1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will someone tell this guy something

Discussion in 'Sites' started by templates, Jan 19, 2006.

1. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    100% - 6
    the deal was..buyer moves..i can dump a site..ive never had to email a db before thats all...the files have been sent..have not got a resend of complaint from paypal yet..

templates, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    yep i agree, when i sold a site recently, i made a backup via cpanel before the sale, and then gave the user access to cpanel so he could download the files he needed, once he had downloaded the files i transferred the domain.

just-4-teens, Jan 19, 2006 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  3. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    100% - 6
    lol...seems thats the problem now..i have sent more instuctions,they are all documented,and have offered to just do it myself..again..also have tried to explain cpanel...i am awaiting word on details..

templates, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  4. charlieuk

charlieuk Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Templates, my technical colleague is in touch with you, so hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

charlieuk, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Dare we hope that this is finally over? :eek:

minstrel, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  6. Moncal

Moncal Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    How did Amazon tell you it would get there? The seller stated that the buyer would be responsible for moving all files, so the buyer can't just change the rules in the middle and then scream fraud when the seller doesn't want to jump through hoops.

Moncal, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    *sigh*

Don't get them started again, Moncal :eek:

minstrel, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  8. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Duey, Cheatham and Howe Legal Services will gladly act as a disinterested third party arbitrator as necessary.

Get over it boys - live and learn, move on, and get a better understanding for your next venture.

They're only mistakes if you let them be - make them lessons learned instead and you'll both be the better for it.

;)

wrmineo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  9. marketing

marketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    so the buyer should have canceled the fraud compaint with paypal right?

I am not for keeping this thread going if all has been resolved, but buyers jumping to claim fraud on paypal is a serious issue. Especially if they have ownership of the domain name at this point AND have been given login info to the server for the domain. What keeps them from maknig a cpanle backup, claiming fraud and walking away with the domain name, a back up of the site they did themselves yet claimed they could not do and not paying a cent.

Sad that people like that actually exist and people have to find a way to protect themselves from that. Paypal is worthless in these situations, as they will end up giving the money back without a fight.

marketing, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  10. charlieuk

charlieuk Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks for your input, I can assure you that the Paypal complaint will be removed when my technical colleague has checked everything.

My objective is to get what I paid for, I'm sure I will very soon. If it was to commit fraud, do you think I would by communicating with the seller and the rest of you? You should think about these things before casting doubts on people's integrity and honesty. If this WAS fraud, I'd be long gone by now. It's not, it is a simple case of seller/buyer having different expectations as to what constitutes delivery. Perhaps, we should have worked harder to bridge these differences before making them public, who knows? Perhaps my requests for help would still be met with unhelpful responses, we'll never know for sure. What is sure is that something is now being done about it.

I have every right to "Jump to claim fraud on Paypal" if I feel that my private emails to the buyer were not being answered properly and that I had not received the goods I purchased. As is often the case, you have only seen half of the story on this thread, so it is easy for people to jump on a bandwagon and start to chivy out blame left right and centre.

Our business has made thousands of online transactions in 4 years of trading online, this is the only time I/we have never been involved in a Paypal dispute. Why this time? Because I felt strongly that if I did not do it, the seller would continue to cast my emails aside with one sentence replies that did not help the situation and I would not get what I paid for.

Remember also, that just because something is easy to you, you should not assume that everyone else has that knowledge.

Thankfully, this has motivated the seller to do everything properly now and I'm sure this will be resolved quite quickly.

As far as I am concerned there is little point in continuing this thread. The next steps are simple, buyer and seller have agreed to these. I am sure once the web site has been accepted, those that are interested can read about it here.

charlieuk, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  11. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    charlieuk,

Learn how to use to tools in front of you if you plan on buying other sites. This will make the transaction a lot easier. Cant really yell fraud when the solutions was right in front of you. Good luck...

Here is a link to a video on how to create a backup: http://www.towerhost.com/support/cpanel/cpanel_xv2_backup.htm

ServerUnion, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  12. marketing

marketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1

You said that if you were committing fraud, you would be long gone and not communicating with the seller like you have...but can't the same be said of the seller? If he was trying to rip you off, don't you think he would stop talking to you about this? Don't you think he would not have transferred the domain to you and give you access to cpanel of the site?

Common sense goes a long way. Using the fraud card a little early in a discussion with a seller is only going to end up giving you a bad rap to other sellers and potential future buyers.

For being involved in "thousands" of online transactions, you sure seem to have a problem communicating on what you are purchasing. I never have expected a seller to do EVERYTHING for me when I purchase something. If nothing else, look at it this way; you should have had the backup databases and had them re-upped to your new server or whatever and been long done with this if you had done it yourself...but instead, you chose the confrontational way of handling this rather than just doing the 2 minutes of work it would have taken to resolve this.

Live and learn...live and learn. If it had been me selling you the site, I would have sent you the backups no problem, but probably would think twice about working with you again since you made such a huge ordeal over something so easy and quick to fix.

marketing, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  13. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Charlieuk, I recommend in future that you let your "technical colleague" handle these transfers from the get-go.
    That would've saved much aggravation and six pages of typing by various people.

Mister Tut, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  14. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    100% - 6
    well,if any one is interested,i emailed the files as requested,but now they want me to transfer the site and database,so i am going to do that

templates, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  15. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Maybe you can ask to contact these "technical colleague" directly, might make the process more along better.

ServerUnion, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  16. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    Most sellers I have seen on ebay tell you up front, you purchase as is and where is.
    If you keep the same host, they will support you.
    If you want to move it, some will do so for you, some will tell you it is your responsibility.
    Most sellers also state they will not email or send you any files.

I have bought many websites, and I always made my own file backups at once, then put those files on another site to make sure they work correctly, before moving the domain to my own servers.

I have sold many websites, and I always put down, you get everything as is.
    You want another host, it is your responsibility to move the files. I will not help or send you the files.

All that said, everyone should email the seller and ask those pertinent questions on files, transfers, hosting, etc.
    Keep the emails if there is a problem later.
    But if the seller says, everything is your responsibility, then if you purchase, it is yours and your problem, not the seller.

The Iowa Dawg
    PS...as the Romans say "Caveat Emptor"

iowadawg, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  17. comcrazy

comcrazy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Also be aware of timezones - the seller could be in a timezone several hours behind, so your email won't get promptly replied to if you send it at 4am their time
    (which might be 1pm your time)

I`m in the UK, and sometimes this means you lose a day if one persons working day is just beginning as yours is ending ;/

comcrazy, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  18. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    People would understand time zones, and that some people do not stay on the computer 24 hours a day!
    Nothing like someone buying an ebook at midnight my time, and at 12:05am my time, an email comes to me that there is a problem downloading and they are mad, upset, etc and want action NOW or else money back.
    So I get up and about 8am my time, I get my email.
    And there is some idiot who has sent me about a dozen mean emails about his purchase!

When I deal with someone, I give it time, I look at the time on that persons email to see when they might be on again...etc.

Same with my partnership with a nice gentleman in the UK.
    He is asleep, I am awake.
    He is at work, I am asleep.
    Hard for us to coordinate when both of us on at same time.
    So he sends me an email, it will be several hours or longer before I see it, reply to it.
    Then more hours while he gets it, sees it and replies back to me.
    But it works for us and our partnership!

The Iowa Dawg

iowadawg, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  19. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    100% - 6
    Speaking of time zones,i am here at work still,so if i can ever get home,ill move site for him...

20. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    100% - 6
    o..and this is something interesting..
    i followed all the standard procedures for selling a site
    i pushed the domain
    i gave him cpanel
    its been on my server for a few weeks now..he asked for email of db,i sent it..
    he charged me with fraud after 5 minutes when he asked for the db email,i told him let me ask how to do this,as i never had,then he talks shit...
    well,paypal sent me an email today saying that i am NOT at fault for this,as i sent PROOF that he has all that i am obligated to give him.Just because he does not know WTF to do with it,its his problem not mine.So,i have my money back,he has the CPANEL logins,and the db email,why someone would want that,i have no fucking clue..the site itself is about 80mbs,a little heavy to send that in a email,although he nor his tech guy knew how to open the email anyway.I try to be a upstanding person,and be forthright,Im sorry everyone got dragged in to this.If you or your TECH are unsure on how to do something,ask or hire someone.If you need help with the site,ill do what i can,and i will also keep an eye on you,so others dont feel the pain that you have tried to cause...THIS THREAD SHOULD DIE!!