1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why the hell is DigitalPoint selling their webmaster email database?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Kuat, Dec 27, 2006.

1. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I was rather unimpressed to see this in my inbox today ....

Greetings member of Digital Point forum:

If you are a business offerring a product or service, you need to outreach with advertising. Whether you find it best to use telemarketing, postal marketing, or email marketing, you WILL need data lists for this venture. And there's no cheaper, more reliable company to get your data lists from than Email4marketers. Go to their homepage right now (email4marketers dot net) and run a GEO-TARGETED search for free to see what kind of results you can get!

With GEO-TARGETED data and info, you can start your advertising campaign. Whether it be to mail out flyers/coupons/promotions to people living in your zip code, or calling prospective clients on the phone with these leads, or fax-blasting to other businesses offerring your product, THIS is HOW you market!

...after you visit our site, you will never again pay high prices for email lists, optin/coreg data, or any other kind of marketing data including fax lists, full data lists, data directories, and more of the highest quality data that can be used for email, telephone, and postal marketing! Email4marketers.com is better than it has ever been - carrying on with the same tradition of low prices... but now with better quality data!

If there's something you need, and you don't see it- go ahead and ask! We carry many other things that are not yet advertised on the site!

We offer GEOGRAPHICALLY TARGETED DATA. That is, data from a specific city or state.. whether you need EMAIL data, ADDRESS data, or TELEPHONE data, we can offer it as GEO-TARGETED data for the cheapest of any data broker on the Internet: pennies.

*Just in: coregistration data 2007 !!!

Please look up our site: email4marketers dot net and visit our list/product page: www dot email4marketers dot net/products.html to find out more.

As always, good luck- and 'happy marketing'-

Thanks,

www dot email4marketers dot net
    AOL/AIM: OneBedroomApartm

C'mon DP .... you cannot be that hard up for a new revenue stream? :eek:

gadgetsguy, May 23, 2007 IP
  2. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can say with confidence that this email did not actually came form DP Forum. In fact it tells you who it is from here:

"Thanks,

www dot email4marketers dot net
    AOL/AIM: OneBedroomApartm"

You should go into your profile/options and disable the email contact. Anyone who visits DP Forum can access your email via your profile.

kentuckyslone, May 23, 2007 IP
  3. phillip

phillip Active Member

Best Answers:
    I called him:

phillip, May 23, 2007 IP
  4. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can rest assured that the email is not endorsed by Digital Point.
    It appears that our email addresses were or are being harvested by a rogue member. I am certain that as soon as this person is positively identified they will be reprimanded, banned or worst...

livingearth, May 23, 2007 IP
  5. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can't blame DP, any forum is a target for spammers, I agree that you should disable your email contact in your profile. It is a typical trick of spammers to address you as though they are part of something that you are part of. I would report them for spam to yahoo and find their host and do the same.

allout, May 23, 2007 IP
  6. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright ....I am glad to hear that this is not endorsed by DP.

I am going to go look for the opiton to turn off my email now.

thank you

7. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    The email option is now disabled ... I cannot say I remembered enabling it when I registered, but je ne sais pas ... :confused:

8. DeViAnThans3

DeViAnThans3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, never say never, but the chance DP gets hacked is quite low!
    Additionally, if DP was hacked, usually the email would have a header with in the text something similar to "An administrator of Digital Point Forums has sent you (...) If this email is abusively sent to you, please contact (here a certain email appears)" should be added in the email ... unless the emails were sent via a custom script or so :)

DeViAnThans3, May 23, 2007 IP
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is automatic unless you disable it. I hate a**hole spammers, they waste my time and annoy the heck out of me! Glad you got it fixed.

allout, May 23, 2007 IP
  10. ZGood

ZGood Banned

Best Answers:
    This could also be the result of a spoofed email

ZGood, May 23, 2007 IP
  11. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Oi, kiss my shiny metal ass.

lol, joke.

Rob.

Robert Allen, May 23, 2007 IP
  12. olspookishmagus

olspookishmagus Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all I apologize for starting a thread while there are already other five threads on this issue, the relevant threads are:

So how could I have got this e-mail while both options are disabled?
    I mean that both Allow vCard Download and Receive Email from Other Members options were disabled before the incident happened.

Are you sure that there hasn't been any intrusion to your database?
    Check on my claims and please come up with a response on how else could this *CENSORED* got my e-mail and managed to get send me an e-mail?

I've also used the Contact Us link to report this matter and I asked if there is any legal action to be taken against the *CENSORED* spammer.
    So I am asking again in public, will there be any?

The *CENSORED* spammer also posted his message as a post about here, can you give away his IP when he did that post, too?

Last and not least, this is not the first time there has been spamming issues throught DP Forums. In the past there have been other similar issues.

Thanks in advance,
    once more - sorry for making a multiple thread on this issue, I hope moderation will merge them.

olspookishmagus, May 23, 2007 IP
  13. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A couple tips for you.

1. Don't double post back to back, use the edit feature. You will get an infraction for bumping/post padding, if you continue to do that.

2. If you don't want email spam, I would suggest not putting your email address in your forum signature. That is basically an invitation to spam you at that address.

browntwn, May 23, 2007 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    1 ) Since you mentioned all those threads, you might have seen my reply in all of them.

The contact member link used to show emails a while back, and someone mined the forum and collected all the emails, Then later on that person sold the list to someone else,

Its just spam mail

2) If you look at the email tracing route, you will see they are also using a yahoo account to send the mail, so if dp was hacked I am sure they wouldnt be using yahoo,

There are tons of people that spam all day long and I am sure that this isn't your first piece of mail, and the fact that you eve start this thread instead of just posting in in one of the 5 others makes you just as bad as them

3) When you mailman / mail women delivers you mail and you get those coupon books, local newspapers ads, etc
    Do you flip out like this and write the local news ........didn't think so

I think all these silly threads should be merged ,..

Remember people, Dp is a forum like many others.......relax enjoy life and just hit the delete button its even free.....and probably so is the mail client your using..........

Regards

sundaybrew, May 23, 2007 IP
  15. olspookishmagus

olspookishmagus Peon

Best Answers:
    Should I start mentioning why SPAM e-mail is not to be take lightly?

If you ask me, I do get this mad with all those trying to spam my mailbox, my phone-line and my e-mail address. They are wasting my time and whenever I have the chance I make them sorry for this. I'll just say this is contagious and pops out like mushrooms if you do not do what's right for it - fight it!

Let's not make this thread a flame and let's get to see whether there has been a security issue, since (until now) I can't see they got my e-mail. I have disabled all relevant options and have never put my e-mail in my signature or posted it somewhere about.

I wasn't aware that the mining happened a while back since about the same time the spam was sent was about the same as this DELETED thread was created.

Also what I am asking is whether legal action is to be taken against him. We surely can make spammers feel sorry for that. Always depends on the country the spammers reside. And I quote from here:
    And this is why I wish DP Forum Administration will share the IP used and the time when that this DELETED thread was created.

Thanks for your time, once more.

olspookishmagus, May 23, 2007 IP
  16. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well it was automatical setting from VB. Now you wouldn't get any mails from those spammers.

Rohit patel, May 24, 2007 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Chances are if those were about spam emails, then they got merged into this thread....as I never posted in this thread till just now, but it was on my subscription list...which means at least two other 'spam' threads were put into this (as I've posted in two others, but can no longer find them).

Qryztufre, May 24, 2007 IP
  18. olspookishmagus

olspookishmagus Peon

Best Answers:
    The DELETED thread I am referring was a thread started by email4m (he's the spammer who sent out that spam) and he had posted the body of the spam to the forums too!
    What was the IP he posted his message from and what time (and from which timezone)?

For the sake of continuity, is anyone following me?

I have had these options disabled a long time ago, I still cannot understand how did he manage to mine my e-mail address and I still await for a response from the administration team of DP Forums.

I have posted some time ago what I do to every forum I register with. Also the vCard was also disabled before the attack happened. I know how to protect myself from spammers.

olspookishmagus, May 24, 2007 IP
  19. lilares

lilares Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DP wasn't hacked, and no one would waste their time hitting the send email button on everyone's profile.. Someone collected a wide range of webmasters emails and used an email program do send out the email.

And no , Thagodz is not part of any scam operation. It's Legit.

lilares, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  20. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and for your very first post you decided to say that?
    and you signed up here almost a year ago?
    hmmmm...

sawz, Aug 16, 2007 IP