1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why have my CPC plummeted?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by rjhere, May 1, 2005.

My CPC's dropped by 50% a week ago and have remained this way..My traffic is going up and my revenue going down. Does "smart pricing" kick in differently for different sites? Could my site have been "smart priced" down? I have been running adsense on this site since last November and this is the first major change in cpc's.

I have seen fluctuations like this with rebounds happening quickly (within days). But this seems as if its permenent. That means I need to double my traffic just to bring in the same revenue.

rjhere, May 1, 2005 IP
  2. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is strange, my cpc and earnings have rose steadily this month. I really see it has risen since the 1st to the last day, a nice increase. Ive been with adsense since Christmas, and my clicks and revenue has increased every month so far. And like i said the month just ended, April had a nice increase over all the past months.

bluegill_catcher, May 1, 2005 IP
  3. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on the niche.. it looks like google adsense is devalueing my sites through its smart pricing algo's... It's a high converting site with my affiliate links so I would guess it's high converting to adsense advertisers.. I am so sick of google and will by running, not walking, to yahoo when they release thier service..

rjhere, May 1, 2005 IP
  4. jeremyalyea

jeremyalyea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck with yahoo. I hope it is good as well. But there are a million companies trying to copy adsense and none of them are even close in my experience.

jeremyalyea, May 1, 2005 IP
  5. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    None of them are a multibillion dollar company that has one competitor in mind.

Yahoo! isn't just another company out to "copy" adsense...and I sure hope they do a few things different...i'll be running to them when they come out.

I'm tired of getting 10% from google

AfterHim.com, May 1, 2005 IP
  6. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I wouldn't run to something I have no idea of. Just because yahoo is a new comer to the market doesn't mean they'll be any better than Google. This is not saying they won't be a better alternative.

My guess would be that Google will horde enough earnings for themselves as long as they can until MSN and Yahoo unveil their products. Once their products hit the market, Google will make an announcement that publishers will be getting a larger affiliate percentage in order to keep more people into their network.

Infiniterb, May 1, 2005 IP
  7. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    Google will have to give larger percentages... But IMO it's too little too late. . Notice that in the last few months, they finally added things such as real time channel tracking and eft payments.. Do you think they did this out of the kindness of their hearts? No... they did this on the heels of Yahoos press release to enter the content ppc market. They basically treated us publishers like **** until they were forced not too (due to compitition coming in). And that is the reason they will lose my business.

My guess is that Yahoo will not enter this market to lose. They will know what it will take to get people to switch. If they offer the close, same, or better incentives than google does, then I will flock to yahoo and hope many more will do the same. I'm tired of living under Google's tyranny of the web. Even if Google counters and improves earnings I will know in my heart that they if they beat out yahoo they will revert to the same practices.

I have no doubt that Yahoo will release a better product for us publishers. I think this is a MUST for any business model trying to break into a monopoly. And yes, google's adsense is a monopoly due to the fact they are the only "reputable" ppc provider. The other ones may be good but don't have the reputation google has and thus do not bring in the high paying advertisers. I just wanted to make this point to counter people that would say I could always use kanoodle or other not so reputable ppc providers.

I am sick of the games they are playing. Yahoo, if you are reading, I say bring it on. I will be the first to sign up. :)

rjhere, May 2, 2005 IP
    SHT likes this.
  8. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, no one enters any market to lose. That's just bad business. When it all boils down to it, most publishers will go to whoever pays out the most. That's it. If Yahoo gives a larger chunk of the pie, people will flock to them in droves. If they give less than Google, people will stay with Google.

You just have to realize that an early adopter to Yahoo or MSN's new service may not see the direct benefits straight away, and it might be wise to wait a bit before more advertisers are on board.

Infiniterb, May 2, 2005 IP