1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why domain names are so hard to find.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Ladd13610000, Nov 22, 2014.

I feel it greed and all these domain brokers and reseller. I can't see paying for name notbeing used for hundreds or even thousand of dollars. startup companies can't afford this crap and greed.

look at this post sent to me:

Finding a good domain name is hard because they are for the most part all taken. What I do is create a spreadsheet and brainstorm name ideas, typing anything into the spreadsheet that comes to mind. Then I run the domain names (50 at a time) through the Namecheap bulk domain checker, see which ones are not taken, then narrow down my list by either choosing one of them or a variation of something that is available.
    Last year I came up with a list of over 800 domain name ideas. Most were taken. I ended up registering 5 out of my 800 ideas.

only 5 names out 800 crazy and he went through a lot work to find them. Most people done't even no how to do what we sent me or have the time. some of the name i seem picked are not even that good.

crazy just my opinion
    Michael Ladd

like your thoughts on this post PM me please.

Ladd13610000, Nov 22, 2014 IP
  2. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm willing to pay for the exact match .com for a niche. It gives your site instant credibility as well as a slight advantage in the search results. But you're right, prices are getting insane, especially in competitive niches. I spent 5K on a domain this year, but it's priceless to me. Plus, this is an emerging 100M a year industry that's in it's infancy, so I know the value will only go up.

Travis Lane, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  3. msjaved

msjaved Member

Best Answers:
    It is a very time consuming process. And in the end, all the good domain names are already taken.

A better option is to search for expired domain names. Or to buy domain names from people who actually are not in domain flipping business. Since they dont have the contacts to sell the domain name to the right people, they will willingly sell you domain names at a fair price.

This is what domain flippers usually do.

msjaved, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Isn't your "friend" just the same as the people you complain about - is he actively using those 5 domains or are they just MFA crap sites?

sarahk, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  5. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I remember right, 20 billions websites worldwide, so indeed looooooooads of domain are taken, yet I can see some keyword match domain names being used by huge companies nowadays like getanumbrellawhenitrains.com

IG2010, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's also a rebellion against cybersquatters, sorry domainers, who have bought up the domains that use their brandname. They have the marketing budget to make a long domain name like that work.

Our national airline uses grabaseat for their discount services. It bears no relation to their brand but with marketing clout they can drive market awareness and traffic.

sarahk, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  7. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    indeed, Leclerc supermaket in france use, quiestlemoinscher.fr (whoisthecheapest)

IG2010, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone that doesnt have their own portfolio of domains will absolutely hate people that have them.
    No doubt, people hate me for some of the domains that I own...

What I really hate is I have one site that I cannot find a great name for. Its currently running under a dreadful .org and over a period of 12months or longer, I have been on and off searching for the right name. Even looking for bad options, (like things written in latin) are taken, and while I dont always go to the negotiation table, in a number of cases, where I have inquired over a dreadful .com is usually $5k. The price is completely unrealistic.

Whats really sad, is when I see domains, that OMG, I have the most amazing idea for, and when I see it taken, I think, wow, lets visit the site and there will be something amazing that matches the domain.... and most of the times, its just got a "for sale" sign. Its just disappointing. I have no issues with great amazing names being used, its just sad when its only used to host a "for sale" sign.

matt_62, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  9. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No offense, but I don't think it's quite that high. Nobody really has an accurate number. The highest estimates I've heard we around 600M in 2010. So let's say a billion now, just to be safe.

Travis Lane, Nov 23, 2014 IP
    IG2010 and topcoder like this.
  10. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IG2010, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  11. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    You are very right that it would be expensive and some are selling domain names for quite a price. But you can use a keyword tool to identify what would be best for your future domain.

usemyteam, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  12. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When searching for a quality domain, what search criteria do you look for. (eg. DA, TF, PR, etc. ?)

Travis Lane, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  13. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The domain name game is crazy. Not only people will buy all the .com's, they'll also gobble up the .net's and .org's just so nobody won't steal their traffic.

ceenote100, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  14. Ladd13610000

Ladd13610000 Member

Best Answers:
    greed and crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad

Ladd13610000, Nov 26, 2014 IP
  15. Ladd13610000

Ladd13610000 Member

Best Answers:
    greed and crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad

Ladd13610000, Nov 26, 2014 IP
  16. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I know in our case, we bought the .com, .net, .org and other variations of our (singular, plural, words swapped, etc.) not out of greed but to limit competition and to protect our brand.

Travis Lane, Nov 26, 2014 IP
  17. Ladd13610000

Ladd13610000 Member

Best Answers:
    WHATEVER SAME THING. GREED. GUESS YOUR SCARED OF COMPETITION. PATHETIC AND SAD.

Ladd13610000, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  18. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Quite the opposite. It's actually the competition who's scared. As a matter of fact, they've tried to buy me out simply to obtain the domain. Guess they didn't realize that 5K (which is what I paid for it a year ago) was a small drop in the bucket for the best EMD in an emerging 100M a year industry. :)

Travis Lane, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  19. Ladd13610000

Ladd13610000 Member

Best Answers:
    i think that crazy paying $5000 for domain name and people buying names to just to limit competition and to protect there brand.
    so i guess you can't hardly get a good domain name anymore unless your rich or have lot money buy from greedy domain brokers

sad
    Michael Ladd

Ladd13610000, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  20. Travis Lane

Travis Lane Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, I assure you I'm not rich, but I'm smart enough to realize a good investment when one comes along. You can still find great expired domains. I bought a killer two word .net EMD through Godaddy auctions yesterday for $40. They're still out there, you just have to be patient for a good one to come along.

Travis Lane, Nov 27, 2014 IP