1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will "outside of the box" thinking help my resume with no prior experience?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Five-starz, Apr 20, 2017.

I'm unemployed at the moment so I won't lose a lot. I'm currently studying a big digital marketing course which is very famous in my country, however, I have no real proven experience in the field. All my previous expertise are "cook, bartender, barista" and that's pretty much it. My plan is to post on some medias like "LinkdIn" and "AngeList". Since have can't make a professional resume which will look interesting. Should I risk it and make a resume with a funny punch line, maybe something outside of the box considering startup companies might look for exactly that? Would love to hear from you and hear your opinion.

Five-starz, Apr 20, 2017 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't. A potential employer (which can be a new start up) doesn't really care if you are funny or can think outside the box. Those things are good, but it's not what piques his/her interest. Imagine yourself as an employer. What traits would you prefer in a potential candidate? I guarantee you it will be: "a go-getter", "can multitask", "hardworking", "loyal", "adheres to the beliefs and values of the company", "knows how to get the job done", etc. If I were you I'd come up with a quality resume, making sure it includes a lot of things similar to what I've just listed.

qwikad.com, Apr 20, 2017 IP
  3. Five-starz

Five-starz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. Do I even want to add previous work experiences in fields that have "nothing" to do with marketing? I mentioned, my real soild skills come from cooking, coffee making and bartending. They are useful though. How would you play your cards if you didnt have certification yet?
    here is some information from my older resume which doesn't include any marketing expertise.
    "
    Objective
    Acquire more marketing skills, grow the company and push it to it’s full potential.

Summary and Qualifications
    Extraordinary customer service and interpersonal relations.
    Organized and full of passion, prepared to learn whatever it takes to succeed.
    Ability to perform and multi-task under a lot of stress.
    Helpful teammate with a high work ethic.

Experience
    “2016”
    Bartender at “Ha be-er”
    Public speaking and great listening skills.
    Problem solving on a fast paced environment.

“2010-2016”
    Barista and a cook at “Hipushit Ba Café”
    Using time efficiently while managing the kitchen and the bar.
    Creativity and attention to small details.

Volunteering
    “Latet” Organization.
    Collected food for people in need.
    Supervision over other volunteers and teamwork for a common goal.
    Significant influence to the amount of donations due to positive persuasion.

"

Five-starz, Apr 21, 2017 IP
  4. dbs00

dbs00 Member

Best Answers:
    A CV might get you an interview. But your hands on experience and your " outside of box thinking" will get you the job!
    So practice, learn more, apply maybe for some interships and GOOD luck!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    dbs00, Apr 21, 2017 IP