1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will flash be dead ?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Charismatic_Verma, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully it won't die. I do believe that Flash games will still have a market, at least for a while after Flash dies (if it does). I doubt that it'll die quick and hard though.

ViolentAJ, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  2. JGRabowski

JGRabowski Peon

Best Answers:
    And if done properly, Javascript can be made to perform very quickly... ask Google - they're pros at programming in it.

I've always wondered why Apple hated Flash so much...

JGRabowski, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  3. x30Host

x30Host Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, not die but i don't see real professional sites using it much anymore anyways.

x30Host, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  4. fastboy42

fastboy42 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see how it could just "die" anyway, it might fade away slowly but I honestly don't think HTML5 is the thing that will do it.

fastboy42, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  5. secci

secci Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it's almost already dead... more people know how to use it then ever before but less are using it for non-commercial purposes (eg games, advertising etc).. the days of having full flash websites are pretty much over... the only thing it has left really is video, which with html5... i don't think it will last long.

secci, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  6. Cash Nebula

Cash Nebula Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of game developers have already said that HTML5 is too limited, and that they will continue to use Flash for games.
    I think that HTML5 will hurt Flash far more than Silverlight or anything else.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    Cash Nebula, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  7. bavington

bavington Peon

Best Answers:
    bavington, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  8. murthykuru

murthykuru Member

Best Answers:
    i think may it's take some time but completely flash is not going to end

murthykuru, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  9. steammultimedia

steammultimedia Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that flash always have some sort of place on the web. I wouldnt personally build a full website in flash, but it can be very useful for certain areas of a website.

I do try to use jQuery where ever i can instead of flash, but it just does not have the nice flowing motion that flash has itself.

steammultimedia, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  10. SamPeterson

SamPeterson Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft is making a good attempt at replacing it with silverlight... but I doubt flash will be gotten rid of. Now open source junkies can make things with the flex builder SDK.

SamPeterson, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  11. ackernik

ackernik Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Flash will never go, HTML5 just does not offer the same capabilities.

ackernik, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  12. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you explain the reasoning behind that?

NPSF3000, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  13. edpatton

edpatton Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I doubt that flash will completely die, it will still be a lot of people using it as well as html5.

edpatton, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  14. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's going to become obsolete any time soon. Newer versions are being released on a regular basis by Adobe and it is widely used.

travelguides, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  15. skytide

skytide Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Flash will be around for awhile. There is too much content online that is built with flash, and a lot of ppl have the knowledge to use it. Some big sites like hulu.com are still going to use flash as their movie player even with HTML5 out.

skytide, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  16. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Flash ain't gonna die anytime soon. What about games and stuff? And they could radically re-vamp flash as well to meet higher web standards.

MakZF, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  17. doconline

doconline Peon

Best Answers:
    Flash has it's place, but look at most commercial sites, they don't sue Flash, or only use it sparingly, unless for a specific purpose, such as Games etc. Flash landing pages are old now!

doconline, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  18. kids

kids Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dead! I think, but now it's still alive and fine. So we're keeping waiting for HTML5.

kids, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  19. martinvidic

martinvidic Guest

Best Answers:
    No, the iphone will die if they don't change their policy.
    Jobs is just trying to draw more attention to his products when he says that flash is bad for his devices. This kind of advertising (keeping people talking about his devices) is inexpensive and very effective. You actually just advertised for apple and the iphone. lol. Flash actually works on the iphone, ipad etc. They just dont want it because people are supposed to spend more money on apple.com and itunes. But guess what, I didn't by an iphone because flash and other things dont work on it. And I am not the only one.

But there are other reasons why flash will not die.
    1) You can't make full flash website like the ones around now... with html 5
    2) You can't build complex vector animations with html5
    3) There is no other way to build 3d effects that easy (talking about flash)
    4) HTML5 FLASH GAMES ??? Don't think so haha

The only thing html5 is able to kill is video players which load mp4's etc. But not in the next 10 years.
    It you would be such a pain in the ass to build traditional flash sites with html 5. Every design would be 20 times more expensive and would then look ugly. You would basically have to ask a programmer to build a design. Good luck with that! And even if you start designing in html5, a lot of people wont have a html5 browser for the next 10 years. My site for example has 40% visits from poor countries where people use public computers. more than half of these computers have 10 year old browsers and are never get updated.

Btw, I recently had some people asking if i could remake their site in html5. for the iphone. I said before I would do that, they should install google analytics and check if anybody comes through the iphone. In all cases the investment would not have been worse the money. At the end we came up with a very simple html version of the site.

Reason: Only one visitor/1000 used an iphone/pad.

Fact is: Php programmers hate flash and think every site needs a database where people can hack in.
    Some people want to get rid of the web designers and replace them with web programmers. That will definitely now work.
    Apple hates flash because without it they can make more money. But the use it for free advertising... like this post.
    It will need something better than HTML5 to kill flash.
    Those who say flash will die now, just dont know what you can do with flash, always leave flash sites and apps because they dont wanna see them, are ignorant or simply see the internet from one angle only.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    martinvidic, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  20. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

The appeal of Flash games is that they ca be bought for relatively cheap prices due to less manhours being used in their production.

ViolentAJ, Aug 3, 2010 IP