1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why would someone want to become a DMOZ editor?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tonyc, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlg

carlg Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't think editors publicly announce that they do this. So who's going to know? If someone applies for editorship and gets it and submits his own site, how can he ever get busted? Unless he is careless or something and decided to brag about it at DP or something like that.

Nothing guarantees a top 10 ranking, but dmoz really helps (a lot). Why do you think so many people want to get in?

carlg, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  2. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    - Sites which don't meet the standards of a category will be deleted.

- Sites that are not related to a category will also be moved or deleted, most likely deleted.

- So many people want to get in because they're disillusioned, imo.

- Dmoz doesn't help any more than any other decent site. Dmoz is used by webmasters, not users, end of story.

Spider-Man, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  3. carlg

carlg Peon

Best Answers:
    These requirements are not that difficult. There are many many sites that meet these requirements but are not in the directory. My point being that if someone becomes an editor, it is really easy for him to use dmoz to promote his own sites.

True, but you forgot google who is a very important one.

carlg, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Really. You are so misinformed that it is not even funny, better to inform the Admins in DMOZ since they are not aware of your rules. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  5. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Really? So you think if I listed a site about Proxy's with no regional occupance whatsoever, it'd stay listed in a regional category forever? I highly doubt it. In fact, as soon as it was found unsuitable it would be re-reviewed for another suitable category, if it didn't make the grade, it'd be removed and the editing history proves you added it, you'd be out faster than you could attempt to justify your reasons.

compostannie likes this.
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you haven't seen all the junk that is listed in DMOZ. Orlady was awhile back here claiming the same things as you but as soon as I start listing the junk sites, she decided to stop her claims about the "holiness" of DMOZ. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  7. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly - editorial abuse. You can see the proof of what happens to editors who abuse the system right here at DigitalPoint, far and wide.

Thanks goes to whoever said 'hello spidermans', I'd say hello back, but I have no idea who left the message :(

8. Germz

Germz Peon

Best Answers:
    The fame and the fortune.
    Or maybe they just have the time. I would gladly do it... Being an editor seems fun.

Germz, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. tonyc

tonyc Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok the discussion went in a slightly different direction. I know there are good people willing to help DMOZ and so on but I just can't understand people who try to become editors 5, 10, 20 times and the get rejected every time. If I want to help someone and he continues to refuse my help I will eventually stop trying after the second deny. Don't you think so :)

tonyc, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is exactly? I start giving her examples of junk sites listed in DMOZ and she leaves and this some how proves that DMOZ editors are not corrupt and junk sites are not listed. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Prove it!

There is no evidence that any regularly posting ex-editor broke any type of guidelines. In fact, in some cases, all evidence shows exactly the opposite! Many of the editors that post here have been charged with some type of favoritism... but that is exactly what the ODP was founded on. There is proof that it goes on at the top levels (skrenta/topix), yet little to no evidence that it's taken place by any of the ex-editors here. So yeah... there is editorial abuse, but it's endorsed.

So, if you are going to make such claims, then kindly back up those claims, as yes, there are bad editors, but they seemingly are still editors. Want proof? Show me why the editors here got kicked out.... it's kind of strange that they keep ousting editors that are doing a fantastic job!

I seriously have no clue why anyone would want to remain an editor once they have visited the internal forums and seen just how the ODP operates. Or once one found out that editors can get kicked for no reason and WITHOUT WARNING, and then once kicked out they have no means of appeal.

You are a new editor, hunt down my posts on the internal forum, you'll see I asked why there was no means of appeal, and you'll see that I was called a troll. You'll also see that I have been called self serving because I listed one of my own sites... a site that was on my application and my affiliated list. So when people are open and honest about their own sites, yes you can make it in... but not without name calling.

So I really do hope you are treated better then I have been. And remember... do not ask too many questions. You'll be told to "shut up and edit"....

Qryztufre, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would he get busted? :) As long as a site meets the requirement of having "unique content" for the category he edits in, NOT listing it is just as bad as listing a site that doesn't have the unique content. It would be a reverse discrimination (not listing a site that should be listed for the benefit of the web surfer).

Editors have to remain unbiased in their editing. Who owns a site is irrelevant, our eyes are on what is best for the category and the web surfer.

Editors are most certainly allowed to submit any site to the Directory, just like the public can, whether it's to a category they edit in or one they don't edit in.

The difference is that editors have to proclaim any such afilliations right on their dashboard, where any editor with the right to look at them can see them. Not doing so could mean losing your editing permissions.

Also, new editors are restricted to one small category, and no editor owns the category, he merely has permission to edit there, and hundreds of editors in higher categories can and do edit there when passing through, so no editor has complete control of a category.

Let me tell you a little secret. There is a record of every edit that every editor ever does. If any abuse is suspected or alleged, there is a way to check it. (and any editor can do that, we're a self regulating community)

If an editor owns a site, and his site qualifies and belongs in the category he edits in, he not only is allowed to legitimately list it, he's obligated to list it. (for the benefit of the web surfer)

If he lists it in the category and it doesn't qualify, another editor will spot it (we're very good at that sort of thing, it's what we do), and it could be considered deliberate abuse and he could lose his editing privleges. The same is true if he gives it any favoritism, like an inappropriate title or description, or self cools the site.

If the site belongs in another category, he most certainly can, and is expected to submit it, either from inside the Directory as an editor, or from outside (just like the public does), but, requesting another editor review that site could be considered abuse. I say could because new editors don't always understand what's right and allowed and what isn't. I would expect the first time they would get a strong warning, the second time, they would be gone. :D

crowbar, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

BS and smoke screen as usual but if I start posting about all the abuses and how you are even aware of it then you start posting about DMOZ "secrets" and how you can not discuss specific topics like you have done many times before in these threads, so what is the point. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    One of us can never be a DMOZ editor, and one of us can and is, I'll let the reader decide who has more credibility, ;).

crowbar, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  15. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First, Hobby, being part of biggest directory in the world
    Second, money, corruption, being part of internet Mafia. :D

tradeya, Apr 22, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You should keep your fantasies of becoming an editor to yourself, tradeya, because that's all they are, :). You'd be really disappointed I'm afraid to have such a short career.

crowbar, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One of us is a man standing on his feet and the other is a crawler, always ready to betray his "friends" and dance to the tune of latest puppet masters, I'll let the reader decide who has more credibility. ;)

gworld, Apr 22, 2008 IP
  18. tonyc

tonyc Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm starting to think there is such thing as corruption in DMOZ :lol: I have 2 websites listed and never had any problems but my categories are really small ones I can only wonder what's happening at the top ones :)

p.s If an editor sees this don't remove my sites please :) hah just kidding

tonyc, Apr 22, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre and compostannie like this.
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    What's usually happening in the top categories is that 90% of the sites submitted there are being moved down to the smaller categories where they belong. :)

Corrupt editors do manage to sneak in the door occasionally, but they get caught eventually, get the Golden Boot, and just go back to being webmasters.

Short of offering bribes, nothing you say on any forum would affect your listing, it has nothing to do with the value your site might have to a category. :) Revenge is not something we indulge in.

crowbar, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Is that because the site owners that offer bribes only have sites that are not worthy of having a listing?

Qryztufre, Apr 23, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.