1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why does data recovery cost so much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tony Serek, Feb 22, 2018.

So recently my school hdd decided to go kayak and started clicking. I looked for data recovery place right away and the first once I found quoted me $1500 or higher. I thought maybe they are just trying to milk me for $$ so I tried another place and another, and all of them were quoting me the same thing or higher. Does it actually cost as much? What am I missing here? I can buy 10 new drives for that price, literally.

Tony Serek, Feb 22, 2018 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    They charge that much for one simple reason: they can. The value in the data to the person seeking their services obviously justifies the cost in enough cases that tjhey can charge this fee. Of course, my guess is that they mostly charge this fee to businesses who can afford it and for whom the data is that valuable.

jrbiz, Feb 22, 2018 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    You should only need to learn this lesson once.
    You could have just bought 2 and used them for a daily onsite and weekly offsite backup, literally.

Kerosene, Jun 23, 2018 IP
  4. Data Wizard

Data Wizard Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there! While data recovery might be costly, paying $1500 or more for a clicking hard drive seems unreasonable. However, I used some reasonably priced data recovery software that is easily available on the market and works great—just research reviews to pick the best one. However, clicking noises might mean physical damage, so the software has its limits. For crucial data in that case, consider professional help.

Data Wizard, Mar 8, 2024 IP
  5. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well how someone said they charge so much because they can .Just imagine you lose important data that you need .Then of course you will pay good money to recover it

Spartan14, Mar 8, 2024 IP