1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why I don't Submit to Most Free Directories on DP...QBC in Action

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jg123, Jun 12, 2007.

If I see folks advertising free directories with PR I almost never bother submitting anymore unless they are trusted members. Here is why:

Most of these directories are on dropped domains and the buyer is just trying to build up traffic and dupe a few people into buying featured and/or monthly links so they can sell the directories at a huge profit.

Here is a prime example:

http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/auction/9162

Expenses:

3 dropped PR4 domains = $45
    3 x free phpld v2.1 scripts = $0
    3 x shared hosting (or free) = $0-$5
    3 x threads announcing = $0
    purchasing a sales thread on SP =$20

Total cost $65

Revenue

A few folks duped into buying featured links = $45
    A few folks duped into buying monthly links = $40
    Selling the sites as "established directories" = $400

Total revenue = $485
    Total profit = $420

Damage to directory industry as a whole = priceless, because everyone that bought a featured link got screwed, everyone that bought a site-wide got screwed, the people that wasted time submitting to the directory got screwed and last of all the new owner when he realises he could have got the same thing for $45 instead of $400 got screwed.

jg123, Jun 12, 2007 IP
    pipes and onlinedude like this.
  2. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your title is a bit misleading, what you describe aren't free but paid directories. But I do agree with what I think is your main point: don't buy links just on any directory. Do your research, how old is the domain, is it likely to stay up? etc. Don't pay unless you have good evidence the site will stay live.

kh7, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  3. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The directories are free for regular submission, that is how they pad the traffic numbers to make it appear to be established.

jg123, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  4. YIAM

YIAM Notable Member

Best Answers:
    YIAM, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  5. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There'll always be money-whores chasing the quick buck but there are also other good people out there building a business. Decided which is which takes a bit of time but is well worth it I think.

qazu, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  6. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    The violence of the Quick Buck Crew lately is overwhelming, I simple don't submit to free or banana price directories unless i know the owner.

! Ask !, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  7. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are so many dropped domains around it is sickening.
    A few days ago I've made a post wanting to purchase some links. Half of the offers I got were for dropped domains with "high PR".
    I just wished I could have done something other than sending a reply with harsh words and hoping they won't scam someone else.

These members should be banned, no questions asked.

Velocity, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  8. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it’s only a problem when the owner doesn’t have the intention of promoting.

! Ask !, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm glad your title said most free directories. My free niche directory is approaching it's first year aniversary. Unique template, unique concept, uncommon categories - hardly a QBC.

I am days from launching another niche directory and it too will allow free submissions - if you were to count the many hours I've already spent designing the templates and setting up the categories $485 wouldn't even be close to breaking even. Again, hardly a QBC.

I am wondering what is this attack on free directories the past few days. Both free and paid directories have their uses and I have seen many paid only directories that I wouldn't submit to even if they were free.

Please don't assume and lump all free directories into one category - there are many of us running free directories that are far from being QBCs in quality or longevity. Just as there are quite a few paid directories that are not worth the file space they occupy.

YMC, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  10. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with that in general, but the owner must mention that the directory is on an expired domain.

The owner also should provide a detail promotion plan for the directory as well because starting a directory on an expired domain already gives a negative impression to others.

coolsitez, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  11. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's unfortunate that some are willing to buy a web site based on statistics from such a short period of time.

CReed, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  12. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand this, and I do check backlinks of every single site I submit to.
    These had 0 backlinks in Google and none or 1-2 in Yahoo, so owners were obviously not promoting but trying to cash in on PR that will expire on the next update.

Velocity, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "I tend to agree with that in general, but the owner must mention that the directory is on an expired domain." - I don't have a problem with all 'dropped domains' as long as the owner is honest about it but that is not the case in 99% of the ads I have seen. Especially when the domain is viennaparty2001.net or something equally as silly.

jg123, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  14. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think yahoo backlinks are more important than google backlinks in checking the validity of a directory. New directories arent going to have many backlinks showing in google but if if they have many in yahoo its a good sign. Plus if they are free you have nothing to lose in submitting to any of them. Alot will get dropped but some might actually become established directories later.

As far as paid directories, its best to check alexa rankings, but remember people legitimiate directory owners need to also pay for expenses they incure.

pingpong123, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  15. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, I agree. Quite sad actually, as they think it's the real deal. I'm sure I've done it before..

I don't mind submitting to free directories which are dropped names, but I find it quite annoying when they charge for submission. I mean, they could atleast wait untill PR update clears over so it doesn't look as shifty lol... :rolleyes:

terryuk, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  16. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Honesty, Integrity, Transparency all values that must apply to Directories :)

However these values are not in the
    The 'Quick Buck Crew' Directory Experts Guide
    The only value they care about is how many dollars they can screw out of anyone, anytime:eek:

britishguy, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just to re-inforce the difference between Free directories and paid directories --
    I am giving here a list of formerly PR5 free directories that I often used. Few days back I was shocked:eek::eek: as many of them dropped thei PR by huge margin and some became PR0:eek:

Google is not looking at these free directories kindly --So I have stopped submitting my sites in free directories.

Well -- I might get very few links --but the links would be quality and the new age Google is emphasising more on quality than quantity. -- To me there is no more use of numbers --( you might get some high quality free diretories like the Authority Abilogic here too)

@ OP-- I never submit to those dropped domain directories -if I don't know the person. Rep for you --as you said what I have been planning to say for some time.

1. www.777media.com

2. addyoursitefreesubmit.com/

3. aardvarkbusiness.net

4. Abilogic.com

5. funender.com

6. apexoo.com

7. bestbusinessdirectory.com

8. network-room.com

9. cyborginfo.com

10. data-spain.com

11. dhundo.com

12. dirdir.info/ became PR0

13. dir-submission.com

14. directory.portalit.net

15. directory-free.com

16. directoryforce.com

17. dir.ukwizz.com

18. http://josh.nu/

18. dxpnet.com/riot/

20. eurofind.biz

21. free-website-directory.com

22. top100vbulletin.com

23. gandalfdir.com

24. searchenginedev.com

25. infotiger.com

26. www.itzalist.com/

27. ldmstudio.com

28. jamjaa.com

29. freewebsubmission.com

30. listingsca.com

31. londinium.com

32. megri.com/

33. my-india.net

34. onebigindex.com

35. pedsters-planet.co.uk

36. http://www.axxasearch.com

37. www.pleaseretrieve.com/

39. resourcehelp.com

40. search4i.com

41. SearchSight.com

42 http://71k.net/

43 searchtheweb.com/

44. searchwarp.com/

45. singaporedirectory1.com

46. skoobe.biz

47. www.all-links.info

48 sgtsearch.com

49 shoula.com

50. submiturlhere.com

51. surfsafely.com

52. thetopsites.net

53. tsection.com

54 url.biz

55. www.red-links.com

56. zeezo.com

57. links4rank.com

58. elitezone.org/directory/

59. consultant-directory.com

60. uudir.com

61. http://www.abcsubmission.com

62. www.blitzfind.net/

jhnrang, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  18. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    indeed u r very right ... i never submit to those and if i do ... only regular listings no paid ones

smub, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you are correct...

unfortunitly some people just dont get it as this is what they are about and the only way they know of how to make a buck :(

Rather then invest for 1-2 years they are more interested making a few dollars today and burn people on the way out the door....

Well within the next few short months you will see that most of these owners will not be around as the web directory will have No choice but to be more then just a "link drop" and be able to offer all the new technology that google will be demanding to take websites within to the next level of their new algo. ;)

No thier wont be any FREE mods to help either :p

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jhnrang are all those directories in your list PR0 right now? Some of them have been around a long time, I am going to double check some of them now. I am quite shocked if that is the case.

Abilogic.com PR5
    searchwarp.com PR5
    network-room.com PR4
    SearchSight.com PR5

Mmmm, these are just the first 4 I checked, maybe your page rank checking tool is broken.

Here is another link to a QBC scammer bragging about how he sold 'one' featured link on DP" http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/auction/9180#comment70487

jg123, Jun 12, 2007 IP