1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why having a long review queue is a good thing

Discussion in 'Directories' started by just-4-teens, Apr 19, 2006.

I used to think oh crap ive got 1000 submissions to review that date back to 2 months ago (date when submitted) but this is also a good thing because;

1] If its a new site (with a good owner), by the time u get to review it, it should be partly established .
    2] If its a new site (where owner is likely 2 quit) by the time you review it, it would of disapeared.
    3] If its a spam/made for adsense site that never takes of, by the time you review it, it most probally has disapeared from the face of the earth anyway.

just-4-teens, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  2. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problems start at number 4! :)

uca, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  3. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    (4) Submitters start re-submitting because they assume you rejected them or they forget they ever even submitted, since it's been so long.
    (5) Submitters start to recognize it takes way too long to get listed and stop visiting your site or submitting their sites.
    (6) The popular directory promotion lists on the Internet drop your site because you are too slow.
    (7) Your queue is so big that you can't take the proper time to review each site, thus allowing weaker sites in or deleting sites that deserved a listing.
    (8) You eventually get a log so big you can't even begin to clear your queue, thus leaving another (of many) dead directories on the web.

EveryQuery, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  4. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although 1000 submissions sounds like some good promotion of the directory going on!

uca, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  5. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but:

(9) People sort of expect you to have a long review queue. I get this impression from all of the half-finished efforts, particularly forums, that I see. Webmasters are assuming they have time to make improvements and add more content, rather than submitting the mature site when it has the best chance of a listing.

Obelia, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  6. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    TBH the directory is only promoted on here, and on sites that have added it to their directory lists.

When u only have time to review 10 submissions a day (at most) and you have 20+ coming in, it easily builds up, however it does give u something to do on a rainy day when your bored haha

7. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm, /me looks forward to the day when he is receiving that many submissions. Right now I'm at about 100/week and I'm in the process of still promoting.

cldnails, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  8. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i have a 4 page thread here for my directory, just create a thread promoting ur new directory, most people will say - submitted thanks

after a while your thread will die down, but instead of creating a new thread about your directory (so u update pr or whatever) use the one u already have.

create a unique template for your directory, and create plenty of sub-cats so that sites are sorted properly and web directories are not just being dumped in the internet category etc

9. simplexity

simplexity Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, sometimes I view sites which are less then a month old and they are already down. Or they have been converted to pay per click traffic pages which I find v.annoying.

simplexity, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  10. cldnails

Best Answers:
    cldnails, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  11. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    just a warning u should put a clear border between images and google ads!!

just-4-teens, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  12. leroybrown

leroybrown Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by a clear border?

May be unrelated but i want to ask anyway. Is it ok to have an image directly ABOVE an adsense block? I dont want to anger Mr. Google. I need him more than he needs me, that's for sure.

leroybrown, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  13. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    aslong as there is a clear border between the ads n images, ie there is space

14. cldnails

Best Answers:
    done.

And my que is slowly building. However, I do have the time to go through submissions so it has yet to get out of control.

cldnails, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  15. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    mine hit me @ christmas/new year time, i was busy with other things, however the submissions did not stop. Im currently reviewing sites from mid-feb

16. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fast review make your site pop. I review any site within 2 hrs of submission if it's not night.

kausik, Apr 22, 2006 IP