1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will copying images from other sites affect SEO rankings?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TPvinod, Jul 9, 2013.

I want to know if we like an image we see in the web, and try to use the same image in our blog for an article we write on a similar topic. What is the effect of SEO on such blogs using others' images?

Solved! View solution.
    TPvinod, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Depends if you are breaching anothers copyright and you get reported in many ways, which is quite likely if you in the same niche and rightly so IMHO. Images cost money as does other content. Images can be found for free to, with permission, and/or can cost pennies so is it really worth the risk?

If I see images in SEO that have been used by those who have copied them I knock them down just for the fun of knocking them down so they can't be found as it annoys me that people treat those that produce the images with such contempt that they think they can just steal them.

It's hard enough to earn online for some so would you really begrudge a person a few cents for providing images for you to use?

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  3. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    How do I differentiate/find out images that are copyrighted and the ones that are free?

TPvinod, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
  5. Borduhh

Borduhh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another great way to use that image on your blog is to simply contact the owner of the website. Most webmasters will allow you to use it as along as you provide a credit link back to the original.

Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  6. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea Borduhh. But should I type in something like "Image source: <a href="www.example.com">Blog Name</a>" Or can I just type in the blog URL in the image ALT tag? Ideally, I don't want my blog visitors to go to another site through the link/image. What's the best way?

TPvinod, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  7. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

That sounds like the sort of thing an idiot would do to me in most cases where such things might need to be used. But each to their own way of things I suppose. The last thing I would want except in one of my sites where that is part of things is links next to images.

I doubt the OP would want that either, though who knows maybe he likes the link leak idea you propose.

8. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

I give up your dafter than he is...

9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Are you doing this for your images or just images you think others are copying? I would be curious how you know who or who doesn't have permission to use a particular image if it is not one that you personally control.

browntwn, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  10. Borduhh

Best Answers:
    I would recommend using a credit like this in the caption of the picture you are using:

Image Credit:<a href="example.com">The Photographer's Name or The Website Name</a>

This way you are providing a link to the correct source and giving them credit for their work. All in all you will not have too much traffic follow that photo, because they are there for you content.

Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  11. Borduhh

Best Answers:

I would also love to hear how you differentiate between authors that have the right from the images owner to re-produce it and people that are just copying it. Other than contacting each webmaster individually and questioning their relationship with the owner of the image I don't see how this is possible, in which case you would be trying to harm websites that are doing nothing more then giving credit to a competent artist.

Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  12. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Just the ones I know have been copied from those I know mostly, though there are only a few I have done it to tbh but one particular pic I spent quite some time on knocking down as knew it had been stolen as knew the producer and it was a bit of fun to do so.

Edit Saying that though we have all seen the threads on cease and desist letters getting sent to those who have used others images. I saw one you replied to just the other day browntwn I seem to remember. So better to be safe then sorry I say especially in these days of digital cameras.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  13. Borduhh

Best Answers:

Interesting concept. Now with the disavow link tool do you think that is time well spent? With the click of a button a webmaster can negate almost every link you took valuable time building. Wouldn't you say working on client projects is more important at that point?

Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  14. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    By "knocking down" do you mean filing a DMCA or Cease and Desist? Or are you saying you just do some SEO to "knock down" the image in the serps?

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, nor do I recall the thread you are referencing.

browntwn, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  15. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    N
    Never used it I don't build links in such ways, if they don't build naturally they are no use to me. I have a wholly diffrent model to work with which does not include link building the way you have said previously. If it is no good then people won't link and if it is, then cool, it will build its self.

Now in that other thread you said you go out to get names so you can then send people unsolicited (spam) emails which is another thing I don't do as to me that's another big thing that is a no no.

16. Borduhh

Best Answers:
    Again I hate to drag this into another person's thread. But here is what I said:
    As well right below that you can see that I said to personalize an INTRODUCTION email. Nowhere in the example email was the reference to give me a link or take any action that benefits my website other then visit it.

So metaphorically what your saying is that if your neighbor comes over and compliments your house that they are a spammer. Does that make sense to you?

Again if feel the need to continue I would be more than happy to address any of your concerns with my threads via PM.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  17. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    Introduction email / spam email tomato tomato twist the words how you like you have just admitted what I said so no slander after all then case closed golden silence to follow...

18. Borduhh

Best Answers:

Again if you think an introduction is spam than pretty much every person on this planet is spamming. I would hope you understand the difference. How many people do you say hi to in a day?

But I agree case closed because this ignorance has gone on for far too long.

Borduhh, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  19. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:

I think I can give links at the bottom of the post b'coz there may be multiple images in a single post taken from various sources. Do I need to get the permission of the owner for doing this? What do you think?

TPvinod, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  20. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    Do you not own a camera to save yourself the link leaks?