1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wilL MSN push out its own Adsense?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by fine, Aug 15, 2005.

fine, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see why M wouldn't. Baby steps...they have a ways to go before they are ready.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  3. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, lets first see how Yahoo does.

Web Gazelle, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  4. RoyalCheats

RoyalCheats Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets hope yahoo do, then its more competition for google and yahoo :D

RoyalCheats, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me make sure I understand - If "Yahoo do" then it's more competition for Yahoo and Google.

uh huh.....

GuyFromChicago, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    they could call it "billsense"

aeiouy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if people start using tool bar search when it comes out on the next windows platform, it'd probably make an adsense type system unnecessary.

lorien1973, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    MSN should focus on getting more people to use their engine before even thinking of anything like competing with Adsense

fryman, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    At the SES Convention, msn didn't do anything to educate people. I have gotten answers from the reps from all other search engines, but the msn people seemed like they were sworn to total secrecy or something.

Blogmaster, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  10. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Google has some very important patents on text link advertising. They settled with Yahoo about six months ago or maybe a little while longer. Them settling with Yahoo basically means the patents are still valid and MS will have to pay an expensive legal battle or settlement to bring themselves into the mix. I don't personally know what the content of the patents are, but there is probably at least one key element that you wouldn't want to run a similar service without.

I think MS probably has some big plans out there and some market share trigger points for implementing things. Getting into the market now would be a bad idea - since public filings would show exactly how much more successful Google is in this arena. That would in turn lead to people abandoning MS or treating it as a third tier provider and potentially locking them in the same boat as Ask Jeeves.

MS has their desktop search tool that will probably be implemented within Longhorn or a consecutive OS upon release. They will also have a slew of IE7 installs that will instantly increase the marketshare of MSN dramatically. I'm sure just prior to IE7 release you will hear a lot of chatter about how MSN's search is better than google, there will be an interesting integration point or two between the OS and MSN, and a bent out of shape consumer group calling out MS for leveraging their sort-of-a-monopoly. Once they have a reasonable marketshare, they will probably release some sort of adwords alternative to the general population, but for right now it's just a bad idea. Until they do that, there's no way for them to push out an adsense alternative.

nevetS, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    the msn employees at the SES were really weasels when I brought up the bias against blogspot blogs.

12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I had to twist the arm of the MSN guy to tell me anything. I was like "So you have this big booth here, what exactly are you promoting? What's new? What news is coming up on the Microsoft front?"

He showed me a demo of virtual earth. Interesting, but not exactly earth shattering. Makes you wonder why they even spent the money on the booth.

nevetS, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I hung out with one of those guys for about an hour and pretty much he told me something big was coming (yeh right) and he didn't know what. We went to one of the sessions together and then parted ways :cool:

14. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    msn adcenter is already in limited beta testing with about a few hundred sites. I haven't seen any example if it in action but they are already testing their publisher network.

rjhere, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  15. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is all just speculation. MSN has far to go before they can think of doing anything like adsense.

Web Gazelle, Aug 16, 2005 IP