1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will the creation of new directories ever cease?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Web Gazelle, Sep 14, 2005.

I think it is time to make these directories have a little more use than just cloning one that already exists. My thought is to make them as a compliment to a site that offers other stuff too. Like if I was to take the aquarium site in my signature I could add a directory of sites that offer things related to aquariums. That would be useful to visitors coming to the site.... Had to vent that, thanks for reading. :D

Web Gazelle, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    There will always be a place for niche directories. The "general all inclusive" directories though are another story.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The moment Google drops the bomb on them and doesn't give a $hit about their links anymore they won't be interesting anymore and be left alone.

T0PS3O, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  4. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    TOPS30 is absolutely correct in my opinion - while they still have any sort of influence on SERPS people will build them, because it is a way to influence the results.

If the bomb gets dropped so that only a few remain, then the effort won't be worth it for most people and they will die off.

Alucard, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    It seems to me most directories are made for adsense sites. Since there are thousands of them out there, I would not think they would bring in much income.

Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  6. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, adsense is not a large part of most directories revenue model.

I think there are more directories as a result of the poor model set by DMOZ.

Keep in mind that the directory that appears to be the "Made for Adsense" site today may be something quite extroardiary a year or two from now.

dvduval, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  7. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't looked into building one, but they seem easy to set up and promoting them isn't that hard if you're not too ambitious. A thread on DP already gives you lots of submissions!

Easy to set up >>> why not set one up?:)

And there you go, you get and you'll get millions...

uca, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I have seen there are more directories because people see it as a good way to promote websites. Nothing more. They don't do it because there isn't a good enough directory out there, they do it because they want a "piece of the pie".

Alucard, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Web Gazelle likes this.
  9. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right you are Alucard. They are poping up because people are seeing places like bluefind charge $50 per link and they want in on the action.

Web Gazelle, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  10. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People have been doing that for a long time.

They conduct their link exchanges in that format, such that they have related links to their site, and can link to a lot of sites without it clogging up a single links page on their site.

silencer, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  11. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you measured the number of normal internet user who relies on any directory to find sites on the internet, it would be miniscule. I think, as others have noted, it is simply to play the system and help with rankings etc. I am not sure how profitable any ad-based directories are, since I imagine 99% of their traffic is from submissions.

I am curious about the profitability of those who charge for listings, espeically the smaller ones, but I imagine it is free money at that point, and at least you can guarantee a place for all your sites.

I have a bunch of directories that are in very small niches, and are actually focused towards actual end-user traffic. I think there is still a lot of room for such things, especially if maintained because most niche link pages are horribly maintained.

In fact I imagine someone could go in to scores of old established niches and fill a void just by creating a relevant and updated directory point.

aeiouy, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  12. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    It's really a good thing having all the directories out there. With such a saturated industry especially with general directories I found myself getting on a few pr4 pages yesterday on a couple of just regular joe ones. When I started out I was paying and I don't see that happening again.

I started mine (in my footer) to make some potential $ but moreover to just get a feel of it, and I find it fun. Got really sick of the redirect urls on some sites and wanted to offer something back.

I agree as soon as G drops em like linkfarms interest will cease but I think the niche ones will stay.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  13. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. I have some directories, simply because i enjoy classifying websites.

2. I built some directories, because i had to offer to some of the directories i submited to, a reciprocal link

:)

Cristian Mezei, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  14. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Right now they are all just a way of inflating link popularity that Google hasn't dropped the axe on yet.

Web Gazelle, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  15. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that might be a little cynical. I think there are definitely some niche directories out there whose creators have other motives.

But I would agree that most of them are just for link populatiry.

Alucard, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  16. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    At the start of this thread I did say niche directories are valuable.

17. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Gazelle .. Just as a personal question ..

Would you find this niche directory interesting ?

www .seo-xperts .com ?

:)

Cristian Mezei, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  18. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    The idea behind a niche directory is to have it as a feature of a site. Yours would be a useful feature to have on a website about SEO. Then people visiting your site would use it to find SEO experts to fit their needs. Hope this made sense.

19. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    I see .. You have a ration in your thinking.

In my opinion ... People are making directories these days, because they are so easy to implement (rather than a content rich, built from scratch website) and so easy to maintain.

And eventually, some do this for pleasure/passion, but the most : for IBL's.

Cristian Mezei, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  20. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Not just directories at all though, the huge surge in blogs is amazing. Lots of people are just waking up to the internet as more than an email.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 20, 2005 IP