1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows 7 Pro/Apache 2.2 Start Error, someone provide guidance please

Discussion in 'Apache' started by abrium, Jan 27, 2010.

:mad:I have recently downloaded Apache 2.2.14, the msi installer apache_2.2.14-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.8k and installed apache. Immediately after installation the service was on and running and I began configuring. That is where everything has fallen apart.

I changed documentroot and the directory. Since than I have been unable to start or restart apache to save my life. The continued error when I attempt to start the service through the apache service monitor is "The requested operation has failed!", I know... not a lot to go on.

In windows event viewer I get "The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function.."... This still is not helping out.

Additional forum support that I have sought has eliminated Skype and the port 80 listening issue. I have also read that there can be a directory error that will keep the service from starting. In an attempt to bring it all back to square 1 I have also replaced the httpd.txt with the httpd.txt from the Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/Conf/Original folder.

It just seems that no matter what I attempt or try to retify this service will not run again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

What am I missing, where am I going wrong? Am I missing a fundamental installation step? I am sorry I am new to apache and need an understanding of where to look and what steps to take.

Furthermore, this is a brand new installation of Windows 7 Pro with no additional software loaded yet and IIS is NOT installed. So no port fighting there.

Any ideas guys? Thanks a lot.

abrium, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  2. Rudolf Bodocsi

Rudolf Bodocsi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

In Windows Command prompt try run manually the httpd.exe file from apache install dir\bin directory. It's will be write out error message for you.

Rudolf

Rudolf Bodocsi, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  3. mascix

mascix Active Member

Best Answers:
    and in the install dir/logs you will see error.log it will tell you the error.

mascix, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  4. digioz

digioz Peon

Best Answers:
    Most likely this error is because another program is using port 80. Open up Command Prompt and enter the following command:

netstat -ano
    Code (markup):
    Look through the list of "Local Address" and see if you can find any entry that has ":80" at the end of the IP Address (such as 0.0.0.0:80). In the PID Column, you will see the Process ID the application is using. Next, right click on your task bar and choose "Start Task Manager", then click on the Processes Tab. Click on "Show processes from all users" button to see all processes that are running on your PC, then find the PID that you found from the command line result to see what application is using port 80.

In my case Skype was using port 80, so Ending the Skype Process resolved the issue for me. I hope this helps in case anyone else has this problem.

Pete

digioz, Jan 19, 2012 IP