1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will this help in Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by NewComputer, May 31, 2004.

Recently, one of our websites was dropped from Yahoo! in an extreme fashion. We have not enquired, we just assumed it was due to similar content as 2 of the 3 sites have identical content. Now, we learned that all three of these sites were sharing the same IP. We have since rectified that situation. Will that help in Yahoo!? Will they bring us back. We noticed today that if you search one of our direct domains (eg. www.domain.com) that we jumped from 16 total urls to around 38,000. A nice jump, but are they still pinning us at the bottom of our key searches? What is the best way to find out?

NewComputer, May 31, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, I doubt Yahoo will disclose how they determine rankings. As soon as search engines start telling people how to rank better/worse, the algorithms become useless.

I wouldn't *think* Yahoo would care about the IP address, but then again, they seem to do some other things very stupidly, so who knows.

digitalpoint, May 31, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, that was EXACTLY the answer I thought I was going to get. I guess no one knows for sure. I thought maybe there was a Yahoo! insider willing to share. I will keep researching and tinkering. It could have been just an updating of the database(s), but there were sure a lot of people complaining.

NewComputer, May 31, 2004 IP
  4. dsr771

dsr771 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have several sites running on the same IP address. Name based hosting (single IP) is pushed hard by ARIN to hosting companies which have to prove a need for more IPs. I wouldn't think google would deny sites based on IP address. btw, my sites where in the top 10 rankings for about 6 months, then fell off in march, and now are slowly moving back up with the addition of more backlinks. I assume the falloff was due to google algo change. My sites have different topics and content.

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong about the IP address thing with googe.

dsr771, May 31, 2004 IP
  5. Jay

Jay Peon

Best Answers:
    I myself have Several Sites also running on same IP Address, and all are listed with Yahoo! All in pretty good rankings too, i might add.

Jay, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would any of them be classified as having duplicate content under seperate domains?

NewComputer, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    why did you have multiple domains with the same content anyway? just seems like an unnecesary risk to me

disgust, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Slightly on, yet off-topic: After being to an extent satisfied with Google results, I am looking into paid submission in the Y directory. We have half a dozen sites and I don't want to pay 6 x £199 right away. If I pay for one site which has loads of links to the others without overdoing it, would there be the chance Yahoo might spider the other 5 more often than it does now for Y SERPs?

T0PS3O, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  9. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    if you just want it spidered, you don't need to do the paid inclusion, really.

if sites link to you- any sites that are indexed, you'll get in the serps to some extent.

the paid inclusion is for the directory.

disgust, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed, I don't pay for inclusion in Yahoo, and www.digitalpoint.com has 62,800 pages in the Yahoo index, and this forum has another 579 (which should grow since the forum is pretty new).

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I see... Guess I'm just disappointed with the traffic from Yahoo then. it's only about 3% compared to 90+ from G with lots of top rankings.

Looking into Overture Self Service (UK) . Might try and see how the ROI compares to AdWords. Yahoo claims it to be higher. Minimum rate is higher at 10p vs 4p with AdWords. Have to sus it out tomorrow, going for beers now. Thnx!

T0PS3O, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  12. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FYI...This seems to be quite similar for multiple sites that I have as well. I would be very interested in your results from other options mentioned.

North Carolina SEO, Jun 5, 2004 IP