1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why google analytics not showing Ip Address?

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by i_am_dhaval, Jul 13, 2009.

why google analytics not showing Ip Address?

i_am_dhaval, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  2. ColeenB

ColeenB Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't expect it to show the ip addresses of your visitors, do you? I think that would be a privacy violation.

ColeenB, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  3. i_am_dhaval

i_am_dhaval Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i_am_dhaval, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a security and a privacy issue. If you had ip addresses you start running port probes to see if their computer was open to attacks and you can sometimes trace the IP address back to the city where the person lives. Once you have that information, you could start doing geo targeted phishing scams to see if you could get information out of them.

Lets say that you had their ip address and email address. There is a chance you could track them back to a small town that only has 1 or 2 banks. You could setup a phishing site, send them an email and make it look like one of those banks. They log into what they "think" is their bank and you now have their account information.

Because geographical phishing is more successful then general phishing scams, its important that certain information not be disclosed.

And by showing the ip address, stacounter shows that it does not care about peoples privacy.

~kev~, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  5. bpokosh

bpokosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Regarding privacy issues, if you own the site then you've got web server logs that have the IP addresses anyways. That said, I'm not really surprised that Google wouldn't include that in Analytics.

bpokosh, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  6. anoopgrg

anoopgrg Peon

Best Answers:
    Through Google analytics also, i think we can trace ip address but it is against google terms and privacy conditions. So, no need to use it as it is really private....

anoopgrg, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  7. lakkineni

lakkineni Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Ip address is available in Google analytics, But you wouldn't want try to find this! It's strictly against their T&C and your Google analytics account will be closed if you do it!!

lakkineni, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  8. 2010Man

2010Man Peon

Best Answers:
    There is now a solution to this issue, a way to see IP addresses of individual visitors.

Its a free application called footprintlive - you can read about it in this posting:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1647925

2010Man, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  9. Jenny23

Jenny23 Peon

Best Answers:
    nice tool but it will not allow you to use it together with analytics right?

It could be useful to track individual visitors in combination with analytics goals for example

Jenny23, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  10. 2010Man

2010Man Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Jenny,

Correct, you cannot use the two tools in the same screen / interface, however they both present identical information. Maybe the developers will think of a way to integrate the two with Google's API.

However in theory you have two sets of identical information, because both systems register all visitors by exact time of clicks. The advantage here with footprintlive is that you can see the IP address along with other details you can use to keep track of visitors, that of course along with their clickpaths / clickstreams.

The way both technologies work, a timestamp (to the millisecond) is used along with a cookie. In other words whenever somebody requests a page from the server where the website lives, signals are sent to both Google Analytics and to Footprintlive. The signals are a series of clicks (a clickstream) which is visually displayed in Footprintlive.

In other words the best solution would be to find the same visitors by timestamp or referrer, etc. The point is that you will be able to find the same individual systems. The drawback is that it is not automated. In an ideal world, everything would be automated.

2010Statman

2010Man, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  11. 2010Man

2010Man Peon

Best Answers:
    Several problems with this scenario;

1. That's not how the technology works - the geo-ip technology gives you the physical address of the registered owner of the IP address. In the vast vast majority of cases, this is an ISP which owns many IP addresses. In other words you are not seeing the actual physical location of the individual visitor but of the region from which they are accessing the internet.

2. Additionally, the technology used to collect information gets the information from browsers. In other words no email addresses are included. That's why you generally only get email from places where you login and provide your email address, not from random sites you surfed to.

2010Man, Jan 12, 2010 IP