1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Cuil Kill Google? Where will Cuil be in a year? - Pridictions

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by atiq, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ferdius

ferdius Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried CUIL. The results have not been good. If there are many results confuses me. Repeat many results.

He did not see much life.

ferdius, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  2. atiq

atiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    atiq, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  3. communityn

communityn Active Member

Best Answers:
    My predictions for Cuil ..... R.I.P :D

communityn, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  4. Tjcrazy

Tjcrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    I just read the latest webuser magazine. They are saying cuil had a really bad start but so did Google and they may or may not succeed... To early to tell.

Tjcrazy, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  5. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The relevancy of results is ridiculous.... sorry you can't beat Google. I like the style but the listings and relevancy suck.

ruby, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  6. atiq

atiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    That sounds an interesting article. Can you please post here the link of that webuser magazine article?

atiq, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  7. Exa

Exa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Off-topic, but I don't like the horizontal set-up either.

Exa, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  8. Mr.Nobody

Mr.Nobody Banned

Best Answers:
    Nah..
    Cuil won't kill Google.. But will surely be in top 100 Alexa within a year! ;)
    I just hope Cuil has better features and options than Google ! :D

Mr.Nobody, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  9. proxy-listing.com

proxy-listing.com Banned

Best Answers:
    compare this thing is like compare earth and sky ;-)

proxy-listing.com, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  10. Exa

Exa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cuil probably used the entire "Better than Google" thing to market their site. Just look at their Alexa ranking -- it's dropping.

Exa, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  11. pets4homes

pets4homes Peon

Best Answers:
    Cuils results are totally incorrect and im suprised nothing has been done about it. If I search for a keyword for my website, it displays other peoples websites with my logo next to the results. When clicking on my unique logo for my brand it takes me to someone elses website???? Better than google, no bloody chance, im suprised they haventy been taken to court yet.

pets4homes, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  12. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I keep trying to use Cuil, but it doesn't give me anything extra that Yahoo or Microsoft doesn't already have - so I eventually just go back to Google most of the time.

Prediction - In a year, Cuil will be where it is now. An interesting story about a search engine that has more content than Google, but no one is looking at.

Phynder, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  13. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's only a lot of hype around cuil as it's made by ex google employees... i don't think it'll be anywhere near as good as the big 3, but i think it'll still survive, but be one of these minor search engines that you don't hear of much

Grit., Sep 1, 2008 IP
  14. Swapnil

Swapnil Peon

Best Answers:
    Cuil is the search engine developed by EX- google search programmers.

Swapnil, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  15. stallican

stallican Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been involved web sites since there were only around 5000 sites listed in Yahoo. I think that there is one thing that we should learn from the whole internet tidal wave that we have seen over the last 15 years.

1) Never count anybody out. Nobody thought Yahoo would be successful. In the beginning, it was because there weren't enough web sites to really worry about, and the content was crappy. Really why would anyone use it?

Then Yahoo had an "impossible task" of cataloging too many sites. Yet they did it - thrived and became a multi-million dollar company.

2) Then Yahoo counted Google out, not a serious threat. Big mistake.

I did several searches on Cuil, and to be honest, I will use it again. For my searches, I found sites that I had never found on Google. Many of them were quite good. I agree that the way they present their data is a bit less intuitive than at Google. But search engines are about results. And for my queries at least Cuil gave me better results. So in my humble opinion they have a chance, as long as they deliver good results consistently. After all the search engines exist because people use them. So the best should always win out (I'm not saying that this is Cuil).

As for the number of pages indexed, that is actually fairly meaningless. More pages indexed is not as important as the quality of search results. A lot of those extra pages may be Adsense pages with shit content. Pages that Google filters out.

From a pure business perspective, the past has shown that it takes at least twice the financial resources (that the market leader used) to take a similar market share. (this assumes that the quality of the product is equal). The question then is can they be profitable?

Jeez. This was way too long. I should start a Blog on this stuff.

stallican, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  16. JMapleton

JMapleton Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another overdone search engine. This site and other engines like it will never beat Google because they play a different game than what Google plays. Google won at simplicity and ease of use. They took a site and gave it a 21st century attitude yet with a 20th century ease of use.

Cuil is just another overdone website with too many features that ordinary users cannot get used to and/or find difficult to use.

JMapleton, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  17. Swapnil

Swapnil Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not the time being important its how you deliver results to the user who searches.Goolge search revelance is high.At present cuil is setting up,it declares that its power is of largest index

Swapnil, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  18. Next

Next Active Member

Best Answers:
    What does Quil pay you to promote their site? Or else you must be on something because it is the worst search engine I've seen. Second you're only a monopoly if you buy out all the competition. Being the best doesn't make you a monopoly.

Next, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  19. tikkal

tikkal Peon

Best Answers:
    Cuil will be forgotten mostly because the name totally sucks balls.

tikkal, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  20. Hoster1983

Hoster1983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on management and new products. It can compete with yahoo or MSN in say 2 years but a competition with google may be a far cry... BTW, it still has not indexed some well known websites for particular keywords....

Hoster1983, Sep 1, 2008 IP