1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why doesn't this query work?

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by Tony Brar, Jul 28, 2013.

Hi DP,

On my website I have a SQL query that seems to be causing an error:​
    SELECT content_url,icon_url,content_type,title,shortdesc,desc,rating,date,views,downloadable FROM content WHERE content_id=1
    Code (markup):
    It causes this error:​
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc,rating,date,views,downloadable FROM content WHERE content_id=1' at line 1' in /home/content/42/9125042/html/contentpage.php:20 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/42/9125042/html/contentpage.php(20): PDO->query('SELECT content_...') #1 {main} thrown in /home/content/42/9125042/html/contentpage.php on line 20
    Here is the code around it (PHP):​
    [​IMG]
    What's causing the error in my code?​
    Thanks,​
    -Tony​

Tony Brar, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  2. GORF

GORF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there actually an entry that has content_id of 1?

Try spaces ... WHERE content_id = 1
    Try quotes, single-quotes or bacticks ... WHERE content_id = '1'

If you are selecting most or all of the fields from the table, use * for all:
    SELECT * FROM content WHERE content_id = 1

GORF, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    $sql = SELECT `content_url`, `icon_url`, `content_type`, `title`, `shortdesc`, `desc`, `rating`, `date`, `views`,`downloadable`
    FROM `content`
    WHERE `content_id`='1'";
    Code (markup):
    I've shown how it looks with the backticks - in particular I'd be concerned about the column `desc`, there's no need to have shortened column names - I'd recommend renaming it to description.

The next step after making those changes, if the problem persists, is to cut and paste the query into phpMyAdmin and see if you get a more useful error message.

sarahk, Jul 28, 2013 IP