1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wikipedia

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by tobiewun, May 28, 2008.

1. erikko

erikko Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use Wikipedia to gather some ideas but i still open 5 or more resource to assure that my information is accurate

erikko, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  2. SuperexX

SuperexX Banned

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia is good but dont use it for advertising purposes

SuperexX, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  3. toughluck

toughluck Peon

Best Answers:
    It has been pounded into my head in high school and my first few years of college... DO NOT USE WIKIPEDIA FOR REFERENCE... well I still use it to get a good idea, that's what it's for.

toughluck, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  4. italiancalcio

italiancalcio Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it depends on what you are doing .... if you need basic stats or info, its great. However if you need in-depth information, your solution is to turn to books .... If Wikipedia is not credible, what makes most other sites have credibility?? Nothing will beat quality books or journals.

italiancalcio, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  5. tsukara

tsukara Banned

Best Answers:
    I think some of wikipedia's content are also coming from the site or blogs who sign-up for account. My friend created an account at wiki and wiki used his blog post as source when someone is searching for a particular thing. So that means that content from wiki is not 100% coming from them, other are also coming from different sites.

tsukara, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  6. fastdrops

fastdrops Guest

Best Answers:
    Before you discount wikipedia as a source of information, look at this:

http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/12/15/1352207.shtml?tid=95&tid=14

Long story short, Nature magazine looked at the accuracy of Wikipedia vs. the Encyclopedia Britanica and found them to be similarly accurate.

Buyer beware, of course, but wikipedia isn't as easy to dismiss as statistically inaccurate as most people think.

fastdrops, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Problem 1: Wikipedia itself isn't a true "source." As there's no "official" editorial review process, the source is the user who added the material. Those sources may only be handles - not something to cite or trust. Citing Wikipedia itself is like going to my Myspace profile, quoting me, and saying "Myspace says...."

Problem 2: The study isn't accurate. It's shallow. It only looks at 42 articles, which means nothing on a site that size. It also only covers one broad niche (science) - a niche heavily documented online and off with "real" source material that many of the Wiki editors probably pulled from.

Problem 3: It's laughable that they'd claim Wikipedia's longer articles mean they have a lower error rate. What it more likely means is that it's filled with bloated text. Professional writers are more concise.

jhmattern, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  8. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I would add another point to the above observations.

Anyone whose background education is not judged to be insufficient can detect countless data innacuaries across the wiki texts such as one I found yesterday claiming that Mexico is located in Central America, something that any K-12 student knows is absolutely wrong.

Trusted Writer, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  9. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Was that intentional :D

Some information is outdated, incomplete and so on.
    Wikipedia should be the side dish, not the main course.

lightless, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  10. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL, I didn't realize that misspelling.

My ISP provider was temperamental with Ajax features if you know what I mean.

I was trying to edit a typo (formerly accross instead of across) and the never ending arrow took place dragging such text :D

Trusted Writer, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  11. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought you were trying to drive home the point you were making.

lightless, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  12. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia , I will use it for very, very basic information , but unfortunately many people take it as gospel ( so to speak ) I edited a very controversial article there for 3 months, about a living person , it became a means for people with a axe to grind to skew the article in an extremely negative manner and it was an eye opener to the lengths people would go to try and discredit some one
    So on one level it has become an easy target ( since all can edit and argue for inclusion of material ) for personal attacks on people as well as supply often useful information. However since this experiment and knowing how editors operate I would never cite important matters from it.

sleuth1, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  13. WebmasterTL

WebmasterTL Banned

Best Answers:
    Does Wikipedia gain traffic if we submit articles there? I've just seen some of their features but seems quite difficult to do do. :)

WebmasterTL, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  14. Agent_Dweeb

Agent_Dweeb Peon

Best Answers:
    So where do you get your information from, rather than wikipedia?

Agent_Dweeb, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  15. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's generally best to look for primary sources - For example, if you need stats on something where official government documents exist, you use those. Or if you need background on something, you speak directly to an expert source who you can then cite from your interview. If you were looking for something on some scientific data, you would look for original test results directly available from the source conducting the tests. etc.

If you can't find anything like that, you look for secondary sources. This would include things like commentaries. For example, if you wanted to write about a new social media tool that was launched, the primary source would be the company launching the tool, while a secondary source might be citing comments about it from an industry expert's blog post.

Here's a link for you with a nice run-down of types and examples of sources: http://www.library.jcu.edu.au/LibraryGuides/primsrcs.shtml

jhmattern, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  16. Agent_Dweeb

Agent_Dweeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Just like my old history assignments, you always need a primary, and a secondary source.

Agent_Dweeb, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  17. modern_mozart101

modern_mozart101 Peon

Best Answers:
    i've never seen anything on wikipedia that's wrong, and i've done son cross referencing. I've included information from wikipedia in essays.

modern_mozart101, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  18. o_rly

o_rly Guest

Best Answers:
    Wait a minute... are you all trying to say that there is information on the internet that is not accurate? I guess I'll have to go back to getting my facts from the 6 o' clock news.

o_rly, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  19. puremonopoly

puremonopoly Active Member

Best Answers:

They're quick on updating information as it happens. Mostly in the entertainment sector and influential peeps..

I think they're a good source to site if you do some quick research yourself for accuracy..

puremonopoly, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  20. KonaGirl

KonaGirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I will check them out for some quick reference, but always have to check the facts as many times they are wrong. Since anyone can add anything they want, many of the so called "facts" are NOT and are more opinions that haven't been researched. IMHO (In my humble opinion)LOL

KonaGirl, Jul 2, 2008 IP