1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows - HELP!!! *These files can't be opened*

Discussion in 'Bing' started by LeftoverSoup, Sep 26, 2009.

Hi,

Something has gone wrong with my main computer (running windows 7)

I'm not exactly sure what I did to make this happen but now, It won't let me open any programs, nothing.. and it only lets me look at a few things in the CP.

Almost all the programs I click on I get the message..

I have a feeling its because I was mindlessly clicking on messages that popped up when I inserted a driver disk. And it mentioned something about changing the temp directory, i just click yes.

Is there anyway I can change it back? It won't even let me get into the environmental settings on the CP.

PLEASE HELP! I can't use my computer as it won't let me do anything without producing this error!

thank you.

LeftoverSoup, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  2. Jontish

Jontish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hahha, I've been in your situation. Frustrating, I know.
    The list of blocked programs must be located somewhere, unfortunately I don't know where.

Good luck!

Jontish, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  3. LeftoverSoup

LeftoverSoup Guest

Best Answers:

Haha, aw man I'm glad someone else can feel my pain!

If anyone else thinks they have a solution or suggestion, please mention it, I need to get it fixed :(

4. LeftoverSoup

LeftoverSoup Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus - How was that post supposed to help me?

Windows 7 party? Sorry?

5. Linda W

Linda W Peon

Best Answers:
    Alternate Solution for same error message.

Background

Microsoft Downloads - in my case those from the Microsoft Update Catalog,

but it has also been reported those from Web Update,

Microsoft Downloads Create file / path names in Windows 7 64 bit greater than the maximum allowed within Windows 7 64bit.  Note you cannot create over length path names manually in Windows 7.

The maximum is 260 characters including 3 character drive designation plus 1 character <null> terminating character.

The maximum is 256 not counting the drive designator ( i.e. C:\ ) and also not including the <null> terminating character at the end.  So the entire directory path plus the file name should be less than or equal to 256 characters.  Excluding the three ( 3) character drive designator "C:\" from the 256.

In my case the path downloaded from Microsoft by Microsoft software was greater than 270 bytes in several cases.

The result was the same error.
    These files can't be opened.

Your Internet Security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.

Either of the following solutions worked:

Copy the file to a much shorter directory.

or

Rename the file in place so that the entire path, including the file name, is less than 256 characters.

Obviously in these cases the error message is misleading.

It appears this may be a default error message that pops up when the real error is not identified.

Linda W, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  6. MikeBuyco

MikeBuyco Member

Best Answers:
    You could try Windows System Restore and bring it back to when it was still working. If you can't make the program work. Try doing it in the safe mode. Press F8 during the start up before the windows 7 logo.

MikeBuyco, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  7. Linda W

Linda W Peon

Best Answers:
    One could also throw the computer away and buy a new computer to avoid finding the problem and fixing it. But I suspect the real purpose of your post was advertising your "Easiest Free Traffic on Autopilot"...

Linda W, Jul 9, 2011 IP
  8. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    do you have any idea what you are talking about lol. I guess you are the one trying to increase your blog posts by posting this shit so that you can spam your site...

karan.digital, Jul 10, 2011 IP