLD, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  9. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fact.

Speaking of alternatives, check out ISAPI_Rewrite :p

eXe, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  10. Ozzie

Ozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    You guys are a great help! :) I notice that some use Unix and Linux as if they are one and the same. Is that true? I told you I am a beginner. ;)

I am glad to know that my operating system has nothing to do with choosing a web host. I keep looking at various free or cheap options and haven't been able to decide on one yet.

I guess everyone agrees that Tripod is not good even if I get my own domain name there?

Ozzie, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  11. Gordaen

Gordaen Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd definitely pick Linux (without going into the details, Linux is based on Unix, so the two have a lot of similarities but are not the same).

One of the nice things about Linux is that it is extremely powerful, while still being very fast and it has a huge community of people who are very helpful. You can generally find out anything you need to know using Google.

If your host does not give you access to shell, then the choice might not make too much difference to you (depending on your needs and the packages that are installed on the server).

What do you need out of a host? Answering that will allow everyone to better answer which host is "good."

Gordaen, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  12. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well unix has been around for more than 3 decades & linux is just another unix-like operating system. There are so many unix-like OS out there including freebsd, that they're all sometimes abbreviated as *nix, where * is a wildcard:p. To answer your question...Yes, because the shell (command line) in all unix-like operating systems is pretty much similar.

I strongly suggest that you get knoppix & check it out for yourself. You won't regret it;)

eXe, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  13. Ozzie

Ozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right now I have a personal site. I would like to expand and also have a forum for things I'm interested in and a blog as well as a photo album, all with the same host. I would also like to have a store with Amazon or other large company and of course my Google ads. That's as far as I've gotten with what I "think" I want.

This may be wishful thinking but I would like it to be as easy as possible. ;) I wish I could transfer my current personal site to a new host and also transfer my domain name which is parked elsewhere. I want a lot I guess. :)

Ozzie, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  14. Chuckun

Chuckun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Linux / Unix, same thing :p

I think Windows servers suck so Unix/Linux all the way mate :)

Chuckun, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  15. china visa

china visa Guest

Best Answers:
    i prefer unix hosting plan,for i only use html.

china visa, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  16. SKULL

SKULL Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Linux Hosting is the best hands down Windows hosting has to many issues

SKULL, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  17. jamesxp

jamesxp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used both, Where I have a site on a dedicated server, it tends to be Windows, I prefer to use the Linux option for shared servers, because my hobby sites are in php whereas the commercial stuff for work is ASP based.

jamesxp, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  18. Ozzie

Ozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am still reading everyones opinions. Thanks. :) It sounds like Linux is recommended the most for ease of use as well as simply being preferred by many.

Some webhosts don't say whether it is Linus/Unix or Windows plans. Is there an easy way to tell which they offer?

Ozzie, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  19. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah, like what?

This isn't a sure-shot way to tell, but if your site and the host's site are hosted on the same server (as will be the case with many small-time hosts), just type into your browser whois.sc/webhost.com (replace webhost.com with your host). You should see the web server software being used. (Server Type)

eXe, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  20. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    The biggest Plus for a *nix host is the fact that most variants run an OS and Applications that have a $0 licence fee.

Now, Last time I looked, M$ Charges a reasonably hefty licence fee for not only the OS but for IIS as well. True, Windoze can run Apache, PHP & MySQL but People tend to run Windoze because they want to run their asp based Apps. Additionally, most *nix variants can and do run very well on cheaper hardware, and can still provide plenty of resources to serve up web pages - the hardware requirements CAN be quite a bit lower than a Windoze server.

Now, the very fact that a *nix V's Windoze cost - the *nix generally is quite bit cheaper to set up - which of course results in a cheaper end product (your hosting Plan)

I say only use Windoze hosting if you go out and buy a web based app that you simply cannot live without and requires asp, otherwise stick with an *nix host.

Where I work, the guys who have to look after the windoze servers hate them with a passion - they prefer running the Unix servers for a whole ton of reasons, but have no choice (usually because some dick brained manager bought a crap product that would only run on windoze)

You are basically looking for free or cheap, then stick with a *nix host.

RRWH, Aug 28, 2006 IP