1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will links in a pull down menu get indexed?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by tyler9953, Aug 31, 2009.

I have a pull down menu for links see gowestins.com/medicare-supplement.html . Will those pages be indexed? I published that page about 4 days ago and it got published yesterday, but none of the 50 links on that pull down.

tyler9953, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  2. pokey

pokey Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Google does crawl HTML forms, I see no reason they wouldn't get crawled. However, crawling does take time and I believe Google puts a lower emphasis on crawling through forms so I'll just observe it within the next month.

pokey, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  3. stevestuff

stevestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1st of all, that isn't a pull-down menu - each menu tab displays only 1 link. And yes, this will get indexed by search engines (provided you do a form of submitting to search engines) as the menu is natural text and not text within an image.

stevestuff, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  4. Stella_Roberts

Stella_Roberts Peon

Best Answers:
    No problems at all with the Menu that you are having. It will take some time but will surely get indexed by the search engines.

Stella_Roberts, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  5. pokey

pokey Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe he was referring to the drop down menu circled in magenta:

[​IMG]

pokey, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  6. The Expert

The Expert Peon

Best Answers:
    Firebug is saying that that menu doesn't appear to be Javascript, but instead it's a form.

Regardless, the URLS in the code are not wrapped in href which leads me to believe that it's going to prove to be a problem.

Can you generate a site map and put a link to it in your footer? Then ping the sitemap with Pingler.

The Expert, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  7. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The search engines are NOT going to select each item from your dropdown of states and press the "Get a quote" button to find. So those pages are not going to get indexed unless you link to them directly with an anchor (<a>) element.

PS: The "Dear Website Viewer" spam at the bottom of the page looks... well... like spam. Which wannabe SEO suggested you bold all occurences of keywords from your <title> everytime it appears in the text? It looks like a typical spam technique hiding all of that so called "content" below the fold. Personally I think sites like this look like crap.... but to each his own I guess.

Canonical, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    have a look at how vbulletin (the software running this forum) drives it's drop down menus and copy that. they use hidden tables and there are tutorials on the web explaining how it all works. The upside is that the search engines index the links beautifully.

If that's too hard you have to create a sitemap with the links elsewhere on your site.

sarahk, Sep 1, 2009 IP