1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is it always "CHEAP ARTICLE WRITER"

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by phyza, Apr 13, 2009.

1. wanderinglex47

wanderinglex47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think when everyone will get fed up with crappy cheap articles, they'll start buying higher quality ones. I ordered 5 $1 articles and they were so bad I never ever buy articles that cost below $8 and that are written by people whose first language isn't English.

wanderinglex47, May 17, 2009 IP
  2. WinterWind

WinterWind Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding? 90% of that 80% you've seen ask both cheap but quality writing, english native speakers with a college degree to qualify for $0.000001 p/word :eek:

WinterWind, May 17, 2009 IP
  3. omshanti

omshanti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jennifer, which are the sections within this forum that you think would be worthy of contributing our ideas to get the kind of gigs you're talking about - like $50 for 500 words?

I see certain sections such as Blogging, Adsense, General Business, Introductions as the places to start with.

Also, What makes a client approach a prospective writer/copywriter when they see them within the forum?

Please contribute your ideas. Thanks.

omshanti, May 17, 2009 IP
  4. BelissaC

BelissaC Peon

Best Answers:
    If you factor in foreign exchange, what is cheap to you may not be cheap for the writer. That is if he/she lives in a third world country. $3 dollars a pop is considered above average for some.

That's how globalization works.

BelissaC, May 17, 2009 IP
  5. krisdude

krisdude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used 'cheap article services'. Once I had to rewrite the whole article! though it did pass copyscape. But once I was amazed by the quality and it even passed copyscape. It is true, you have to find the gem!

krisdude, May 18, 2009 IP
  6. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    I really dislike the word cheap

there are many other ways to say or ask for a discounted thing I think any self respecting person or business person should avoid the word cheap. It really has bad connotations

ErikJ, May 18, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    True, but then again I question how much self respect someone actually has when they're willing to write for less than half a penny per word. In cases like those, the word seems quite fitting (whether or not it's used in a grammatically-correct way).

jhmattern, May 18, 2009 IP
  8. GodLike

GodLike Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not about the cheap articles. I feel everyone in this world only looks for quality, specially with this increasing competition. But they do it in their own diverse ways..Some tend to put quality at such a high post that they can give any price for it and some tend to find it at an affordable price.

GodLike, May 21, 2009 IP
  9. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I never call myself a cheap article writer. I will at best offer a cheap deal, but it's only if I want to increase my customer base through savings to the client rather than spending money on adwords or other advertising... Never willing to sacrifice quality.

xInd, May 22, 2009 IP
  10. ardh

ardh Peon

Best Answers:
    ardh, May 22, 2009 IP
  11. Calippo

Calippo Peon

Best Answers:
    Id rather pay good money to get a decent atricle then a cheap bad quality one but thats just me.

Calippo, May 23, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Sorry - missed this before. There is no best section. This forum isn't even the right forum for a lot of writers wanting higher pay. You get the higher paying gigs by specializing in something you're qualified to write about, and then networking wherever those target clients hang out. For instance, if someone writes about health issues, they'll be less likely to find high paying work on DP in any section than someone writing about business or tech topics. Post where the clients are. The sections (and sites) will vary from one writer to the next, but knowing where your target market hangs out is a part of the market research that should have been done before getting started in freelancing to begin with. There's no "right" answer to your question unfortunately.

jhmattern, May 23, 2009 IP
  13. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is amazing. It kind of goes around in circles, but it hangs on forever. If you get paid, you are "professional" in a sense. But, I think Webster sums it up better:

1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

So whether your article is "cheap" or not really doesn't define your professionalism. Not really. It's your character and ethic that really tells the tale.

If I tell someone; "Hey, I'll write you some cheap articles" (which I would never do, by the way), they will be professional cheap articles. That is because I am a professional in what I do.

My Father used to say; "Son, if you are gonna be a bum, be the BEST damn bum in the world!" If you are gonna write "cheap" articles, then write the best damn cheap articles anyone ever read!

BadBoyzStudioZ, May 23, 2009 IP
  14. hadeedg

hadeedg Banned

Best Answers:
    i prefer cheap you save money duh

hadeedg, May 24, 2009 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Being paid in and of itself will never make someone a "professional" in my eyes. There are MANY self-proclaimed hobby writers who earn a bit of money. That's not a professional anymore than I'd be a professional childcare provider if a friend paid me to look after their kids for a day. If a friend asked for one-time help writing a page, and they forked over a fiver, that wouldn't make someone a professional. There's a reason there are so many possible definitions. People won't ever agree. I know others writers who don't believe any writer can be a "professional" - that the term is reserved solely for licensed professions like lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc.

In the end, I don't really give a rat's furry little behind what people choose to call themselves - unless they're using it in the marketing or advertising to mislead prospective clients about their credentials or their work. Unfortunately, quite a lot of people use that term in a misleading manner here in the BST section, attempting to represent a level of quality they simply cannot provide.

jhmattern, May 24, 2009 IP
  16. Gavenecko

Gavenecko Member

Best Answers:
    As a writer, its extremely frustrating to find a reliable client that can both work with me AND offer information. So many clients that commission me for work give me a subject and disappear until its time to hand over articles. Then some have the nerve to complain when they did not answer my questions in the first place.

I offer low rates for content that I can complete easily. If its something I ENJOY writing, I'm not charging an arm and a leg. For serious content, I prefer higher rates and a dedicated client that knows what he or she wants in their article.

Gavenecko, May 26, 2009 IP
  17. Meck Richard

Meck Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,I agree with you .
    your provided information is very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot.

Meck Richard, May 27, 2009 IP
  18. neoloves?

neoloves? Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just noticed that I’ve been mentioned earlier in the thread. I too have something to say.

As a writer I thank my regular clients but during days when I find very few offers, I’m literally forced to scream, and almost feel jobless because regular clients usually have limited work that’s not enough to take me through every month. I found another thread that was discussing the spate of so called quality writers, prices on offer, and related aspects that are quite frustrating. This is what I had to say, and I’m just using Ctrl + v now.

I completely agree with the fact that many new writers do write their thread in a hurry and misspell words, put incorrect punctuations, misrepresent their thread, and employ incorrect capitalization.

I don’t know who can be termed as a writer. Most people I believe have had basic education and can write stuff, even if it didn’t look too specific or professional because at the end of the day no one can be termed as the perfect health or legal writer unless they are a professional in the field. This is my assumption based on limitations I face when writing. The only reason I have survived here is because I too have been educated in an English medium school (we do have schools that employ vernacular languages as a medium of education).

The confusion over English being a writer’s first language is contentious. I am an Indian but if I wish I could actually sing along those lines. This is because if you study in an English medium school, your report cards and school leaving certificate mentions it as your first language. It’s not anybody’s fault but since it’s all about playing with words, I think it’s acceptable. I’ve certainly never had to give clarifications regarding how I know English because I have also referred to it as my primary language. I’m certain that I haven’t jeopardized any assignment because I wasn’t born elsewhere.
    In regards to price, we as individuals don’t govern market trends. A lot of things don’t make sense because each of us has a different perspective to things. This is a forum where you can work for 3 cents a word and even $2.50 for 500 words. I have even worked for the low rates mentioned, and hated every minute of it.

It’s simply a matter of market demand, and how far you’re willing to go to ensure that you have a job. For many people, it’s just a part time activity because they can act as middlemen and make some money. For most people, the dollar has a different meaning, only because we belong to different countries. I am purely a freelancer, and if the market’s going through downtime because of recession, I have no choice but to offer discounts because if I don’t, there are many others who will, and take the jobs available. Each of us will always have a few steady clients but that may not always be enough. Instead of just sitting tight on my rates, I’d rather try and acquire a job to make my time productive.

I’ve come to realize a few things. There are times when I may break my back but I won’t get a job because I’m not a native English speaking individual. Do I get angry? Yes. Can I do anything about it? No. This is not true with all clients but does happen. However, I still maintain I’m Indian and am in no way going down and under because of my non native status English knowledge.

At the end of the day, there’s many deals waiting to happen and with the right approach anyone of us could bag a particular assignment. As of now, terms like quality, cheap, native, discount, experienced, bulk, and the likes, are simply words that need to be put in perspective for a majority of writers who are not yet true professionals and honestly knowledgeable. It’s very easy to read something, and create an original article and a totally different ballgame if you understand each written word.

neoloves?, May 27, 2009 IP
  19. SunstarShop

SunstarShop Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't hired writer to wirte article for me, i write it myself though maybe not so professional!

SunstarShop, May 27, 2009 IP
  20. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want this to sound mean, but if a client isn't willing to invest more than .02 per word on a project, then it's more than possible that they aren't going to care enough to invest time into answering your questions. It sounds like you need to rethink your marketing and branding and start finding "real" clients.

Think about it this way, if you have a convenience store and people come in barefoot to buy $1.25 bags of Funions, they are not clients, they are customers. If you own a high end bakery or catering service in which you sit down with clients over several meetings and design their special event cakes, have tastings, ask them questions about their menus and charge upwards of $50 per plate, you have clients.

People who want a quick 500 word article for $10 are not clients. They are customers. They should be treated well if that $10 is all you asked for, their job should be done right and on time, but I would not expect them to develop a give-and-take relationship with you. Also, for that amount of money, I wouldn't think you could afford to have them take up any more of your time.

If they are upset about your article and you feel that's their fault for not answering your questions, that is perfectly reasonable--so how about instituting a policy that states you won't write until they answer your questionnaire? Most of us have these questionnaires--it's perfectly reasonable in a serious business relationship to do so. Of course, I think you'll find that the customers you attract at that rate, for the most part, won't want to invest that much time in anything.

This business is really all about finding the type of clients you want to work with. I have clients that I have worked with for long enough that they can just request a quick article with very little input--because we are past that stage. For new clients, the way they respond to my questionnaire and 3 page proposal is as much a test for them as it is a way for me to win their business. I don't want to work with anyone who just wants to throw assignments at me and doesn't value my work or what it does for their business--no matter how much they pay. Now, that doesn't mean we have to develop a codependent relationship and I won't make a move without consulting them, it just means that they have to value my work and put some time in to the beginning of the collaboration by answering the questionnaire, reviewing my subsequent proposal and sometimes speaking on the dreaded telephone.

Y.L. Prinzel, May 27, 2009 IP