1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will you use a sitemap?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by sarahk, Jun 5, 2005.

?

I'll add a sitemap to my site...

Poll closed Jul 5, 2005.
  1. It's done already

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. It's a priority for this week

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. I'll do it but it's not a priority

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. I'm going to wait until a hack is available for my site's software

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. I'm going to wait until everyone else has given feedback on their experiences

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. It's a load of nonsense and won't gain widespread acceptance

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. I don't really understand what's going on!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    I'd be interested in the strength of the reaction of users to the sitemap idea...

sarahk, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  2. Yukio

Yukio Peon

Best Answers:
    Any website serious about getting to the top in serach engine rankings would be utterly silly to not even have a sitemap. Not only does it allow google to index your website... it acts as a PR funnel for all your other pages.

Yukio, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Expect a 'yes' from anyone with common sense.

Design Agent, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  4. Boston_JM

Boston_JM Peon

Best Answers:
    1 thing would you even use one if there is not that many pages for one i dont see the point if all pages are interconected an the site does not have 1K pages ?

Boston_JM, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    If its only a few pages then techincally your home page is a sitemap (for SE purposes). If you have many pages that arent listed on the home, or are buried then sitemap is a way to make sure that all pages are 2 clicks from the home + easily spiderable.

6. SHT

SHT Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Site map was launched whilst I was on vacation. Within 2 hours of returning I had submitted it to google. As Design Agent said anyone with common sense will use it.

SHT, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  7. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, done already! I have 3 sections of my site where I moved URL's and pages around and G has not yet found them (or taken old URL's out of the cache for that matter...) I submitted simple text lists of the new URL's today - hopefully it will inspire the crawlers.

Roze, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  8. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not all that giggly about this. Whether or not you have a large site, lets say you already have all your pages in the index - then how does this help? In my understanding it doesn't - only if you have difficulty getting all your pages indexed...

ephricon, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  9. Tuning

Tuning Peon

Best Answers:
    Will definetly recommend it. Sitemap makes crawling quicker in theway every page is reachable from level 2.

Regards,
    Tuning

Tuning, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a sitemap in this way:

1. Put a link sitewide to the sitemap high up in the code.
    2. Use <Hx> tags for links to categories on the sitemap page.
    3. Use exact anchors.
    4. Point some external links to the sitemap.

Its a good way to get pages spidered if you dont want the link on the homepage and its useful for visitors. I dont see any harm in using one.

11. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, I think it will be valuable to be able to tell Google how often to index certain pages. I think it will also be valuable to tell Google which pages are important. Both of those are possible with the new Google Sitemap feature.

I have a few sites with a large number of pages. Google currently indexes all of the pages almost daily. I could save some bandwidth by telling Google that certain pages don't really need to be indexed daily.

I also have pages that I would like to assign lower priorities too. Pages where people are presented with login forms, lost password procedures, etc are not vital to the content of my site. Telling Google that those pages are not a priority compared to my news pages would be nice.

I've written about this a little bit here:

http://www.timflight.com/2005/06/03/submit-google-sitemaps-xml/

tflight, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  12. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Here perhaps ? ;)

13. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Nice todo list for one of my new sites!

In various site I've build the sitemap is an essential part of the site. For one reason, people visiting the site can easily find all of the topics and for SEO reasons I got a deep crawl/indexed by the mayor search engines.

WhatiFind, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  14. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not having a sitemap is like not having an index in a book (IMHO). When someone doesn't find what they are looking for (e.g. search engine or person), then having a sitemap gives them a quick idea whether it is anywhere within your site.

Considering that having too many (defined as?) outbound links on your home page could reduce the impact each link has then utilizing the sitemap to perform that function only seems reasonable.

Some may say that a great menu could overcome a lot of this but, you still run into the issue of quantity of outbound links from the page. Having the search engine spiders find your homepage and then only 1 link away reach your sitemap makes it quick and easy to perform a deep crawl of the remaining pages on your site.

IMHO, it's obvious Google considers this a major issue or why else would they be in beta with the Google Sitemap Protocol?

North Carolina SEO, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  15. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I have site maps for most of my sites.

My read on this thread is this. How many of us are going to join the Google bandwagon a creat a special feed to Google with our sitemaps. For the time being I am not. Things are running smoothly the way they are. If things slow down on indexing and Google fed site map seems only way to go will do so. Now if I had large e-commerce site with deep pages would be working on site map now.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  16. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted 4 of my sites and one of them doesn't even come up in Google so I'll and no doubt others will be keen to see if G offers me position 2.8 billion or keeps in the Sandbox.

Forever hopeful.

ian_ok, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  17. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I just submitted one for one of my newest sites that Google has not yet spidered. It contains dynamic urls of the format www.blah.com?catid=95 . The status of the submission is still showing "pending" (after 20 minutes), so I'll be watching to see when (if?) it gets approved. Then, I'll be watching like a hawk to see if gbot comes by and whether or not it does a good job of grabbing all the urls.

dazzlindonna, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    What does that make me? I have more top 10 positions than you can count on a 100 people's hands and none have a sitemap.

IMO it's only necessary for sites which have poor navigation or if you target search engines which have dumb spiders.

I opted for 'Yes will do but low priority.' since I doubt it will have a profound effect. I will do it since Google wouldn't making this available if it was a boatload of crap so it must have some benefits at some point. But it sounds like 'feeding the information hungry' to me whilst things work perfectly without this.

I'll have to see if an osCommerce contrib is available that does this with keeping Ultimate SEO urls intact. If so, I'll do it asap, if not it stays at the very bottom of my to-do list.

Still think I'm 'utterly silly'?

T0PS3O, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  19. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like, so far, I am the only geezer to vote:
    "I'm going to wait until everyone else has given feedback on their experiences" . :D

I voted this way even though, at the suggestion of Minstrel, I actually made a plain vanilla non-XML sitemap several days ago; in an effort to get Yahoo!/Slurp , not Google, to stop taking sips, and start taking gulps - that is, Index my whole site, not just the darn start page and the Links (!!) page.

I sympathize greatly with NJHI (below). As yet, to me HTML stands for: Highly Techie and Maddening to Learn; while XML is an acronym for: Xtremely Maddening to Learn - despite some generous XML assistance from DP member JLerner.

I checked my site Google cache, and found the "old", simple sitemap was included; so at this point my priorities are cleaning my apalling kludge of HTML code, and reducing the page load time so that it is under "several Light Years on a T1 line" , rather than bodging up a XML sitemap.

re TPOS30- no one that reads the threads on this Forum can fail to respect your contributions; but I suspect that most SEO clients are a lot like me, spooked by the last thing they read. A sitemap, any sitemap, is probably a Good Idea to them, and they will want to see it, if only to impress their golfing buddies. :rolleyes:

tradefor, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  20. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It seems like people think of a sitemap as the goal. I think it's a means of achieving a goal. And that goal, whether it's getting indexed or just user navigation, can be achieved by multiple means. I think a sitemap is only necessary when the site lacks in other areas that normally help to achieve these goals.

It won't hurt to have one though, even when the rest of your site is perfect.

T0PS3O, Jun 5, 2005 IP