1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why people buy link in bid dir? even with pr0?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nicecoder, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Never write posts under the effects of hallucinogenic substance, please slowly steep away from the computer, before you hurt yourself….

! Ask !, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    rtchar likes this.
  2. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why? i think he is write about niche on it. man, good luck with those guys making things happen.

toby, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  3. Candio

Candio Peon

Best Answers:
    My worry is the concept is not ground breaking enough for it be a truly valuable addition to SEO. There are exceptions like....

www.you-cubez.com , although still PR0, lets you bid £1 for 12 months and for people you refer your cubes value goes up £1 a time. Each 50 unique viewers from banners another £1. You can top up your total to move up the ranks and also sell your cube for whatever price you like.

After 12 months there is a £5 a year charge but it's added to the value of the cube.

Candio, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  4. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Well at least is something different, but the site takes forever to load, the cube interface sucks, and for SEO the lack of anchor doesn’t help much :p

! Ask !, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  5. Candio

Candio Peon

Best Answers:
    It loads fine on broadband.

Although the cubes all looking different is because you choose the colour of the different sides when buying one.

Candio, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  6. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    OK you may be right ... sleep deprivation will do that. Green sent your way for making me laugh. :D

I was really afraid when Chris launched his bid directory and prices started to sky-rocket. That should have hit the news and blog circuits big time. I was afraid we would be overwhelmed, and most people are just not ready for major traffic yet. :eek:

It will continue to grow ... assuming Google does not target us specifically.

Candio: Wh0ring is done on another thread! :rolleyes:

rtchar, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  7. Candio

Candio Peon

Best Answers:
    I beg your pardon! The site has nothing to do with me. In the context of the thread it's relevant to point out that for a concept so new it's not ground breaking.

Candio, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  8. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    candio, personally i dont feel like bidding at the you cube because the fact that it is hardly getting me any traffic. and like other said, SEO wise may not be any better either.

Bidding directory is a way to go..

toby, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You answered the question to this very thread with your post right there.

I would only invest like I have in a few choice directory owners, in the way I have with chris's project. Let Jeff of aviva start one up and I promise you, you will see a 500 bid right from the door from me for directorydump.

It's all about the who's who and has a proven track record. this is just my .o2 though, so take it with a grain of salt :)

an0n, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  10. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So there isn't any opportunity for new directory owners, the small webmasters.... is that what you are saying?

aspidov, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  11. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    That site barely qualifies as a directory ... and the web site is hardly bid oriented. A distant cousin at best.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding ... I did not realize this was only an example.

The content seems more concerned with referrals and traffic generation. Pure bids don't offer incentives to artificially inflate prices.

Pixel sales were popular a few years ago. This is simply an extension of that million dollar page concept.

rtchar, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can misconstrue it to however it pleases you. Your misguided views, not mine. I said show and prove, so I dunno where you are headed with this one.

an0n, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  13. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    With the latest post by Matt Cutts and Google trying to target "paid links", I don't have a good feeling about bidding directories showing the amount paid on the frontpage with the same template, etc.. That's why I have at least changed my bid directory around to make it more like a normal directory.

This type of directory I feel is more focused on money, and in the long run is that a good thing?? (ie. Listing any sites for the revenue, etc.)

NRLMedia, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  14. aspidov

Best Answers:
    Well, to be honest with you I was just spamming with my signature links. But I believe I am heading in the right direction by not bidding on bid directories that are listed on mine, that doesn't create any reciprocation and offers more benefit to everyone.

aspidov, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  15. aspidov

Best Answers:
    I did notice that and I believe thats a very smart workaround, good luck with your new directory.

But about the money... it is a good thing when you are pitching "Traffic" instead of "Links" for sale. The bigger you bid, the more traffic you are likely to get, not speaking of PR

aspidov, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  16. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. :)

NRLMedia, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  17. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $1 isnt really anything and with paid directories you can be almost certain its not full of spam and your link will be included

ninjashoes, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  18. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    At first I did not have bids showing on my directory ... people were a bit shy to bid if they couldn't see where their bid will appear. Since I put pricing on the listings bidding has improved.

I think you will see Google go after people who try to hide the fact they are selling links first.

People are ignoring the other post on Matt Cutt's Blog
    When I see Yahoo! Directory change it's practices then I will worry ... then again maybe Google is trying to kill them and MSN bCentral too. Won't they be pissed when these income streams dry up. :)

Sounds like a power struggle between Google and the FTC ... I wonder who will be the casualties.

rtchar, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can see and understand your point here. I had planned on removing the prices, but then I started to think, when someone hits my Bidding Web Directory and sees the prices, I think they will be more inclined to visit when they see the amounts just out of sheer curiosity, and thus helping to drive traffic back and forth.

It really is something to ponder about, since it can also detract from your site as well and scare people off when they see big bids.

Would anyone agree with me on calling this one 'a rock and a hard place'?

an0n, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  20. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I don't think Matt was talking about directories in that. I believe he was referring to text links. Directories like Yahoo and others that provide a good resource are perfectly fine. I don't think Google is going to hold it against anyone to charge for entry into a quality web resource. It takes time to edit/approve listings, and they won't expect all directories to offer that free. There's a lot more that comes to mind about this, but I think that was the main point I wanted to make there.

As for bid directories, it really depends on the focus and goals of the directory. I know that a couple are working really hard to generate real, direct, valuable traffic to the sites, thus making them a resource for visitors as well as web site owners, just in a different way. A couple of the bid directories are generating very good traffic for listed sites. So, submitters for these could just as well be submitting for traffic, name recognition, etc. as much as link value. I think it is these that will survive with no problem and continue to be a beneficial listing for all of these reasons. I actually think that bid directories that do this are in a better position than most standard directories because of these other benefits mentioned. I know that there are very few directories that deliver as much traffic as the bid directories referenced.

mystikmedia, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.