1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Microsoft or Yahoo don't make another AdSense?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by JamesColin, Sep 12, 2011.

Don't you wonder sometimes why Microsoft never opened an ad system similar to AdSense? And why the one that Yahoo opened in beta for 4 years has been closed and was never opened to other countries than US/Canada?

I find it very strange that such big players with lots of resources don't try harder to become competitors of AdSense since it is such a good source of income for Google, why Yahoo and Microsoft, or even Amazon/eBay, don't open their own ad network?

Are there some secret contracts between such big corporations? I don't understand, ok of course running such a massive ad network with lots of advertizers and publishers requires a lot of investment and people working, but it is also a giant source of revenue.. Maybe Yahoo/Microsoft/Amazon have already too much profit to bother with creating an ad network to compete with AdSense? I don't get it.

Do you have an idea, why they don't do it? Why Yahoo Publisher Network has been closed and Yahoo advised publishers and advertizers to go to Chitika..

I never get to read the reasons about Yahoo closing their 4 years beta program.. I have also never read why the ad network of Microsoft never opened to worldwide publishers.. What are the state of those programs?

JamesColin, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  2. superkunam

superkunam Peon

Best Answers:
    don't know the exact reason, but i think it's too difficult to fight with google in contextual advertising program like Adword.. Maybe they just think that it's easier to make good profit in another program with just little competitor

superkunam, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  3. Husameddin

Husameddin Active Member

Best Answers:
    go ask them...

Husameddin, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  4. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seems true. There might be some internal thinking going between these giants. Or they might have get their hands away as its not easy to beat Google in advertising world.

They have invested huge over this and even have huge network of publishers and advertisers. its not easy and need time and time and time........

expertofexperts, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  5. inquisitive2011

inquisitive2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    MS has always ridiculed goofle as ad company and not a technology compnay, and it cant brazenly enter in the same field.
    also MS has no base, googls has made blogger as a platform to provide ad services.
    ms cant run ad services unless it gets some base, and thats why it had tried a hostile takeover on yahoo, which failled miserably.

inquisitive2011, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  6. yaseen4u

yaseen4u Peon

Best Answers:
    yes seems true..... no one beat google adsense and they sharing 67% earning

yaseen4u, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  7. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    because they didn't want to go through all those blogspot crap sites that I see posted here all the time on DP

Project Mobius, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  8. gtk29

gtk29 Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo simply lacks the vision. They invest in technologies that nobody uses - like Yahoo Sports Radio - ever heard about it? Same problem with AOL.

gtk29, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  9. Aleksandar Mitić

Aleksandar Mitić Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who said they didn't? https://adcenter.microsoft.com/

Some parking companies are using the Bing feed as well. Even the once all time favorite parked.com still does. I don't know about people signing up and serving their advertisements individually (you can look it up though), but Microsoft sure does make money this way.

On a side note, if they do not allow "small players" to sign up, they could and perhaps that would expand their income, but as Project Mobius nicely explained, there's really no point of allowing the already dumped group to simply switch sides and start displaying ads on low quality websites. I think it would simply backfire at this stage on a global level. They would have to go through all the trouble that google already did.

Basically, it's not about the man power or expertise, it's simply about being impossible to beat google at their own game while they are holding the majority of search share. Former YPN is a solid proof.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    Aleksandar Mitić, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  10. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I know Microsoft also talked about doing a competitor to AdSense, even accepting publishers in a few countries.

But all this was several years ago, and now still no news, the only news we got was from Yahoo saying they closed they YPN..

That's all I'm saying, I've been following that during those years, I'm AdSense publisher since 2003 and would welcome competition from other giants.

Since Adbrite, Chitika, Infolinks, etc.. can do ad networks, I'm simply surprised that giants such as big corporations Microsoft, Yahoo, Amazon, don't invest several hundreds millions in a new department separated from their main business and go full force into it.

Some give good arguments about them not wanting to have to deal with the cheaters and overall third world shit, but they can put rules in place, like restricting to western countries (and that doesn't mean only US/Canada, please) or enforcing even stricter rules than AdSense, maybe even require moderately trafficked sites with regular domain ownership checks, I don't know, but they could if they wanted. I think there is big money to be made, and why they would just ignore it as if it was just too much trouble to be worth it, is puzzling me.
    Especially since other companies such as the one cited above are already doing it with way less resources, with limited success, granted, so can't be too hard for giants to get into this business. They will not ony get banned publishers from AdSense but also current AdSense publisher who would welcome some competition, especially since we can put one ad from each network on our pages, in order to not put all our eggs in the same basket.

I think if Yahoo and Microsoft and other were opening their ad network with great quality for advertizers, the eCPM could be same as AdSense. Anyway that is just something that make me wonder since several years, ever since the Yahoo Publisher Network was staying in beta for years.. And no Husameddin I won't bother ask them.. You're joking.. :)

JamesColin, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  11. 75dollarseo

75dollarseo Peon

Best Answers:
    google = google .. that's all

75dollarseo, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  12. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    This is all about business strategy. I assumed that you know about 80-20 principle which is agreed by many company that 80% revenue come from 20% customer (major/big customer). Google is actually breaking or against this concept, they don't focus on only major customer. However, most of the company still focus on major customer such as Microsoft since they no want to waste too much resource, they only focus on the 20% customer that bring them 80% revenue

lifeplayer, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  13. inomcoke

inomcoke Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't done this as well. There's so much money to be made and its a proven business model.

inomcoke, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  14. Fastseo

Fastseo Member

Best Answers:
    because need heavy budget and competition will be too hard with Google .

Fastseo, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  15. OmarJames

OmarJames Member

Best Answers:
    Big competitors is not easy as you think to go down. Just saying :)

OJ

OmarJames, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  16. shuvo

shuvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably they fear or probably they dont have confidence to fight with Google or making the program flexible and popular as Google did it already.

shuvo, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  17. digitalwebman06

digitalwebman06 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far i know that Yahoo has the advertising campaigning. i am not sure but its quite obvious that they have one. yes it is also true that its quite impossible to compete with Google. :)

digitalwebman06, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  18. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's finished yahoo..

JamesColin, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  19. Rupam Das

Rupam Das Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Running an ad network needs, offline work, adserver, analytic, finance management.
    2. Serving the relevant Ads depends upon getting the search engine right!
    3. Microsoft earns a great deal from it's OS and it's main challenge is right now to compete Android and Ubuntu
    4. Yahoo is media delivery network, more on mail and news. It wants mail to compete Google.

Chitika, Bitvertisers are miserably under strain in terms of bootom line.

So These two company's main focus is on getting the next technology on hand. The next revolution!

And in doing so Google is allowed to become an indisputable leader in: Browser, Mobile OS, Mail, Video Delivery.
    Thanks God, G+ could not rock the same way as they thought it would!

That clearly explains the stuff. The legacy of these companies are haunting them badly.

Rupam Das, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  20. nainlove

nainlove Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    becaz google is best

nainlove, Oct 30, 2011 IP