1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why http://feedproxy.google.com Coming in Search Result

Discussion in 'Google' started by sunil_gupta20801, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi Guys,

I just noticed that every post from Mashable site is coming in search result as well as the same post coming in top of search result via feedproxy.google

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Mashable/~3/9jyfRMKWdJg/

Why this result is coming in Google? it's just a redirection to original post and if its coming in Google result. Why not results from my blog feeds are coming ?

Why only Mashable? I did not see it for any other site.

sunil_gupta20801, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  2. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    This has to do with Feedburner (now a Google company) and Adsense working together to put advertising inside of site feeds. If you have an Adsense account and select that you want to show Adsense for Feeds, an account is set up for you with Feedburner that redirects URL's to feedproxy.google.com from atom and/or rss feeds on your site. Feedburner is also suggesting that people redirect the live rss files directly to these new pages for tracking purposes. Right now however, there are many bugs with this system and feedproxy.google.com is timing out several times per day or giving 500 errors at high peak times. Also, the last time I checked the sub domain feedproxy.google.com was blocked from all crawling via their robots.txt file. There are many things to consider before forwarding your rss or atom files away from your your site and sending them to feedproxy.google.com instead.

markhutch, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  3. sunil_gupta20801

sunil_gupta20801 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think i did that already. Adsense for feeds, but why only this site appears on search result. I have not seen any other site. Every post of this site ranks as well as the feedproxy redirect URL also ranks.

4. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    More than likely this site did an automatic redirect of their rss/atom feed directly to the feedproxy.google.com site instead of hosting it themselves. I also did that for a few days and decided to change it back on my main blog site. I just checked Google and the result you are talking about is showing up in the number three position on Google if you search the name of the first site on my DP signature below on Google. Like the other site you mentioned in your post, the link to my site is also an exact redirect of my index page. I am at a loss about this one because feedproxy.google.com is blocked via robots.txt, but since Google owns the site and search engine they may be ignoring the robots.txt file at this time on the feedproxy sub domain... Who knows?

5. sunil_gupta20801

sunil_gupta20801 Active Member

Best Answers:
    But i feel that is should not happen. Feed of a site should never come into search result untill its published again somewhere else. If Google is doing so then its really bad thing. Same post is ranking twice on same page in Google, Is it a sign of Good search result? For me, it's really bad.

6. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it should not happen, but it does. These things tend to work themselves out over time. Just be patient and soon this new glitch will work itself out just like all the other issues we have seen over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.