1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why don't Link sellers link to some sites / directories?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Dominic, Jul 19, 2004.

I noticed on a site that lists websites selling text links that some of them say

"No directories/affiliate/PR0/GreyBar links will be considered."

Is there any sane reasoning behind why they don't link to those sites?

Expecially directories, I don't get that one?

Dominic, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I understand, many feel that PR0 links will do them little, if any good. They want to have sites that have PR4 or better (the higher the better). They feel that will help bring up PR and give more value.
    They also believe it helps if your link is on a page with not as many other links, which is why they might put no directories.

On the other hand, we find that getting inbound links, other than link farms, is a good thing. Even PR0 sites can grow and become higher ranking later. Also, PR0 is usually ranking between a 0 and 1 which means it still holds some value. We find this to be true except when a site has been devalued (e.g. links from a Link Farm for the most part with very few "offsetting" links elsewhere).

Hope this helps.

North Carolina SEO, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  3. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must not have been clear enough in my post...

These are pr8 sites selling links that say they won't link to sites which are:

• directories
    • affiliate
    • PR0
    • GreyBar

Dominic, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  4. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not knowing the exact specifics to which PR8 sites, I'm going to speak in more general terms. Some site masters feel that giving a link from a higher ranking site to a lower level site causes PR loss from the giver (to some degree). Having a link, even a paid link, could therefore cause an even greater degree of loss when linking to a PR0 website (e.g. 0, greybar, etc.). Also, there are a number of places that will not link or allow membership to your site if you have affiliate links on the page (ex. some of the SEO organizations). This doesn't even get into the issue of having any part of Link Farms.

Realize, much of this is based on the assumption of PR loss for outbound linkage. IMHO. :cool:

North Carolina SEO, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    People often forget the importance of OUTBOUND linking.

If these PR8 sites were to link out to a site that were PR0 (or grey bar for that matter) there is a much greater chance that those sites have been previously been penalised by google - whether it be for spamming or whatever.

In linking out to those sites, Google could interpret that as those sites being in some way affiliated* with the penalised sites. That could have repurcussions on them in terms of Google's view of their site and why exactly there might be an affiliation* there.

*I use the term affiliate, in the loosest sense.

SE

SEbasic, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  6. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    For the PR0 and greybar sites, I would think this is about the fear of linking to "bad neighborhoods", and the possibility of being penalized for this.

A link can be seen as an endorsement, so it makes sense to me that well established sites with a high PR would be hesitant to link to sites that might be considered poor quality and/or a possible risk for their own site rankings.

:) Geir

Geir, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  7. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Any reason for no links to directories - this one doesn't make sense to me?

Dominic, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  8. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    Was checking the terms for an Ad network earlier and came accross this - Sites we don't accept: Link Directories, Affiliates. Which broadly terms sites without any original/unique content.

gooner, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    It does seem odd that they won't link to a directory.

Have you asked them why?

SEbasic, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  10. Dominic

Best Answers:
    No, I haven't but it seems weird. Must just be one of those spooky things some people believe in without logical basis.

Dominic, Jul 22, 2004 IP