1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why would someone want to become a DMOZ editor?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tonyc, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    why on earth everyone wants to become an editor. Yes, some do it because they want to contribute to the project but whats the "other" purpose :)

tonyc, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  2. ohmannomma

ohmannomma Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would have loved to be a DMOZ editor because i love the internet since it was born. I applied many time during the years but never got answered.
    after the google boom it seems that this is a matter of money, being a dmoz editor means that you can get money (sometimes a lot) from that.
    So this is akind of MAFIA and we should BOYCOTT DMOZ, GOOGLE, MICROSOFT, YAHOO... Dp (ehhehe).. and my websites.
    ciao

ohmannomma, Apr 20, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's a challenging and satisfying hobby.
    Does there have to be one? I suppose it's more constructive than watching hockey or football and it does keep me out of the pub :p.

jimnoble, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  4. ohmannomma

ohmannomma Active Member

Best Answers:
    So.. why they never got back to me even if i am more experienced than 90% of the internet users?... Should i start to watch hockey matches that i hate?

ohmannomma, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  5. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    The normal process is this:
    1. You visit the category that you want to edit and apply.
    2. Our servers almost immediately send you an email confirmation message.
    3. You receive it.
    4. You respond.
    5. Our servers receive your response, and make your application visible to the meta editors.
    6. The application is evaluated (usually within a couple of weeks and often a lot faster) and an email is sent to you.
    From your description, I have absolutely no idea why that sequence broke down for all of your applications but it could well be a problem with over aggressive spam filters.

If you got to step 4 and you'd like me to diagnose what went wrong, please PM me the date of your most recent application, your proposed editor name and the category you wanted.

jimnoble, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know why people say DMOZ never reply.

I applied for an editor.......recieved email explaining why i was unsuccesful. I applied again and again, i recieved an email i was unsuccessful.

I would have liked to have done a bit of editing, just something different, browse some sites and pass a bit of time. We all do that when (if) we surf the net, so whats the difference?

Hopefully in a while i will apply again and get an email saying i have been successful. Who knows? May never be accepted. Bue i did always get a reply within about 3 days.

Cheers.

snooks, Apr 20, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  7. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I applied for a relatively big category. Got a 'thanks, but go for a smaller category' email back less than 12 hours later. I didn't get time to submit an application for a lower, smaller subcategory for a few days, then when I did, I was accepted within about 6 hours and began editing, adding in quality sites that deserved to be listed.

I suppose the main factor is, it's free to help out - and as it is the world's biggest directory amongst webmasters, it's a good thing to be a part of, I guess:D

Spider-Man, Apr 20, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gheez Spiderman, you've given me hope. I might sit down and try again later today ;)

snooks, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  9. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear it Snooks. Remember, for your application, if you want to be accepted, you'll need to spend more time than it takes to simply type random characters as fast as you can into three boxes on an application form. Dig out the real sites that thoroughly need to be listed in the directory for the sake of everyone in the world, not for the sake of an ulterior motifs such as listing friends' sites.

10. carlg

carlg Peon

Best Answers:
    So they can approve their own (and their friend's) sites for the directory.
    Period.

Even if you are an editor for a "not so desirable" category, you can create a site for that category. Your site will then get great serp rankings and then you will make money.

carlg, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  11. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    How wrongly informed!

If you do as you say, you'll get kicked out, as has been the case with many ex-editors here at DP, and the links will be deleted.

Why, oh why do people think that a Dmoz listing gives them guaranteed top 10 rankings for their sites?:confused:

12. compareandy

compareandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I want to apply as an editor, but also have a site in the waiting list. Would this count against me even if I offer to edit a totally unrealated category?

compareandy, Apr 21, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Not at all :). Failure to mention it would though.

It's fine if you want to edit a category when you have a related website. Just be upfront and honest about it.

jimnoble, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  14. compareandy

compareandy Peon

Best Answers:
    So for instance, I have an online airport parking company in the UK, could I edit the same category for other regions so there was no chance of me promoting my own, or would I need to do another category completely.

The only other things I am any use of are cruises

15. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    The UK airport parking category is a spam magnet and is unsuitable for newbies. We'd rather list people there who actually own car parks :D.

I've never worked there but I'd expect the cruise sector to be spam laden too.

For a gentler intro to editing, why not try your home town or one of its subcategories?

16. compareandy

compareandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds a good idea. I know what you mean about the spam magnet on the parking side. My company owns 9 of its own car parks, has three individual brands plus a comparrison site, and yet a little mickey mouse company with no ownership got listed and we did not. Makes you laugh really, but maybe one day my site will be listed, lol

I will look down the areas and see what I can find. I am sure when I looked there was only about 2 entries for my entire area.

Thanks for your help Jim, I will let you know what I find

Andy

17. compareandy

compareandy Peon

Best Answers:
    I've foudn the following

Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: Society and Culture: Personal Pages

It seems a little basic, but afterall, I was looking at some of the items inside, and its full of interesting stuff

Going to have a long think about the submission form before applying

18. zoltan

zoltan Banned

Best Answers:
    Is Dmoz still accept websites? If yes, how long after submission you can expect a response (approval / denial)?

zoltan, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  19. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    @zoltan

Yes

There's no actual response either way. Elapsed time to processing is some time between the day it takes to get through the spam filters (or not) and a few years.

20. compareandy

compareandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Jim

Theres no way fo checking, in your honest opinion, when would you consider re-submitting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.