1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is there no 64-bit MySQL for Windows???

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by Chrissicom, Nov 13, 2005.

I am currently setting up my new Webserver with Windows Standard 2003 x64 Edition. IIS shows quite some improvements over the 32-bit version but I was very dissapointed when I visited mysql.com to find out there is no 64-bit version for Windows. Even the source code doesn't give me the ability to compile for AMD64 architecture. Only IA64 for Itanium is supported. Does anyone know why x64 on Windows isn't supported or when it will be? On the mysql forums I saw one post with a similar question and the person who just asked nicely was bashed by some stupid Linux users.

Best Regards
    Chris

Chrissicom, Nov 13, 2005 IP
  2. dataman

dataman Peon

Best Answers:
    If you using the community release then you will have to wait or you can download the source and build it for native 64 support even to support AMD. The source does support 64bit if you know how to do it. If you can't do that then you can also run the 32bit community release both work well on any 64bit box even windows. I run 64bit Windows 2003 Enterprise with MySQL Server 5 built with native 64bit support and PHP 6 with native 64bit support. So I know you can do it because I am using AMD on my notebook with the above setup.

It took me day to do it and that was because I had to find many supporting libraries that only Microsoft has on MSDN. They also include some of them on the April 2005 MSDN Disc 2, there are also newer updates in the members area! If you have Windows 2003 then you should have MSDN support license that allows you access Windows 2003 development support area.

If you look in resource area you will find listing that explain this (building MySQL 5 for native 64bit AMD support under Windows 2003) many seem to have asked the same question you have! If you go there and read through you will be able to build your own! I wish I had read them notes before I did mine it would have saved me a day!

jb

dataman, Nov 13, 2005 IP
  3. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Can you please put up some links so I can find this information more easily? The source code I downloaded from mysql.com only allows compiling for Itanium IA64 based systems there is no support for AMD64 in the distributed source code from mysql.com. Also where did you get PHP 6??? There's no word of it on php.net.

Chrissicom, Nov 14, 2005 IP
  4. Palithius

Palithius Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the Windows 2003 MSDN subscription but I do not know where the Windows 2003 development area is or the "members" area is. Could you please link me to where I can find this so I can log in; if not could you post the article that explains how to build mysql 64 in windows?

Thanks

Palithius, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  5. Raven737

Raven737 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i compiled MySQL for AMD64 without the DDK (just the SDK)

if during compilation you get some:
    Unresolved external __security_cookie errors

then simply add thw following two lines to the files that cause the error:
    //------------------------------------------------------------
    int __security_cookie;
    void __fastcall __security_check_cookie(void *stackAddress){}
    //------------------------------------------------------------

The DDK contines a lib (bufferoverflow.lib (NOT bufferoverflowU.lib)) that you need otherwise to get around this error when compiling services/drivers. This error is caused by the /GS compiler switch which forces a buffer overrun protection onto your code... however since VS 2003 it is permanently enabled. How nice of MS, of course to compile services with this buffer overrun protection you need the DDK for which you need to pay MS lots of $.... thank you M$....

thats why most people just start using Linux for AMD64 instead

Raven737, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  6. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers: