1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Google Don't Use Paypal?

Discussion in 'Payments' started by PinoyIto, Feb 8, 2005.

1. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why Google can't pay people in their local currency as well - they have offices in the UK, why can't they pay direct to my bank account in sterling instead of giving me a cheque in dollars (which I then have to *pay* to cash)? Amazon and Tradedoubler will both pay me directly into my account via BACS and for only £25 not $100. Last time I got a cheque from Google it was so much messing around to actually get it paid in (not really Google's fault, more that UK banks suck - but Google knows this) that it was hardly worth it.

pwaring, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  2. flyered

flyered Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a Canadian now living in Germany, it's really strange to see the German bank system. They have a seperate ATM/Bank Machine in every ATM lobby that only prints out your bank receipt. Germans love nothing more than soccer, beer, and printing out their stupid receipts.. for what reason? Who knows?

In Canada our damn statements come in the mail, and you can also choose to save a tree (and $2.50/m) and have it internet only.

As well, in Canada, all transactions show up instantly on the bank web site. With the main German bank, I get embarasssed time and time again at stores and such because the amount of funds shown in my web account is different than what'S there in actuality.

It's schizophrenic; Europeans are very big on bank transfers instead of checks, however from what i've seen, the bank backend systems are less advanced than North American banks.

Perhaps this is the problem Google has encountered.. I know I hate the German banks already, they give me a problem with ever little detail and their service sucks, taking a trip back to Canada and depositing a check was like a breath of fresh air (not just because of the absence of cigarettes). </vent>

flyered, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  3. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why Paypal? It would be nice if Google do direct deposit.

pg20706, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  4. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You pay to have statements sent to you?! We don't save anything over here for not having statements mailed to us, and I think it's part of the Banking Code that you get statements once a year at least, plus whenever you're overdrawn/charged.

So does pretty much every major bank in the UK. The only transactions that don't show up immediately are card payments (as in when you've used your debit card to buy something in a store), but it does show your amount available to spend so you would never think you had more money than you did.

Bank transfers are generally faster and of course you avoid the hassle/queues in the bank. They take 4 days to clear in some countries (like the UK), but that's because the banks won't update their systems to do it faster because it would cost them money. Oh and it's *cheques* damnit!

pwaring, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  5. flyered

flyered Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah I've given up, I was raised using 'cheques' as well, but when I figure that i'm talking to mostly Americans I use 'checks' to avoid confusing 'em. :p

flyered, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  6. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, flyered...

Ppl print out their bank receipts to see their cash balance ;)

And yes, as you already said, it's no problem to get them by mail every month. That you bank charges you for the post office costs... Well, it's strange. Depends on the bank, I think. There are many banks, which don't want money for sending the receipts.

And yes, you can even go to the bank and tell them you want everything online. No mailed receipts, no Bank Machine for printing them, just the web.

So, where's the problem? ;)

Hijacker, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  7. flyered

flyered Peon

Best Answers:
    A proper bank machine tells you your balance if you want it. :)

2 sets of machines in every lobby means more expenses for the clients due to maintanence costs.. etc. It's just funny as I don't remember ever having a burning urge to run off the street and know my bank balance, without doing some sort of actual withdrawal/deposit as well.

Maybe Google asked the Postbank about setting up deposits for German Adsense publishers and the Postbank proposed sending them a TAN booklet with 3 billion codes? :)

flyered, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    lol ;)

Well, in this point you are right - maintenance just costs the customer, right.
    But at least the bigger "Volksbanken und Raiffeisenbanken" branches have those deposit machines, where you can check your balance.

But they anyways have the balance-only machines in the lobby, so it's indeed dumb.

Hum, this makes me think, now. German banks are dumb! :)

Hijacker, Feb 11, 2005 IP