1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Shorter Is Better When It Comes To Blog Posts

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by michaelpowers, Feb 8, 2011.

?

What kind of blog do you create?

1. Splog (aka spam blog written for search engines and traffic and not people)

11.8%
  2. Blog (written for people to read instead of just trying to generate pure traffic)

88.2%
  1. Jasonsc101

Jasonsc101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Apologies. I'm new to the site and to online marketing. While I do understand where you're coming from, I also don't think I explained myself clearly. However you are right, wrong thread for what I said indeed.

Jasonsc101, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  2. michaelpowers

michaelpowers Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha - good try there Jasonsc101. But yeah I am not talking about excerpts vs full posts. That is a different topic all together. Something that you should definitely be considered too when creating a blog.

Can help a lot on the home page of your blog.

michaelpowers, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  3. Steven Gliebe

Steven Gliebe Peon

Best Answers:
    Long or short - who cares. The only thing that matters if it's useful for people. Long and short can both be junk. Long and short can both be useful. Depends on the type of content and what the reader is in need of. If he needs a good tutorial, long is probably better. If he needs a quick bit of direction before being sent off to another site then short is good.

Steven Gliebe, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess short for people with short attention spans, which is what this topic was originally about. Long for those who actually do in-depth reading.

Dodger, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  5. Mike224

Mike224 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoa, Doger you're a character :)

Content, if its short or long has to be catchy and enticing.
    Someone getting to your site is one thing, but someone staying on your site and clicking through the pages, hell even promoting it to their friends is something else

Both long and short attract different users (after all we are all different.. so I'm told... take Doger for instance :D, or not...)

If you do go down the route of creating blogs for search engines (long post), then help out user by creating catchy titles that summarise each section
    Make it so a human can scan through it and read the sections in detail that they actually want to read.

If you do go for the short posts, then its always nice to either link to more detailed content (either your own, or external) for those readers that really want the nitty gritty...

You cant please everyone all of the time, you cant even please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time... but you can at least try

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Mike224, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  6. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    The name is Dodger, not Doger! ;)

Dodger, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  7. Mike224

Mike224 Peon

Best Answers:
    my bad... now stop putting your paws all over me or there be no walkies for you!
    (sorry) .. it could be worse, I could have referred to dogging

Mike224, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  8. phseomaverick

phseomaverick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shorter post is better than the other one because readers are lazy. They don't want to hang long on your site and read all the stuff you write. Short with complete thought is better than longer one that talk round and round.

phseomaverick, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  9. michaelpowers

michaelpowers Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha - it could have been worse like he said.

I agree you can't please everyone but the important thing is you don't write specifically for search engines and you write for people :). I still think short posts grab attention of readers more like top lists.

Yup - readers are very lazy!

michaelpowers, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  10. otjutt

otjutt Member

Best Answers:
    100% agreed. Most of the readers became happy that they don't have to read a lot.

otjutt, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  11. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    Talk about a loaded poll...who is going to admit that they run a spam blog?

One of the biggest problems with spammers is that many of them don't think of themselves as spammers. Otherwise they probably couldn't sleep at night.

cazort, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  12. ruletheworld

ruletheworld Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see how a short post is somehow better than a long post. I have both long and short posts. People visit my blog for the rich content, so it isn't surprising that the longer posts actually end up having the most page views. Isn't that the purpose of a blog in the first place? You cannot always put everything in a couple of lines. I don't see anything wrong with longer blog posts if you can attract the right kind of readers.

ruletheworld, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  13. Mekster

Mekster Peon

Best Answers:
    if an article deserves a long post why not? As long as you put sense into it. You can put some pictures/image to avoid stressing the reader.

For short post, it depends. If the article you want direct to the point then a short post will do as long as it will cover the necessary details and info.

Mekster, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  14. michaelpowers

michaelpowers Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true. People will most likely not admit to it or think of themselves as spam bloggers. But I was hoping some people would be truthful and say that they are writing content just for search engines so they could make money. I definitely know this is the case with a lot of people. Just was interested to see if anyone would admit it and have an even poll.

michaelpowers, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  15. dilawer

dilawer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    short posts can also be loved by search engines if they are written nicely with right keywords

dilawer, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  16. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    It may be a loaded question, but look at the posts in this thread. The posts are more commentary, with real viewpoints. Maybe the reason that nobody has voted that they are a splogger is that they do not have the cajones to get into a debate with the rest of us.

Dodger, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  17. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing. The poll has nothing to do with the thread topic either. The poll was added mid-stream, and had to do with another subject altogether.

Dodger, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  18. Eniak

Eniak Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer to write longer posts, rather than shorter. Short blog posts to me scream a lack of effort, rarely are they concise information.

Eniak, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  19. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    One could argue that longer posts scream a lack of effort too. Oft times longer posts tend to ramble without any though put into them. Just saying! ;)

Dodger, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  20. VOnline

VOnline Member

Best Answers:
    Great job.
    Or start each of your post with a question like this :p

VOnline, Feb 23, 2011 IP