1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why would you start a free directory ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by upper, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I can't understant something ... why there are so many free web directories... some of them are and will remain free for ever.WHY ? what are their owners earning for this ? traffic and that is it ! Some web directories do have domain names like "freelinks.com",etc so those directories will ( or it should remain free as the domain name says ), but still can't understant why the owners prefer them to be free.

For example I have(had, now it is reciprocal ) and in the begining... I had few visitors per day.. but I didn't promoted it that much... and in less than 1 month my traffic went to ~135 uniques daily. I think/guess that my directory got listed in more and more free lists and so the traffic and daily submissions increased so much.Because of my job I couldn't keep up with the submissions..and finally I change it to reciprocal.It is the only way I can handle the submissions and in this way, the directory improves his number of backlinks.

There are some who are setting up directories on dropped domains, and then announce in here.The majority will submit their links to that directory,but the truth is that on the next PR, the domain stand in good chances to get PR0. Some try to get rich by installing web directories on dropped domains ... haha :)
    Most of the web directories have the tendency to get reciprocal/paid..but for the free ones...I am curious...
    WHY WOULD YOU START A FREE WEB DIRECTORY ? :confused:

upper, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    I would bet a lot of free directories make plenty on adsense and also on featured links. I would like to know more too.

mrcrowley, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  3. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Many directory owners want a paid directory, but it is tough to start out paid, so they start out with a free directory to build pagerank and traffic, thenw ill switch to paid.

bobby9101, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  4. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    That's exactly it. There are not many free directories that generate enough income to be run properly otherwise. AdSense does not do well at all on directories.

mystikmedia, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  5. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Many paid directories have to be started as Free directory.

Also free directories can earn from selling paid featured links, sitewide links, banner ads, ppc ads (eg adsense), cpa ads (eg. ej ) , cpm (eg adversal) and more :)

MeetHere, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  6. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    They're aiming low :)

Lexiseek, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  7. upper

upper Banned

Best Answers:

If you have a free web directory with 5000+ approved links and you start to sell links on it ... your directory won't "deliver" nothing to those who paid to be listed...

So...still not good :D

upper, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  8. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Right now its generally about building PR (as well as traffic etc), getting links to build PR takes time, and encouraging people to give back links means giving something either of value or for free, as there's no value in a new directory, it has to give something for free... so it gives away links.

Once a directory has a bit of PR it can start a paid/featured submission service as the site is offering something of value (a link on a PR'd site) in return for the fee.

I run a few dating sites and its the same story, to create value (in a dating site's case this means members), you have to offer the service for free, later when the site has value (it has some members for new ones to contact) you can change some of the free features to paid.

Starting a free directory is just about building value to achieve revenue in the long run.

wayner, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I made my own mistake of starting off my directories as free and then quickly realising i wanted to make them paid, i would never do it that way again and would start paid from the beginning.

I realised there was no way i could review each submission as i wanted to and at the same time keep up with the flood of submissions.

Also you end up with your directory having some listings in the wrong category at other directories when it then turns paid, although some directory owners often go through and check and move them to the right category, many wont.

Why did i start them off free, i dont know :confused: to be honest, i had no intention of placing adsense on them, and full intention of reviewing nice and thorough from the beginning.

Live and learn i guess. :)

pipes, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  10. rightit

rightit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To get huge traffic anyone can start a free directory.

rightit, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  11. upper

upper Banned

Best Answers:
    free directory won't guarantee huge traffic, and huge traffic could mean serious money...

upper, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  12. wazimm

wazimm Peon

Best Answers:
    To start a free directory and require the submission process to include submitter registration and actually visiting the category you'd want the site listed in, I think it would work as a way to reduce the amount of useless links and miscategorized links. Anyways, you would start free to gain PR and experience working with directories and later move on to paid. You can always go back an delete free links you may not want in the directory.

wazimm, Aug 27, 2007 IP
    arvind_srivastava likes this.
  13. netstorm

netstorm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen some directories with some tricky adsense layouts that make it look like adsense is actually the links, then come the links. Thats one way to make a free directory worth while, although thats not the best way to go about things. I suppose making a free niche directory could be good, say you make a real estate directory, or money directory with high paying keywords, then charge for featured links. It all depends on how you do it, but in the end paid directories are your best bet.

netstorm, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  14. turbosatan

turbosatan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am starting free directories for the same reason as i started a free article site. because it gives me more weight in the DP ad network that gives me more links to pages which make me money so i am happy.

A big web presense is always good to have in case you want to put up links etc.

there are many ways of making money from "Free" websites.

turbosatan, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  15. rhyswynne

rhyswynne Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a free directory, but ask people to link to the blog associated with it.

I am selling reviews on review me from it.

rhyswynne, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Doesnt make sense. The links themselves have as much value as links from a PR7 directory that bought a link from a PR8 site. If some people cant see it, it does not mean that there is no value in it. To the contrary those that know that an empty directory that has been indexed is a damned good investment, will also start buying links when you go paid. That is as long as you know when to call time out.
    If you can handle the spam a free directory is not a bad way to build up a mailing list from the sites that will submit to your site. This just so you have a starting point when you do start charging to review.

workshop, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  17. upper

upper Banned

Best Answers:
    this is an interesting idea :)

upper, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  18. Hjalle

Hjalle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe guys.. All things in the internet is not about money.. There are people that don't just start a directory for the money reason, dmoz is a superb example. Not saying it is good nowadays, but I they we're not bad when they we're running properly. To run an extremely qualified, I'd say you have to go for free inclusions, otherwise you may loose some of the sites that don't have any money to spend/promote :)

I don't mean that there is something wrong with making money, but there are people that like doing things for free too :)

Hjalle, Aug 28, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  19. arvind_srivastava

arvind_srivastava Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talk about free submissions to a free dir and here you have one. :D

Al

arvind_srivastava, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A good point, a have a site (non directory related) that isn't for making money and is purely for the love of the particular thing that the site is based on, for my own pleasure and other enthusiasts.

The enjoyment is my reward, from that site at least. :)

pipes, Aug 28, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.