1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will posting on Craigslist get me banned from CJ?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by Kevin Smith, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    thats right you can promote your site any where you darn choose to if you choose to write it in big bold letters and hang a banner across the freeway thats fine but don't direct link, you can use craigslist to promote your site, which in turn promotes them, but not directly. Confusing shit, and i think it is stupid. They have until the 10th to reverse and some of those idiots wait until the very last second. don't keep all your eggs in one basket

jodyq, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  2. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    Right on! Fight the power!

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately I don't have any other baskets right now (I'm working on that though)

Kevin Smith, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  3. Oleko

Oleko Member

Best Answers:
    Kevin Smith, don't forget to tell us how is it going on, with this variant (landing page with direct linking to the offer), if you please.

Oleko, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  4. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay Oleko I guess an update is in order.

I contacted CJ and they gave me full permission to advertise my websites on Craigslist, provided that the landing page does not simply direct users to click on an affiliate link.

My advertiser has given me full permission as well, except they don't care what my landing page looks like. They have said that they don't want me impersonating their clients, and that I can't use any trademarked logos on my site. They want me to get their approval on any ads I post to Craigslist.

All that's left permission wise is to contact CJ again and find out if the landing page can be designed to convert traffic IF it's a part of a large, fully functional, content oriented website. If I get permission to do that, then I will be able to pick up where I left off and start making some bank.

I've also been hard at work building a website. Found out that I hate making websites. Fortunately they have a free template for just about everything you could need, so I don't have to do too much work. It's just getting good content that sucks.

I'll post some of the e-mails that were sent back and fourth since the last time I updated this thread later on today (or tomorrow). Gotta go have some Christmas dinner now.

Kevin Smith, Dec 24, 2008 IP
  5. Oleko

Oleko Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, very useful thins you are telling.
    So the CJ forbids that the landing page will look just like one-page-one-offer-"thin affiliate site", if I understood it right.

Oleko, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  6. TheNewGirl

TheNewGirl Peon

Best Answers:
    QUESION: Trying to understand this?? You are posting your affiliate ads on another website and not your website link? So that means when people click on that through craigslist they are redirected to the affiliate site and you get credit for that?? If so, I read that on the rules when I first started on CJ that was disallowed. Why not just post a link to your site instead?

TheNewGirl, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  7. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I didn't have a website at the time. I'm still trying to get one finished now. Should be about a week away but I'm not sure. This is really hard work for people that have no experience building websites.

I had at one point built a really simple landing page that worked well. My advertiser didn't like it because I used their client's logos, and CJ didn't like it because all it did was send users to the advertiser.

I did get paid by the way even though what I was doing was against CJ's terms. I received my first check of $250 about a week ago. I even told CJ several times that I didn't expect to get paid, and they still paid me. I think that says a lot about them. I wish I had more updates for you guys but all I've done the past few weeks is work on this website. As soon as it's all finished and I get final approvals on everything I'll post here.

Oleko, CJ doesn't care what your affiliate site looks like. It's only if you are going to be posting in places that are against their TOS that it has to be more then just a thin affiliate site.

Kevin Smith, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  8. Oleko

Oleko Member

Best Answers:
    very interesting.. what would it do else, in their opinion? The good landing page is the page that sends users to advertisers. It was one page landing site, which you promoted on craigslist, and this one page site contained the link, the users had to click on it to go to advertiser. If I understood it right.
    I wonder is this out of somebody's rules (advertiser, CJ, craigslist) and is someway forbidden?

Oleko, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  9. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    Oleko, they told me that they don't want me only sending traffic to advertisers if I was going to post on Craigslist. If I'm using PPC or SEO they don't care what the website looks like.

I think their reasoning for this is that if I were to spam, I would be hurting my website's good name and not their advertisers'.

Kevin Smith, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  10. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    I use PPC direct linking for a few advertisers, this shows as 0 imp. and maybe 300-400 clicks. But lack of impressions is not and I mean not a red flag as long as it is permissable by the advertiser and it shows up as a keyword link in the stats.

jodyq, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  11. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    If you don't mind, who do you use that allows direct linking? Is it through CJ? If it is, did you have to get special permission from CJ to direct link in addition to the permission you have from your advertiser?

Kevin Smith, Jan 12, 2009 IP