1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wikipedia does not respect religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ala101, Jan 9, 2008.

1. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I hope that everyone can be more moderate, to ask for a jihad over lid of an ice cream cone strike me as frivolous. What he is doing isn't really helping Islam image.

I have many Muslim friends, to me Islam is a peaceful religion that units people and is not what the newspapers or articles depict, a lot of the terrorists simply misuse Islam for their cause.

Regarding Wiki, they do have their rights of speech and opinion, for those who are offended just ignore or boycott that site. Not a big deal.

As a 3rd party, I am not Muslim or from Wiki, my opinion would be instead of concentrating on issues like Wiki, it is important to concentrate on those that tarnishes Islam image for eg those that cry jihad over a cone or I remember another incident over a pair of shoes. These are the people mainstream Muslims should condemn because they bring absolute negative publicity to Islam as a religion.

wisdomtool, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Maybe we should petition Google Too

Mia, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't like wiki, don't go there.

The idea that because something is offensive to one group that nobody should see it is absurd. By that same silly logic, we would all be left with the lowest common denominator. I think there is a Kurt Vonnegut book touching on this type of thinking.

The answer to speech you don't like is more speech. If Muslims are so offended by this, then why don't they just start an Islamic wiki that can be in total compliance with your religion. You can censor all you want for yourselves.

Trying to censor what I see, because it bother you, is a bit presumptuous.

My right to free speech and to read what I chose is no less offended by your desire to remove images - than your claim to be offended by the images.
    If the images were removed, then I am offended.

Are you taking the position that my being offended by censorship is somehow less worthy than you being offended?

Instead of making an Islamic wiki, your effort is to tread on my rights and make everyone else change. Why don't one of the offended do something positive instead of telling the rest of us to cater to your beliefs.

browntwn, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  4. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    Wiki has the right to publish a picture of big MO, it's their site, they are not muslims & don't follow islam rules.

So burn down an embassy:p

Toopac, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  5. Rub3X

Rub3X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You guys keep touting that it's a "fake image". I fail to see what's fake about it. The caption CLEARLY states it's an illustration. Seriously why must some people complain about things that are so ridiculous and frivolous.

Anyone who is offended by an image on the internet has serious self esteem issues.

Rub3X, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    From my limited, layman's understanding, the representation of the Prophet of Islam, or of the deity, Allah, is considered sacrilegious. As such, I think it would be nice if the sensibilities of Muslims were understood better, generally.

Wiki is a private, member driven site, however, and can do whatever it wishes, within the bounds of law; and no one has any right to declare what it can, and can't print, within those bounds. The Piss Christ is deeply offensive to many people, for instance. But Wiki is under no obligation to remove it.

northpointaiki, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  7. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I hope the piss christ will in some strange way make the muslims feel better.:)

Rebecca, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I would hope we all just try to make each other feel better, you know?:)

northpointaiki, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't like Wiki, then you really don't like Google. I am sure those of you claiming to be offended by Wiki will cancel your Google Adsense accounts in protest of Google.

WARNING: DO NOT CLICK THE URL BELOW IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY PICTURES OF PROPHET MOHAMMED presented by Google Image search.
    Google doesn't respect Islam

browntwn, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  10. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Looky here, Wiki has an article about the Jesus dress up doll.

Rebecca, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  11. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can understand the position of Wikipedia.

I don't believe these people can go to the extent of insulting Jesus Christ. No morals! No respect!

I don't have anything more to add.

But I can organize a group of people to bombard Wiki's "talk page" with hundreds of postings everyday. You know,

Internet is Power

gauharjk, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  12. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that is a great idea, for example when some muslims took issue with DP posts they DDOS DP, if people won't change their position punish them with spam:rolleyes:

Toopac, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  13. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Well at least shows that they are not anti Muslims, they are just exercising their rights to free speech, though I do not agree with some of their articles.

Thanks for the link!

14. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    No point doing that, wasting your time, just don't visit it. They have the rights to publish, we have the rights not to see :)

15. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You could, but that could be considered a ddos attack. Your a smart person gauharjk, you should use your positive energy for creating good things.:)

Rebecca, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  16. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1) Don't you claim following Democracy in United States ?
    2) You don't need to care about that guy in Austria .. that was an example of the laws against Holocaust Deniers .. that law has been applied in 13 countries right ? and USA could become the 14th .. who knows?!
    Read this plz :
    so why you ppl forget about freedom and free of speech when it is Holocaust .. which is a normal human issue .. but you come out and remember the free of speech when it is a prophet issue, a religious issue .. so weired right ?

ala101, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  17. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello PHPGator!
    Thanks for your post :)
    Please note that in islam we worship 1 God who is Allah . He is one , and he is not a human being . We donnot worship anything else at all.
    Mohammad was the prophet ( a human) who Allah chose to teach us how to worship him .. so he is the messenger of Allah , and he worshiped Allah same as we do.

ala101, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  18. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so your point is : You are offended if islam is not offended ?!
    do you find it this way ? even with logic it is not going right my friend !

We are not going toward starting our own wiki coz we are not something different from other humans on this planet . We only ask for respect to our prophet.

Have you found a claimed picture of our prophet in Britannica for example ? impossible .. but those photos in wikipedia are there because someone want to offend us .. not to express his right of free speech..
    If you all are claiming that we should respect this action .. then why the images are placed in the link that is supposed to give pure info about who Mohammad is ?
    why don't wikipedia just place that image on a separate page that has a big title of " Fake images " or something like this ?

ala101, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  19. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you know what ? We love life more than you do :D
    can you compare the percentage of suicides in Jordan to your country for example ? in Jordan we have around 35 suicides per year out of 6 million persons.

If it is not allowed to burn an ant in islam so how can we burn an embassy ? ;)

ala101, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  20. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    Holocaust was a real event of evil, millions died, it's not exactly on par with a jpg image.

"You" as in (muslims) can't burn down am embassy? it this a play on words or something.

You know like we have never burnt down an embassy but we have fire bombed the odd one or two?

Toopac, Jan 10, 2008 IP