1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

will another facebook site be succesful?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dizigold, Dec 21, 2010.

im planing to launch a site with the exact clone of facebook's 2008 design and functionality.it will have little more features then facebook right now has.but i need a major big feature to get people signed in to my site. because nobody would sign up to my site since they have facebook accounts. so i need an idea that facebook doesnt have and also i need a marketing strategy. does any of you guys have an idea about any of these?

i really need your help

thanks

dizigold, Dec 21, 2010 IP
    John@Plymbridge likes this.
  2. Joel Lopez M.

Joel Lopez M. Guest

Best Answers:
    Facebook is a big competitor, you must have money if you want to find amazing ideas.

Joel Lopez M., Dec 21, 2010 IP
  3. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Lets just be honest here, why is Target successful in a world where Wal-mart pretty much dominates? The reason they are successful is because they see a demand and then go for it. If you read the history of Target you see that Target started up North in the early 60's whereas Walmart started in Arkansas roughly the same year. The concepts were the same. However, how can two huge stores that compete for the same type of business be successful at the same time? They don't build right next door to one another!

Lets be honest, online you can't get away from your competitors like you can in the real world. If you try to go up against Facebook each and every time you are going to get crushed because it fulfills a demand that is already being met. There is a reason why K-mart is hurting so badly right now. They thought that they could compete. They would go into marketplaces where Walmart already existed and Walmart would crush their competition every time. Target does well because it targets untapped markets or meets a demand that has yet to be met.

I don't see how you are being different or setting up a site that meets a need that Facebook currently doesn't if you just setup a clone of it. It's not realistic. Sorry, i'm in the bubble bursting mood today!

PHPGator, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  4. guineapirate

guineapirate Member

Best Answers:
    In my town Target is right across the street from Wal-Mart.
    I say go for it, call it FaceSpace.com and start bringing in the dough!

As far as answering your question, if you could integrate better tools for musicians (similar to myspace music), you could massacre facebook.

guineapirate, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  5. aaclarke

aaclarke Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Facebook has thousands of employees, over 250,000,000 monthly users, has spent over 60 million in acquisitions and has received over 800 million in funding (including 240M from Microsoft).

So... good luck.

aaclarke, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  6. Jakiller

Jakiller Member

Best Answers:
    If we knew how to bring down facebook we wouldnt tell you lol, i mean if we had an idea to compete with them its obvious we wouldnt tell you.

Anyways, they have a big funding, so it is hard for you to bring them down.

Jakiller, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  7. MyEasyCpa

MyEasyCpa Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeh, you are gonna need a LOT of money, think, what does facebook have but needs? I cant think of anything

MyEasyCpa, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  8. businessman413

businessman413 Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's put it this way. It's kind of like if you were to create a clone site of google. I don't know if you could add anymore value to your site than google has.

I appreciate the courage in you to go after something big. And who knows, you may be a millionaire by this time next year and you can laugh at us.

So I wish you luck, sir.

businessman413, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  9. dizigold

dizigold Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thanks for all of your comments.i think even an exact clone of facebook without any additional features may have the chance to have a success just like StudiVZ did in last years.They had the exact same design like facebook and functionally they even copied facebooks html codes and everything but that didnt change the fact that StudiVZ sold for $200Million.Maybe they were lucky but i believe the key of being successful on that kind of a project is good marketing.I have a good strategy for marketing but i need some more things that facebook doesnt have , i need them to get users use my site instead of facebook.One of them will be video chat feature but i couldnt find any other yet.i would be appreciated if you can share your ideas with me.

dizigold, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  10. D3rek

D3rek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its better to target a specific niche ( like facebook for doctors etc) , it's to hard to target the general niche like facebook, competition is too fierce

D3rek, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  11. John Alves

John Alves Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it's a waste of time. There are already social networking sites that pay members to participate, and they still don't get as much traffic as facebook does. You can't use the same idea of another company and expect people to flock over to your site. People already have facebook branded in their heads as the best social networking site. Twitter got lucky. I still don't understand why people like that site. However, it still does not make as much money as facebook.

John Alves, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  12. imkazu

imkazu Peon

Best Answers:
    facebook copyrighted the term "face" (which was silly imo) so pick a wise domain

imkazu, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  13. mkjones589

mkjones589 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thread, believe it or not....

I like the niche idea so far - that is, targeting doctors for the doctor social network - but even that would be a stretch... I would say to find a 'different' type of niche to run with - something like young retail workers - the 18 to 28yr olds who's work is in retail and they need a forum or social network place to congregate and discuss their daily shit. And of course you can pump your affiliate stuff, and who knows, you may get a mainline sponsor or 3 if things get big, and then after that? National Retail Federation rockefeller illuminati new world order, just like facebook did......

mkjones589, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  14. businessman413

businessman413 Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally facebook was for college students I believe. You had to have a school email to get an account. But as far as different features. Yes, I'd say a video chat option is good. Something I always wanted on fb was a dislike button, ha. Just sayin'. And other than that, how about... if there was a way you could leave voice comments and voice statuses. Like instead of just typing it, you could record yourself saying something. I mean, i'm not sure if that would be that successful or not. But who knows. People might like it.

Also, to expand on that. Maybe just make it to where you can do a video instead. I know fb already has it where you can share videos. But, if you could make it where you could directly record your video on the spot and just post it on that persons wall, or your own status, or what have you.

Just my input.

Again, good luck, man.

businessman413, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  15. tom11011

tom11011 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to have content that people want to consume. What can your social networking site offer that facebook doesn't? Will you patent your idea so that facebook doesn't simply steal it and incorporate it into their own? Take a website like linkedin. It's facebook for professionals in the working world. Same concept. What does linkedin do that facebook doesn't?

tom11011, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  16. Fruktkaka

Fruktkaka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you're going about this the wrong way around. You should start by having an original idea and then go head-to-head with Facebook, not think about going head-to-head with Facebook before you have a unique selling point.

Idea first. Webpage second. World domination third.

Fruktkaka, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  17. adisolutions

adisolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you want us to give you the next million dollar idea for free?

adisolutions, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  18. tom11011

tom11011 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I had an idea that could put me in competition with facebook, I woudn't be sharing it with you right? I think what you are trying to say is you want to start a social networking website, but you want to provide a service that cannot be found on facebook. Isn't that what you are really saying?

tom11011, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  19. TheOnlineBusinessNetwork

TheOnlineBusinessNetwork Guest

Best Answers:
    I have just used a facebook clone to start 'The Online Business Network.com' Which is purely as a business networking tool; although customers do have the option to create accounts too.
    I think the key to this is not to copy Facebook. By all means use the functionality of their script but focus on trying different ways to keep people involved.
    I am still working some of the bugs out of mine and finishing some of the css editing but I have opened it up to new registration whilst I make these changes.
    You should go for it. Worst case scenario = It isn't as successful as you want but you could still sell it on for a few $$$

20. dizigold

dizigold Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thanks for all your comments on that .

dizigold, Dec 28, 2010 IP