1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why US do not like soccer ( or Footbal in English)?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by comboy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. flashgames00

flashgames00 Banned

Best Answers:
    If your gonna be like that,why don't english like american football....
    having said that the soccer is the most popular sport in the world

flashgames00, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  2. terminator69

terminator69 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Australia doesn't like soccer either.. I love to play it and think it's a great game.

terminator69, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  3. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe we can work out a compromise, when I see some one calling one game soccer I will call the other American football. Remember the term soccer came from the UK.

Rice is the most popular food in the world, poverty is the most popular economic condition, what's your point?

tbarr60, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  4. Kenorv

Kenorv Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of the reasons that football isn't as popular in the U.S. as it is in other countries(and I think it's more popular in the U.S. than people think, are one, it wasn't invented in the U.S. like baseball, basketball and American football were and two, there's a lot of running up and down the pitch without much scoring, and Americans love scoring. Americans will tolerate low scoring sports if there are other interesting aspects to it like baseball, if there are a lot of strikeouts, American football, if there is a lot of hard hitting, and hockey, if there are some fights. Soccer has none of that which is one of the reasons that a lot of Americans are turned off by the sport.

Me personally, I like soccer. But then again I'm a big sports fan so I like all kinds of different sports. The one thing that I hate about soccer though is the offside rule. One of the dumbest rules in sports if you ask me. Last I checked, soccer is 11 on 11, unless one or both teams is playing short handed due to red cards. But normally both teams have the same number of players on the pitch plus each team has a goalie so why does the offensive team get penalized if the defensive team fails to do its job and allow an offensive player to get past the entire defense? Makes no sense to me. Too many goals get negated because of the ridiculous offside rule. Soccer would be better without the offside rule if you ask me.

Kenorv, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  5. ballparkbob

ballparkbob Peon

Best Answers:
    It is wrong to say that Americans don't like soccer. We do. In fact, more children play soccer than baseball today. High school soccer is very popular, but it pales in comparison to American football which is the big money sport at both the high school and college level.

There are 5 problems with American soccer.

1. We don't have the level of coaching that other countries have yet, but this is improving.
    2. The sport has really only been played country-wide for one generation. I would have loved to have played soccer as a kid, but it was not an option.
    3. It competes with the big money sport, American football, in the same season.
    4. Americans don't find the game nearly as interesting as other sports, primarily because of the low scoring Make the goals bigger and more Americans would be interested.
    5. The sports is only played in the suburbs and not in the cities, yet the best American athletes are usually African-Americans from the cities.

ballparkbob, Feb 26, 2012 IP