1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will I get the benefit from a backordered domain?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by draculus, Nov 22, 2005.

One of my client needs to change her name. So we need a new domain name.

If I backorder a domain that is several years old, will google recognise the age of the domain name and therefore avoid the sandbox. Or will they recognise the new registration and ignore any history.

None of the search engines currently index the domain despite it being active with a network solutions holding page.

Would I derive any benefit from the extra cost of backordering?

draculus, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    most likely not. With good linking a new domain will be indexed shortly anyway.

ServerUnion, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  3. draculus

draculus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks

Getting listed and building links and generating good PR isn't an issue. The reason for considering a backorder is simply to avoid the sandbox. Is the extra cash going to help me in that? Considering a backorder will cost me in the region of $100-150 whereas a new domain can be bought for under $10.

draculus, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    You may run into this anyway. i have heard reports of sites that have whois or content changes still being placed in the sandbox.

ServerUnion, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  5. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will help you to avoid the sandbox. The domain backordered will be just the same as a new domain, if you are lucky.

muchacho, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  6. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    If the domain you want to backorder is currently registered with NetSol, then the name doesn't actually expire or drop. NetSol will re-register the name, then pass it on to SnapNames to auction off. The name never really drops, it only changes owners.

I've purchased several domains via SnapNames and each time they kept their original registration date as well as backlinks and any PR they may have had. The latest one I got through them was originally registered in 1998 I believe and it did keep me out of the sandbox.

You will need to sign up for a free account at SnapNames and backorder the name you want before it expires in order to be able to participate in the auction. If you are the only one who puts in a backorder, you get the name by default without having to go through the auction phase.

Hopes this helps clear the confusion.

Caveman, Nov 23, 2005 IP
    draculus likes this.
  7. draculus

draculus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Caveman that's very helpful, qdos to you.

I have placed a backorder for a domain at SnapNames and it is currently registered to NetSol. So your experience is highly relevant. In light of your personal experience I have a couple more questions:

SnapNames say the domain releases on the 17th December. On what date will I be able to use the domain?

Do I have to pay a fee to NetSol to register the domain, in addition to the $60 minimum bid (assuming there isn't an auction)?

Do NetSol charge to transfer the domain to a more cost effective registrar?

draculus, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  8. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    If noone else bids on the name it is yours to do as you wish on the 17th. If it goes to auction, the auction lasts 3 days so you have to wait 3 days longer (assuming u win). Registration fees for 1 year are included in teh $60. Not sure about transferring fees, you may have to wait 60 days to be able to transfer registrars though (its an ICANN thing i think)

heapseo, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  9. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    tiptopvillas is correct on all points. NetSol does not charge to transfer names out. I've always transfered all my names into my eNom reseller account without any problems.

Also, remember that the auctions can get crazy for quality names. The bidding can skyrocket. I would suggest you place your maximum bid now and forget about it until the auction is over. It's very easy to get caught up in the "heat of the moment" and pay way more than the name is worth.

Good luck with your backorder.

LOL, I got grey rep for my first post above. That's a new one.

Caveman, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  10. draculus

draculus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info.

If it goes to an auction I won't be bidding. My client needs a new name, but pretty much any name will do. We're not going to pay through the nose for one. The domain I'm looking at seems to have no interest from anyone but me. If that changes I'll be looking at another name.

Gray rep? The rating option gave me two options: Agree or disagree. I chose agree. I've never done that before, so I don't know what it's supposed to do.

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience, it has certainly put my mind at rest.

draculus, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  11. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    My pleasure. Always happy to lend a hand where I can.

Caveman, Nov 23, 2005 IP