1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why writing pre-written articles is going to kill your copywriting biz

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by EspressoChick, Oct 29, 2017.

Hello My Lovelies! :)

Sharing a tip & opening up a conversation with fellow writers.

I've had 2...no 3, Internet Marketers buy web copy from me and then turn around to request "pre-written articles." As in "Hey! do you have any pre-written articles I could buy from you?"

Now, why would they want to do this? Just visit that section, view the prices and you'll easily get a sense of exactly what's running through their minds (or checkbooks for that matter!).

We all have bills to pay, groceries to buy, utilities to keep on and so forth. So writer to writer - I STRONGLY URGE YOU AGAINST WRITING PRE-WRITTEN CONTENT! Because that client who is paying $15.00 for an article, or even $10 is going to be rubbing their hands together with glee, at the thought of picking up some of your hard work (with the same type of word count) for about $4 or $6 dollars. And after all...wouldn't you rather pay $4 for something you've been paying $15 for? It certainly makes a bit of cold, calculated logic to me - its all about dollars and cents, except this makes absolutely NO SENSE for the writer who agrees to it!!!!

I've been a member at DigitalPoint for a long time. I've connected with some great clients here. And YES, I've personally written pre-written content. This had formerly been a way for someone to "sample" your writing and then become a client. It actually was a terrific way to connect with new clients. But at least for me, we seem to be going in the opposite direction.

As someone who has bought things, I know what it is like to be on a budget and I can't always afford what I'd like. I've clipped coupons and shopped on sales. What really concerns me is this tactic fellow IMers are employing is pushing writers beyond a reasonable limit, that anyone should be working.

I am fortunate to have other clients. To know that others will pay higher prices for my work. To turn down offers that I feel are trying to take advantage of me. But I am hoping by sharing this experience - that fellow writers have their eyes wide open and will not be sucked into this routine.

I welcome you to share any of your thoughts, tips and advice. We are all writers here.

Thank you for listening.

Best,
    SEMrush
    Abby/EspressoChick :)

EspressoChick, Oct 29, 2017 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I agree with this.

Why would you agree to sell someone an article that is worth 3x less what it usually would be? I've never worked with a client who has asked this question and expected content for $4. And, if you check out sites like Constant Content where they have a pre-written article store, the prices are nowhere near that low - $30 is about the lowest rate for a 500 word post on there.

On top of that, most writers inevitably end up with a few posts that their clients didn't want, so what's the harm in selling them to someone interested in them? And, if you have a quiet patch, writing a few articles to sell at a later date is a good use of your time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pre-written content. Just don't sell it for rock bottom prices.

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Oct 30, 2017 IP
  3. globalbiz24

globalbiz24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I concur.

From Reddit "When I began, I priced a 500 word article around $35. After I had tested my market I found this to be too low. After a few months I settled on $50-$60 per article."

globalbiz24, Nov 8, 2017 IP
  4. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    globalbiz24, Crimebuster of the Sea,

You raise great points.

Just go take a look at the section HERE - at DigitalPoint - where pre-written content is for sale. That's what I'm referring to!

Personally I used to sell articles there. Now, the prices are rock bottom.

Go look!

:)

EspressoChick, Nov 8, 2017 IP
  5. globalbiz24

globalbiz24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your reaction is an indicator of your 'copy writing' skills.

globalbiz24, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  6. Bella Lopez

Bella Lopez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You know you've mentioned some valid points here. I mean as long as you're wanting pre-written articles as our work samples, that's alright. But being miser about the work you want and convincing the writer to sell it at a lesser price is just not worth the time and effort they have put into writing it.

It's that simple and still people ask for it and writers agree to it. That's really sad, to say the least.

Bella Lopez, Jan 7, 2018 IP