1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is it So Hard to be a Good Writer ? :(

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by bulletinblips, Sep 12, 2011.

1. avinasch

avinasch Peon

Best Answers:
    you don't need to be a good writer to get appreciation. just try writing that people like or looking for. don't overstuff your post with keywords.

avinasch, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  2. bulletinblips

bulletinblips Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank You for your Suggestion

bulletinblips, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  3. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Being a good writer is a problem today, especially if you are looking to make money and a living from it.

Employers don't want good writing, they want CHEAP writing. They are too lazy to do it themselves, or they know how difficult it can be to write copy that turns a reader into a customer. The problem is, they don't want to pay for it because they think writing isn't difficult to do. Everyone has a keyboard and a computer now, right?

If you want to be a great writer the first thing you need to do is practice. The second thing is to ignore the cheapskates that don't value the sweat and energy you put in to developing your writing skills. Those people are slave drivers looking to make a quick buck off your experience.

When you find yourself considering selling your writing services for a buck or less, ask yourself this: if writing was so easy, why haven't these cheapskates done it already for themselves?

chant, Sep 24, 2011 IP
  4. bulletinblips

bulletinblips Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Chant I am improving from all your expert Advices Thank You all :)

bulletinblips, Sep 25, 2011 IP
  5. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say also, that if you are not writing about what you love, it becomes hard. I will use myself as an example. I used to write in the dating niche, and to be quite honest, I can't stand dating. I am single, and I find the whole dating scene annoying (for lack of a better word). If you find your sweet spot, it becomes so much easier.

Of course proper grammar and spelling are crucial as well.

Keep in mind when you are writing to pretend that the person is sitting in front of you. Use the word "you" a lot. Make them feel you are talking directly to them.

Also, write in what is called an upside down pyramid. What that means is, put the best part of the article in the first paragraph, then wind it down toward the end. Use short paragraphs, no more than 3 sentences, and keep your articles around 400-500 words.

Remember that when people are online, they are in a hurry, they skim. They don't want some long drawn out article. They simply won't read it.

I hope that helps. I just took a class "Writing for the Web" and this is what we learned, and this is current for today.

crispy critter, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  6. bulletinblips

bulletinblips Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank You Crispy for your Time

bulletinblips, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  7. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    You are welcome bulletinblips!

I forgot to mention to use bullets wherever you can. And also don't use big words, for example instead of using the word "receive" use the word "get."

In the class I took we were referred to the book "Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson". It would be worth your time to get the book, and pay attention to the writing style. It is an awesome book full of great advice, and an easy read. I have personally read it several times.

One thing they mention in the book is "cut the words", they say: "cut the words, cuts the words, then cut the words again." You must learn to be concise with your message. In my opinion, that means to get your message across with the shortest amount of words.

Another thing we learned is that the most popular websites write in a style that is humorous...so humorous that your grandma would find it amusing.

I hope that helps. I have no problem sharing what I have learned. If you have any questions that I can help with, just ask me. :cool:

crispy critter, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  8. bulletinblips

bulletinblips Peon

Best Answers:
    I am familiar with the technique concise but not how to make my story humorous if you could please elaborate that will be really useful

bulletinblips, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  9. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    You have not mentioned your topic, so I am taking a stab at this. You must know who your audience is.. get inside their head and try to think about what problems they may have, and pretend like you are talking to one of your good friends. Connect with them. Take yourself out of the equation, it is not about you, it is about them.

10. 5/1 Generator

5/1 Generator Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're writing in a non-native language, and you want to be a good writer in that language, you need to immerse yourself in that language, in its spoken and written forms--they are different. Are you a good writer in your native language?

In general, you learn from what works. So read! My writing chops also improved significantly after I took up journal writing.

5/1 Generator, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  11. 5/1 Generator

5/1 Generator Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also recommend the classic - "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White.

5/1 Generator, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  12. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    One more thing that might help is to google whatever it is that you are writing about, then hit "discussions" and read what questions people have, and what they are saying. I ALWAYS do that first when researching anything.

13. edwardsjanet

edwardsjanet Peon

Best Answers:

Hey there, not to sound rude or anything, but there are a few mistakes in your writing. Like "expert's" will not have an apostrophe 's'. '5 Mints' should also be '5 mins'... Take some time and go through what you write before you post it up :)

edwardsjanet, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  14. jewel3000

jewel3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    To get better at writing, you probably need an offline college writing course. Start learning the basics in a serious manner. Than get yourself graded on some essays. The course might also introduce creative writing, etc., which will help your online goals.

I'd also study how top writers write articles for the New York Times, Newsweek, etc. Really analyze various stories, sentence by sentence. Ask yourself how you could have made that sentence sound better. If you don't see a way to make it better, start constructing your sentences and stories the same way they would.

jewel3000, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  15. bulletinblips

bulletinblips Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate every ones view Thank You All

bulletinblips, Oct 1, 2011 IP
  16. rhondag

rhondag Member

Best Answers:
    I am a full time ghostwriter and here is what I have learned from writing for many Internet Marketers. People that come to your sites are everyday folks and it is important to talk to them just like you are talking to a friend. So when writing an article or e-book you should write it that way. You want to talk TO people, not DOWN to people. Wrong example: It is important to eat vegetables because they are good for you. Good Example: Everyone would love to be healthier, and eating your vegetables is a great way to get started. Your writing should be something easy to read, and words that flow off the tongue easily. Do plenty of research for your writing and also do a grammar and spelling check. Don't trust spell check totally. Read your article out loud when finished and you will find more mistakes. For example. You might have the word "there" when it should be "their".

If you really want to be a writer you can keep working on your skills and you will get there!

:D

rhondag, Oct 2, 2011 IP
  17. venkatvemireddy

venkatvemireddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks digitalpoint, i learnt some new quality writing tips from the above.

venkatvemireddy, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  18. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi rhondag,

I am curious if you make a full time income as a ghostwriter? I have wanted to write for others, however, everyone wants to pay $2 for an article, and in my opinion, it is not worth the time and effort for that. You have obviously found marketers that understand that people can't work for peanuts.

crispy critter, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  19. rhondag

rhondag Member

Best Answers:

I know what you mean about writers not always getting paid enough. When I first started out I didn't make a lot either, but as you get better there are ways to promote your business and get more money. I do write full time from my home in Texas, however I have Have a husband who works as well, but we make a very good living between the two of us. I won't say exactly how much I make from writing, but I can tell you I was able to quit my full time job.

I am in the process of writing a book on how I got my writing business started, but it may be after the first of the year before it is ready. I think it's a shame for people to get paid so little and that is why I want to teach writers how they can make more. There is no guarantee in the writing business as you work from month to month, but it's great to be your own boss for sure.

Part of the reason I believe I have had such good success is because of my research techniques and writing style. I have a e-book for sale in the Buy, Sell, Or Trade Forum that is for newbies and upcoming writers that teaches them my exact research techniques. When you have good research, your articles will be outstanding and your clients will be willing to pay more money for them. Thanks for the question. Hope this answer helps.

rhondag, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  20. crispy critter

crispy critter Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your prompt response. I feel like I do thorough research, and I do a good job, but I did give up a while back, I went on Elance, and what they wanted you to do for $2 was insane. I guess those guys need to outsource to India or something. I am also not a complete newbie, but also not intermediate either. I will check your book out in the buy sell and trade section.

It is great that you were able to quit your job. I am a single mom, plus I am a full time student, and working a 9-5 does not work for me, mainly because I don't want it to. :D I did the corporate America thing for years and years, and have no desire to go back. So, here I am.. I have also experienced that finding the time to do everything can be a bit overwhelming as well. My son is 9 and he has all of his activities going on, it keeps me on my toes, that's for sure.

crispy critter, Oct 5, 2011 IP