1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why would a site be deleted from DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by twistedspikes, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I hope that you catch on that I fully agree it's not a listing service. If it was, it would be listing sites as a service. It is CLEARLY not doing that.

I also hope that you can catch on to the FACT that the end user and webmasters are often the SAME.

The fact that editors have a hard time realizing that IS one of the many problems.

Qryztufre, May 31, 2008 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    The idea of an official, staff-written ODP blog was certainly very welcome when it was first proposed. Editors were naturally delighted that AOL staff were committed to providing a public interface, and the reaction from the internet community was equally positive.
    It is unfortunate that AOL staff have not been able to keep up a regular posting schedule, but this is perhaps understandable as they have many other responsibilities.
    The most recent post caused quite a lot of confusion, and it is regrettable that there has not been an opportunity for the corrections to be made in a more legible manner, as highlighted by my friend and former colleague shadow575.

Nevertheless, the blog remains an excellent potential source of official information about the directory and its projects.

makrhod, May 31, 2008 IP
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Good grief Christopher, you just love twisting half truths to paint a distorted picture of something to try and fit your world view. You have been doing it ever since you turned up here, and frankly you are not very good at it. Someone reading this would assume that there is no customer support at any level, especially for webmasters. This is simply classic Qryztufre flim flam jibber jabber.

Examples of existing customer support at some level even for the webmaster

nebuchadrezzar, May 31, 2008 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's a nice club we are in isn't it?

And have you actually tried to use some of those examples? Though, I guess, if you want to get technical, that is service on SOME LEVEL, though by no means a respectable level according to many/most.

Qryztufre, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  5. lifeAfterEbay

lifeAfterEbay Peon

Best Answers:
    I am glad I read this post.

lifeAfterEbay, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  6. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    As bad as the last DMOZ blog post is/was and the fact that the weekly reports have been less than forthcoming, I still hold high hopes that the DMOZ Blog will eventually amount to another good resource. The editors really want it to be and many are not really excited or happy with its present usage and status.

shadow575, Jun 3, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I vote they let you write it. Your blog's always informative and a helluvalot more frequent. :)

[Yeah, I know... I don't get a vote. What can I say, it's still a good idea.]

robjones, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  8. monchito

monchito Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO, waiting for the AOL crew to blog more is a lame excuse. If DMOZ editors *really* want to blog and reach out, they will start a blog anyway. Maybe it's not official, but it may very well be second best. Perhaps there even are some good dmoz-blogs? (p.s.: i'm an editor too)

monchito, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  9. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's alright Rob, I don't get to vote either. :D I appreciate the kind words though. I try to keep my blog both real and factual. I can think of many others who would probably be better suited for it than me.

Many, many of us do just that. The problem is, only staff can convey certain information and only staff can make official statements. So all we can do as volunteer editors, is talk about what has already been made public. The DMOZ blog could do so much more than it does with the infrequent and sometimes confusing posts it does now.

shadow575, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  10. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My experiences with DMOZ have been mixed. I agree for the most part it is inefficient and self serving. Though there are some good editors there who still believe it to be honorable I have deemed it worthless..

livingearth, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  11. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    There are indeed quite a few present and past editors who blog about DMOZ stuff, in several languages, and most of us provide various combinations of links to them.

But I don't see any of them being supported by AOL or ODP management as even "semi-official" any time soon. ;)

makrhod, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    This is one of those rare instances where Rob & I agree... thought it was worth pointing out. *shrug*

It would be nice if there was more then what there is, or at least some head nodding in the direction of a few of the better bloggers out there that are a part of the ODP. As it stands nothing other then the official blog is "official" and around here nothing less then official is shot down by other editors.

So I hope that a few of you editors can push them in the right direction...

Qryztufre, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  13. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    A reliable, authoritative, accessible and above all informative site would be a great step forward, yes. :)

(And a perfect birthday present for the directory!)

makrhod, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  14. monchito

monchito Active Member

Best Answers:
    @makrhod: exactly

monchito, Jun 5, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.