1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows dedicated hosting question

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by spondishy, Jul 20, 2005.

Up to now all my hosting has been shared. I'm considering going over to a dedicated box. I want windows hosting because all my sites are .net.

I'm just a little nervous that I'll get hacked or something. What precautions do I need to make to ensure my site is as secure as possible.

No windows security jokes thanks...

spondishy, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  2. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    If you're not experienced with managing a Windows server, you may want to consider a managed server option. It will cost you a bit more, but you would not have to worry about anything then. About 7 years ago, I had one with RackSpace (don't go with them, though, they are too expensive in today's market), and they really take care of everything. Do a search for windows dedicated managed server on Google, and see which option(s) fit your budget...

mystikmedia, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  3. spondishy

spondishy Peon

Best Answers:
    OK... Not really a problem doing windows patches etc. I just wondered what the position was around firewalls/anti-virus software. How protected is an average dedicated box off the shelf.

Also, I'm in the UK. I'm guessing that using a US host isn't an issue?

Thanks for your help.

spondishy, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  4. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    A US host would probably be a good way to go for you. It would be a lot more affordable being that the pound is very strong compared to the US dollar right now. There should definitely not be any problem in going that route. As for firewall, antivirus, and such, there are free options you can use for this. I don't think you need to go the hardware firewall route. So, if you're comfortable with site administration and such, you should be pretty much good to go.

mystikmedia, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  5. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    sji2671, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  6. spondishy

spondishy Peon

Best Answers:
  7. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Yeah I have a reseller a/c with them and I think I will be taking one of the dedicated windows servers, pretty reasonabe for managed windows boxes. They are a much improved company over the last few years.

sji2671, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  8. spondishy

spondishy Peon

Best Answers:
    Any unbiased (ie not a reseller etc) recommendations for dedicated windows hosting in the US?

9. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1and1 has the cheapest dedicated server that I can find. If a static IP was cheaper in my area, I would do it all on my own.

Help Desk, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  10. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    A couple of things:

* Do not use Remote Desktop on its own - it is fairly easy to easvesdrop on an RDP session. Make sure you configure a VPN first and then use RDP over VPN only. Setting up a VPN is a 5-minute thing with Routing and Remote Access (L2TP is preferrable, but PPTP will work well too).

* The default FTP server doesn't support secure FTP. If you intend to use FTP for file transfer, invest into a third-party product. If it's just your machine, you will be able to connect over VPN using Windows admin shares and you won't need FTP.

* The default SMTP and POP3 servers are pretty limited in functionality. A third-party SMTP/POP3 server is definitely a good idea.

* Disable services you don't use. I would recommend disabling FrontPage extensions and WebDAV - use VPN or secure FTP for publishing.

* Make sure to configure your firewall to block all internal Windows traffic (shares, browser announcements, etc).

Using a managed server may be a good idea if all of the above doesn't sound familiar.

J.D.

J.D., Jul 21, 2005 IP
  11. spondishy

spondishy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help. Appreciated.