1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wikipedia - How to milk the ole cow

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Dominic, Apr 20, 2006.

So you got yourself a link in wikipedia that stuck huh. Goog for you - you little wiki spammer!

Wikipedia has gained exceptional credibility with Google and topic pages are ranking super high these days.

Cool. This is how you juice that link up with some internal Wikipedia PageRank channeling...

Feel the karma... feel it... then [site:http://en.wikipedia.org keyword] search wikipedia in goog for a mention of your keyword / phrase. Edit those wikipedia pages to link to the lovely wiki page that links to your page.

Where ever you see:
    keyword phrase
    or
    keyword
    link it internally in wikipedia like this:
    [[keyword phrase]]
    or
    [[keyword]]
    ... whichever applies to link to the wiki page that links to you.

It's the magic brackets baby... feel the love.

The seo Gods will hear your chant as you channel the link love...

And if they edit your link out of the wiki page repeatedly, but still link to your competitors, click the 'What links here' in the left column and do the reverse... remove the magic [[brackets]] 1. gradually, 2. using a few different online identities... to decrease in internal PageRank and link love from other wiki pages that link to your competitors only. Then quickly rush off and make a peace offering to the zen Gods.

Wikipedia is sometimes a bit precious about who it links out to, but are more than comfortable with you enhancing how they link internally (cha ching!).

What other wiki tips have you got?

Dominic, Apr 20, 2006 IP
    libertines and Crazy_Rob like this.
  2. JamesIsHere

JamesIsHere Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I just added my site to a Wikepedia page, is this common practice, it seems like a great idea and I don't know any reason as to why everyone doesn't do it, nice post Dominic!

JamesIsHere, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  3. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because there is editors in wikipedia :) , most of external links are deleted , sites that have adsense on it 95 % of them are removed .

commandos, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wiki Tips:

Keep adsense OFF of your homepage and link from wiki to that page. Then, link from your home page to the content pages and transfer the PR that way.

Then the obvious - offer something useful.

These two things alone will not keep your link from being deleted, but they can help!

grobar, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  5. BannerSpot

BannerSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    my site has been on for several months, dont get too many hits from it htough, less than 100-200 a month.

BannerSpot, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  6. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    WP only keeps relative links (i have no problem with adsense websites :) )

Mong, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  7. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly Dominic, how can you promote spamming and duplicate accounts with a clear conscience?

exam, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  8. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By making peace with the zen Gods and contributing without gain to the wiki to improve it as a resource. Today I spent over an hour researching to update facts for one page (completely unrelated to my websites).

Realistically, you won't get a link to stick if it isn't considered worthy via consensus. So I'm just saying this is one way you can do legit stuff at wiki to improve the value you receive from that link.

If the keyword exists somewhere in wiki and isn't linked internally to their own page on that topic in wiki... it should be. What is wrong with that?

I guess to clarify - I am not recommending adding links in wiki to your page/s where they aren't useful and valid links / spamming.

Dominic, Apr 23, 2006 IP
    exam likes this.
  9. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, that's what I get from skimming... I apologise.

>> Realistically, you won't get a link to stick if it isn't considered worthy via consensus.
    Well said.

exam, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  10. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Hey, not at all, I did use language that was scamy, rorting... I was just in that stupid mood when I posted.

Dominic, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  11. xunknownx

xunknownx Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, im kinda new to this, i did went on wikipedia and registered an account but where do i go to submit my site?

xunknownx, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  12. JamesIsHere

JamesIsHere Guest

Best Answers:
    My Guns N Roses site was completely relevant for the Wikepedia Guns N Roses page, I just had to add it about five times in one day before they kept it, sadly when they kept it, they put it at the bottom of the fanpages not the top where I had stuck it!

JamesIsHere, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  13. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I must say neither one of you "get it" :)

exam, Apr 23, 2006 IP
    Dominic likes this.
  14. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Wowzer, I would totally ease off. Pushing that hard in one day is likely to get you a bad rep.

Back off. If they review it out again, look at who reviewed it out... if it was a competitor (that you can see) not so big a deal, but if general members are editing your link out so often I would take a different approach / look at the quality or relevance of your site... and definitely not fist fight 5 times a day to keep the link in.

As for the order stuff is in, 'exam' is spot on... a link is a link, who gives a rats what the order is! Leave it at a level that is welcomed. It's probably even a good call when adding links to put yours at the bottom of the list to avoid negative attention or competition. You just want to get a mention and the seo benefit - don't you?

Dominic, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  15. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Yep, you don't get it... I'm totally with 'exam' here.

If you can't work out how and where and why and when to add a link to your site in wikipedia, participating in wikipedia is not for you. No offense hey, just get to it when you have more experience.

Dominic, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  16. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you think about this ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Coupon

Looks like external links can get removed even if they get added :(

rosiee007, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  17. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Yes they can. Thats the idea of it being editable by anyone, you can add content of any kind and anyone else can edit it out or add to it.

If you didn't realise, be aware they do track very well who does what and can restore stuff to the previous version is someone goes stupid.

I see Aaron blogged about this thread at SEO Book with some more advanced tips.

Dominic, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  18. libertines

libertines Peon

Best Answers:
    you will soon "get it"

wiki is essentially a source of knowledge which anyone can edit. if your industry lays within this and you can manipulate some information making it relevant and bweneficial to browsers then who says you cant award yourself a link to demonstrate....

;)

libertines, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  19. TangoUK

TangoUK Guest

Best Answers:
    Show me some examples of Wikipedia links to commercial sites (and I don't mean the huge brands).

TangoUK, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  20. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Your username has tango in it... look up tango dance in wiki:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%28dance%29

It's an encyclopedia... look up whatever word you want there are plenty of links off most pages to all kinds of sites.

Dominic, Apr 26, 2006 IP