1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why would one blog?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by obenix, Jan 20, 2005.

I view blogging analogous to a DJ in a radio station. It's always a one way traffic information flow unlike a forum where humans actually participate (robot sometimes :D).
    If you blog, mind telling why do you do it?

obenix, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I used to think as well. It took me a long time to comprehend the value in blogging. Granted, my blogs are pretty obscure but they have recieved a few comments. The main value I see is being able to create content that will be seen by G and other SE's as quality content with quality 'organic' links to the sites I wish to promote. I have three blogs I use for this purpose. The one linked next to my avatar and two others. They have proven very valuable in boosting the rankings of the sites I link to.

mopacfan, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use my blogs as a off-site bulletin board. It works for me.:)

ResaleBroker, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I've not used blogging for any commercial purposes as yet but the potential is there for sure.

My own blog is very personal and some subjects/posts attract more comment than others, so if I were to focus my efforts on, say, just music reviews or just mountain biking, just CGi TV ads or just automotive stuff it could easily develop into something more focused and lucrative.

And as for one way traffic, some blogs may be like that (esp the ones that don't allow comments) yet some have developed little communities of their own...

Still happy with it staying personal for now though. Why do it? It's good fun :D

Lever, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  5. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    i treating webmaster as a hobby - since i'm not an authority on anything, i simply blog as a means of getting content for my website.

my wife blogs because she wants to put her thoughts online - i.e. she blogs because she blogs :)

daboss, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  6. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, "To blog or not to blog...THAT is the question. Whether tis nobler..... :D

sportsguru, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    nevetS, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  8. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    I've just started blogging, and started because a friend of mine does. He does it soley as an online journal but his has a lot of friends that interact and it is treated more as a bulletin board.

I just like to have a place to ramble that i can get to anytime lol

wendy

ps. - how the heck do i find my xml feed for blogger.com to post next to my profile here?

wendydettmer, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  9. dchoe

dchoe Active Member

Best Answers:
    pretty much just another waste of time

dchoe, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    ViciousSummer, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  11. jasonleexxx

jasonleexxx Guest

Best Answers:
    so your blog is actually part of your site?

jasonleexxx, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Yes, as long as you host it on your domain. :)

ViciousSummer, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  13. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    i would also think that blogging is one of the easier ways to get a presense on the internet for an individual - what with services like blogger, etc. not everyone is internet/computer savvy enough to set up websites...

daboss, Jan 22, 2005 IP
    obenix likes this.
  14. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Agreed, daboss, that's why their "push-button publishing" strapline is right on the money.

Lever, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  15. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    To summarise those contributed to this thread, you blog because:

1. Content creations - push up ranking
    2. For fun/hobby
    3. Online journal
    4. Create individual presence on the Internet

Thanks to all who contributed

obenix, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  16. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually enjoy DigitalPoints blog. His tech interests are pretty similar to mine. I also think I might enjoy VS's as well. (Her personal one, not the work ones. I luv the female underoos as much as the next guy, but don't really care to read about them.)

Blogs give you a forum where your opinion and words matter the most.

From an SE standpoint, the more content you have the better. I've also found blog outbound links to temporarily inflate SERPs drastically and have a good less drastic effect in the long term.

Help Desk, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  17. dakar

dakar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Besides if people like Summer didn't blog what on earth would I do for a laugh every now and again... I'm getting into the idea of just grabbing random thoughts, organize them a little and whip them into an entry for my personal blog, it's something to do, and if people want to actually read it, hey more power to them. Even my wife is starting hers, what she wants to actually do with it is beyond me, probably bash me to pieces, but who cares (I've most likely deserved it), but it's in a subdirectory to my primary domain so it'll count.

Now my forum members blogs are more a strategic 'service I'm providing them', as they are now starting to get populated a little and they are all related to the site they earn some extra exposure to keywords in the SERPS, adds a few pages to the total page count....

So the question should be, why not blog?

dakar, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  18. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I checked out VS's blog about bathing a cat and spent an hour on her site. Good stuff.

nevetS, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  19. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Glad you guys enjoyed my blog :D. I think it will be funny to go back and read my blog in 10 years since I don't keep any other sort of journal...Plus, blogging picks up all kinds of random searches and drives them to my website. So, extra traffic is an extra bonus!

ViciousSummer, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah Summer, your blog is great, I can keep up with the 5 guys you went out with last week and the 5 your going out with next week :rolleyes:

Plus I get to look at an upside down fish that you had for 9 years that you are going to bury soon :p

VS, without knowing these things I would have never been able to start the "funny chics on forum thread".

Thanks alot for helping Digital Point be a fun place to be around from all the members.

Keep that blog going, we need more material like the "Summer, will you quit eating sharks" thread, you gave me that idea also.

Maybe you other guys and gals should high jack Summers ideas and turn them into hot threads like I have.

Hate to give trade secrets out, but what the hell :mad: :p

anthonycea, Jan 28, 2005 IP