1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why not use GoDaddy DNS servers instead of my hoster's DNS server ?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by cstavaru, Jan 13, 2008.

Hi,

Please give me a reason why I should use my hoster provided DNS servers instead of GoDaddy default dns servers which I get when registering a new domain ? Is GoDaddy slower ?

In the GoDaddy DNS control panel I can point the godaddy dns servers to my hoster-provided ip addresses and thats it. I can also create all types of DNS records, etc.

So does everybody seem to be using their own custom nameservers provided by the hosting company ? To me its important to rely as little as possible on my hoster so that I can change it rapidly if I need to :)

cstavaru, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  2. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't have any hosting on GoDaddy then why use godaddy's DNS?? You use your hosters addresses to point the domains to the location of the webspace provided by the host.

RovingCalypso, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  3. jarrodw

jarrodw Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no reason other than having one location to manage your hosting account and DNS records in one place.

One thing that I dislike about godaddy DNS is that by default they park your domain and post their ads all over it.

I own enough domains to get a lot of services from godaddy for free so for all of the bad I could say about them I still use them.

I manage my own BIND for most of my domains as I like to have control over zone transfers and access control.
    I also hate waiting for the automated systems that large DNS providers use to insert records into the zonefiles. I like to get it done now.

It is largely up to you. I would investigate what godaddy offers vs your host and choose based on your requirements or likes vs dislikes.

jarrodw, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  4. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    because if you use your registrar's dns, you have to put your host IP's
    if you use your host's DNS you put your host nameservers

for any possible IP changes for your host server , you would have to update that IP in your registrar DNS. Not an issue when you have put your host nameservers there as they would take care of any IP changes without your need to participate

atxsurf, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  5. cipals15

cipals15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I have experienced, GoDaddy domains had 2 default nameservers served everytime you buy one which could not be deleted. Upon testing the DNS manager at Godaddy, I discovered that you could add more nameservers in the zone files.

cipals15, Jan 8, 2011 IP