1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will '3D' Revive The Domain Industry - 3D Domain Names (?)

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Hotelsex, Jan 17, 2010.

1. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Try not to get to impressed, the valuation tools also have access to the sales information and automatically adjust their values according to sold price..
    that's why there are big differences in prices for similar domains. EG: (From valuate)
    770.com $352,000
    880.com $194,000
    220.com $8,900

I would usually agree, (still do about the .info) but for some reason, .tv seems to fit the 3D.TV space very well (to me anyway)...
    I personally think 3Dplasma.tv sounds better than 3dplasmatv.com or 3dplasma.com. But I know 3dplasma,com is worth a hell of a lot more

As this is a speculative game, I am willing to speculate that hackable ccTLDs like .me and .tv, will become a lot more common and excepted in the coming years. (More so than hyphens).
    Good ccTLDs are more of a long term investment, where as .coms, will remain a better option if your looking for a quick flip.
    Sharing my opinion

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  2. geek3d

geek3d Peon

Best Answers:
    I own negocio.me that is business in spanish. No inquiries as of yet...

geek3d, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  3. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to like the .tv extension for a little bit there, but I think I'm creative enough to pull a dot com out of any alteration rather than sacrifice with the .tv ... 

The problem that is going to exist with '3d Plasma.tv', is that most people are going to remember u as '3d Plasma Tv'... And add a dot com... I DO agree about the way the name flows nicely with the .tv, but we all need to remind ourselves that this whole internet language is all 2nd nature to US...but to most people, and I STILL can't believe it's possible, but they just don't absorb most of this the same way... not many regular, everyday people are going to remember that - they barely remember a dot net. 

I run an art department and deal with a good 100 companies a year... I'd say about 70% of the other 'artists' or directors don't know what to with a Rar file... how is this possible ??!... I actually have a copy of winrar on my server so I am able to send a copy every time It happens..
    .... and these are pretty much all pc users
    I know I fell off course there a bit, but the point was still the same... making money on the web has GOT to be catered to 'Stupid'... it's that simple.... (I apologize to ALL the stupid people I have just offended)
    :)

...ANYway....

I'm not saying a .tv can't be successful, but I think that in this comparison, the same reason you LIKE this .tv flow will be the same as the undoing of a name like this .. know what I mean?

I'm just talking about the domain name itself - not any additional marketing, or search engine marketing, or even link popularity... 

But that's just my own personal opinion... there's much I don't know, and I can honestly say that I'm not a .tv expert, so maybe I could stand to learn a little bit here on the subject.

Anyway... the bot appraisals... I questioned that myself.... i was wondering if the bots knew final figures - valuate was just too close too many times.. The only thing I could question about that, is ... how long do you guess (know?), that it takes the bots to acquire the results of a sold sale and updated to their system?

So then let me ask... 
    ... would u say that it's safe to say... that IF a bot, such as valuate appraised you a dollar amount - any dollar amount - on a certain domain - that it's probably worth something? ..  For example, the 'GamesTv.co.uk' name that was appraised for $3600... I'm assuming that if I paid the $15-$20 for an offical appraisal, It would be appraised for ??... somewhere in the area of a thousand and up, no?
    ... and yes - I understand that that also, in no way means that I would get a thousand, or be limited to a thousand if I tried to sell it with the appraisal... just sayin'

Hotelsex, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  4. patflynn

patflynn Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah when I first heard about this whole 3D thing, I was quick to check what domains were available. Unfortunately, most of you snatched them all already! Good luck with them, I can see them being huge, at least for a little bit until the next big thing happens for consumers and their televisions.

patflynn, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  5. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I do agree that at this point in time, that may well be the case. Also, if its available, you should always try and get the .com as well EG: 3dplasmatv .com (Which was already taken :()
    However there is another way of looking at it... Someone brands the .com version of 3D Plasma Tv.
    Over time .tv becomes a more known/common extension. People start to assume that it is 3d plasma .tv (Obviously not ideal, but just an example)

Also, one thing I always try and keep in mind... If you get a fresh domain that has no traffic and you build a site on it, you can only ever gain traffic, you can never lose it.

We must also remind ourselves that the internet is still very young, trends change. While .com may be the dominant extension in most of the world (and may well be for many years). People are starting to realize that .com is not the only address on the web. In places like Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany etc etc. .com has already lost out to their respective ccTLDs.

Yep, I do understand what you mean, but I also understand that .tv has been rapidly picking up momentum, there seems to be more and more video blogging/news/sports/VOD/streaming sites popping up all the time due to available/affordable high speed connections. These rising stars seem to prefer .tv to any other extension. Results 1 - 10 of about 87,100,000 for site:.tv

No, I don't know personally, but it wouldn't be too hard for them to capture the data via RSS or similar as it becomes available. So it would possibly be self updated "as it happens" so to speak.

It all depends on the name. Games3d.co.uk could well be worth that much to the right buyer. But 3dGames would make more sense.
    Valuate tends to value keywords, search volume, number or results, etc, but sometimes has trouble with words strung together that don't make sense.
    EG:
    SaleForCars.com $120
    ForCarsSale.com $500
    CarsSaleFor.com $760
    How much would you pay?

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  6. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice thread...

... just wanted to note, that i have added a new name to my 'stable'

3d Holographics.com

("Help Me Obi-Wan, You're My Only Hope")

...yes... this is a little further away, but WOW, the potential
    This was actually an expired domain that was inexplicably available to me, somehow.

This just made my day

Hotelsex, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  7. -webmaster

-webmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like big rush about this 3d stuff. However, all good ones are already taken.

-webmaster, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  8. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    Not true, webmaster

this 3d thing is about to hit ALL of the following markets:

Cable
    Tv
    DVD
    Camera's
    Books
    Computers
    Internet
    Cell Phones
    ... and more

Find The Niche
    It's there...

I don't know what's more surprising... the amount of 3d names Still available or the amount of names that are already gone.

Good Luck to ya

9. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry for the multiple post, but I'm on my iPhone right now, and there's no 'edit' feature here ...

... So to further on my previous post, not only will those categories be effected and altered by 3d, but think of the parrellel industries that get created as well... like 3d website developers... and 3d tv repairmen...and 3d cable installers...and 3d advertising....

This was the point of my original posting in this thread... this 3d thing has the potential to open up an ENTIRE new world of industries, businesses, domain names and niches.

You really want to see some cool stuff, check out 'Augmented Reality', which is already in line to take over for 3d.... and 'AR' is BUILT off of 3d...
    .... there's no stopping this now - all the big boys have WAY too much money invested in future developments like this, and if Apple showed u anything, it's that if you establishthe market for a product - You Will Be King!!!.... so know that they are all working feverishly on these and future products.

Very Exciting (and scary) times we're all moving in... we're headed to a world where we are going to REALLY have a hard time figuring out what's reality and what's not.... some of these things are just downright amazing to think that our own human kind can create something THIS obscure  - and then - to make it work

go check out that AR and then check out 4D
    ... look where we're going

My only hesitancy in buying more 4d and AR domain names is that I don't know exactly HOW were all going to connect to an Internet by then and what kind of changes will be made by how we do actually do so.

Could the dot com become extinct?
    ... chances are more than likely, yes... one day
    ... chances still high that it's in not even that far away at all

10. thecuso

thecuso Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you think about these ones?

3dledscreen.com
    3dledscreens.com
    3doledscreen.com
    amol3d.com
    amoled3ddisplay.com
    amoled3ddisplays.com
    amoled3dscreen.com
    LedDisplay3D.com
    oled3ddisplay.com
    oled3dscreen.com
    oledscreen3d.com

thecuso, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  11. dnwired

dnwired Peon

Best Answers:
    I own quite a few 3d domain names too. All .com's. One thing I'm sure is that these domains will only go up in value. 3d is not a trend. it's a growing technology. If you don't need the money, sit on the domains until the value is right for the sale or develop the domains into full blown websites and and monetize those babies! Think about the market in 2 to5 years from now. Don't think tomorrow...

dnwired, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  12. JackL00711

JackL00711 Member

Best Answers:
    I am thinking long term with my better 3d domains however i wouldn't mind making a quick buckon the ones i am not too sure about.

JackL00711, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  13. JackL00711

JackL00711 Member

Best Answers:
    Just registered 3DTouchdown.com

14. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    nice job on that one.
    ... you're starting to build a nice little list for yourself there.
    :)

15. JackL00711

JackL00711 Member

Best Answers:
    :) I need to update my sig

16. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    Hotelsex, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  17. rdthewall

rdthewall Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which of these is better?

3DPlasma.tv
    or
    3DPlasmaTV.com?

(note: I don't own these names)

rdthewall, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  18. Hotelsex

Hotelsex Peon

Best Answers:
    haha ... check back on the rest of this discussion ... myself and 'tattoos' covered most of this

Njoy

Hotelsex, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  19. Janus410

Janus410 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up. Picked up about 10x 3D domains that I find to be potentially valuable. At the absolute worst, I don't see why I won't at least make my money back on them. However, with the right buyers, I see high returns.

For example:

Wholesale3dTvs.com
    3dTvWholesale.com
    Buy3dHDTVs.com

and here's a little gift to you all who can't find any good 3d names...

We all know that 3d TVs are going to enter the scene first. However, what's the big buzz around 3d lately? The ability to play 3d movies!

Blu-Ray is leading the charge with 3D capable players - and they're getting a head start with the PS3. According to their press release, they have confirmed that a simple firmware upgrade to the PS3 will allow for 3D playback.

Meaning...people who already own Playstation 3 do not have to buy more than a new TV to be able to experience 3D. This is huge for Blu-Ray, considering there are already millions of homes who are just a firmware upgrade away from 3D. They have huge market penetration already.

Why this matters? Blu-Ray is rebranding their new technology by calling it "Blu-Ray 3D." They'll be slapping these stickers onto all Blu-Ray 3D ready products. After discovering this, I snapped up some "Blu Ray 3D" domains, too.

As of now, Blu Ray 3D domains are wide open. Happy hunting!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Janus410, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  20. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because of Sony (and the RIAA's) reputation...
    Before I registered any domain with the words "Blu-ray".
    I would get written permission from the "Blu-ray Disc Association" first.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 26, 2010 IP